Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you love war for its own sake?
I would say that I'm more liberal than conservative, and I like/love war for its own sake. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I would say that I'm more liberal than conservative, and I dislike/hate war for its own sake. 61%  61%  [ 19 ]
I would say that I'm more conservative than liberal, and I like/love war for its own sake. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I would say that I'm more conservative than liberal, and I dislike/hate war for its own sake. 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 31

monty
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 7:57 am

The average person understands enough about war and cancer to oppose it and try to prevent it. Half or more cancer is preventable by changing attitudes and behavior. Pro war politicians don't elect themselves.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 8:07 am

Izaak wrote:
I recognise the need for war. But I do not like it.

Agreed.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 8:29 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
monty wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
Most people do not understand the science of war. So what is the point in descusing the moral implications of it.

Most people do not understand the science of cancer, but they understand the implications of a cancer diagnosis.

Doctors, who have an understanding of cancer, are responsible for dealing with cancer.

People, who don’t understand the science of war, are making the decisions. They do it in the name of god.

Which implies that all wars are fought for religion, which is not the case. It also implies that all wars are fought blindly, with no concept of cost or cause....

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 9:20 am

Saying you're "anti-war" sounds wonderful in principle, but what do you do when another people attacks your country without warning and kills 3,000 civilians, and then continues making detailed and well-funded plans for futher attacks against you?
Do you cower, and say, "Please, Mr. Terrorist, please... don't hurt me..."? History shows that diplomacy with terrorists does not work, because terrorists by their nature are beyond seriously considering diplomatic efforts, just as the criminally insane are beyond reasoned approaches to behaving peacefully. If you can convince a back-alley thug with a gun not to take your wallet through words alone, then maybe you have something there with this "anti-war" philosophy, but until then, we must defend ourselves against the very real threats that al-Qaeda has made and continues to make against us.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 9:29 am

Ragtime wrote:
Saying you're anti-war sounds wonderful in principle, but what do you do when another people attacks your country without warning and kills 3,000 civilians, and then continues making detailed and well-funded plans for futher attacks against you?
Do you cower, and say, "Please, Mr. Terrorist, please... don't hurt me..."? History shows that diplomacy with terrorists does not work, because terrorists by their nature are beyond considering diplomacy, just as the criminally insane are beyond reasoned approaches to behaving peacefully. If you can convince a back-alley thug not to take your wallet, maybe you have something there with this "anti-war" philosophy, but until then, we must defend ourselves against the very real threats that al-Qaeda has made and continues to make against us.

We knew about along but didn't knew the targets were.

And we let the Japanese in the Japanese-American Pacific War to strike first give us the reason to fight them.

Lincoln told the Confederates about resupplying Ft. Sumter and made them strike the first blow.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 9:31 am

JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Saying you're anti-war sounds wonderful in principle, but what do you do when another people attacks your country without warning and kills 3,000 civilians, and then continues making detailed and well-funded plans for futher attacks against you?
Do you cower, and say, "Please, Mr. Terrorist, please... don't hurt me..."? History shows that diplomacy with terrorists does not work, because terrorists by their nature are beyond considering diplomacy, just as the criminally insane are beyond reasoned approaches to behaving peacefully. If you can convince a back-alley thug not to take your wallet, maybe you have something there with this "anti-war" philosophy, but until then, we must defend ourselves against the very real threats that al-Qaeda has made and continues to make against us.

I meant no formal, official, internationally-recognized declaration of war given by a head of state.
Just organized crime.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 9:35 am

Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I meant no formal, official, internationally-recognized declaration of war given by a head of state.
Just organized crime.

Vietnam is the same thing because the US Congress never officially declared war on North Vietnam.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 10:24 am

JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Just organized crime.

Vietnam is the same thing because the US Congress never officially declared war on North Vietnam.

You know what you can do?
You can deal with my entire post, instead of just trying to impishly throw a stick in the spokes like a loser.

If you're "anti-war", how are you going to respond when another entity threatens you with violence, and you know that that threat is very real?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 12:08 pm

Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Just organized crime.

You can deal with my entire post, instead of just trying to impishly throw a stick in the spokes like a loser.

If you're "anti-war", how are you going to respond when another entity threatens you with violence, and you know that that threat is very real?

Subjective to the size, organisation, threat level, placement etc, war may be AN option, but its hardly the ONLY option. Besides, how exactly do you declare war on something so ephemeral and random?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:09 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Just organized crime.

Subjective to the size, organisation, threat level, placement etc, war may be AN option, but its hardly the ONLY option. Besides, how exactly do you declare war on something so ephemeral and random?

I agreed with you because deterrents and other things can work more effectively than war itself.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2008, 1:18 pm

JerryHatake wrote:

And we let the Japanese in the Japanese-American Pacific War to strike first give us the reason to fight them.

Wrong, what do you mean "we let the Japanese in the Japanese-American Pacific War to strike first give us the reason to fight them."

There where no warnings of the pearl harbor battle. However, after the battle, the USA declared war against japan, no big suprise.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:20 pm

grain-and-field wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

Wrong, what do you mean "we let the Japanese in the Japanese-American Pacific War to strike first give us the reason to fight them."

There where no warnings of the pearl harbor battle. However, after the battle, the USA declared war against japan, no big suprise.

There were warnings, but nobody paid any attention to them.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:23 pm

Macbeth wrote:
grain-and-field wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

Yeah there were warnings, MAGIC find something and no one listen and a radar station pick up the attack but higher ups thought it was our planes coming in.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2008, 1:23 pm

Macbeth wrote:

Yes, I guess you are right. But, im also right. I mean, warnings about things come "in all the time" [to officials] but most warnings are "fake".

There where warnings, like you say, but certain officials dident believe anything like PH could ever happen, and who can blame them!

So, we are both right. I think.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:30 pm

Quote:
As the first wave approached Oʻahu, an Army SCR-270 radar at Opana Point, near the island's northern tip (a post not yet operational, having been in training mode for months), detected them and called in a warning. Although the operators reported a target echo larger than anything they had ever seen, an untrained officer at the new and only partially activated Intercept Center, Lieutenant Kermit A. Tyler, presumed the scheduled arrival of six B-17 bombers was the source because the direction from which the aircraft were coming was close (only a few degrees separated the two inbound courses);[24] the operators had never seen a formation as large as the U.S. bombers' on radar;[25] and possibly because the operators had only seen the lead element of incoming attack.

The first wave of planes at Pearl plus don't forget the five midget subs before the attack as well.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:32 pm

grain-and-field wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Yes, I guess you are right. But, im also right. I mean, warnings about things come "in all the time" [to officials] but most warnings are "fake".

There where warnings, like you say, but certain officials dident believe anything like PH could ever happen, and who can blame them!

So, we are both right. I think.

Didnt, but should have... Anybody "surprised" by an attack occurring halfway through a global conflict probably isn't paying as much attention as they should. Anybody who, during the same conflict, decides to rank up all their shiny toys like so many lead soldiers is going to pay the price. The shame is, as always, that so many people died in a battle that could have been avoided. Which is a microcosm of the whole concept of war. If it can be avoided, it should be, because those who get hurt the most are those who have the least say in things.