Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you love war for its own sake?
I would say that I'm more liberal than conservative, and I like/love war for its own sake. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I would say that I'm more liberal than conservative, and I dislike/hate war for its own sake. 61%  61%  [ 19 ]
I would say that I'm more conservative than liberal, and I like/love war for its own sake. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I would say that I'm more conservative than liberal, and I dislike/hate war for its own sake. 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 31

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:34 pm

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/t ... /pearl.htm

The Japanese-American Pacific War was bloody and total war literally. Look at the fire bombings of Japan and Japanese treatment of POWs and other civilians.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 1:45 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Saying you're anti-war sounds wonderful in principle, but what do you do when another people attacks your country without warning and kills 3,000 civilians, and then continues making detailed and well-funded plans for futher attacks against you?
Do you cower, and say, "Please, Mr. Terrorist, please... don't hurt me..."? History shows that diplomacy with terrorists does not work, because terrorists by their nature are beyond considering diplomacy, just as the criminally insane are beyond reasoned approaches to behaving peacefully. If you can convince a back-alley thug not to take your wallet, maybe you have something there with this "anti-war" philosophy, but until then, we must defend ourselves against the very real threats that al-Qaeda has made and continues to make against us.

We knew about along but didn't knew the targets were.

I meant no formal, official, internationally-recognized declaration of war given by a head of state.
Just organized crime.

Vietnam is the same thing because the US Congress never officially declared war on North Vietnam.

You know what you can do?
You can deal with my entire post, instead of just trying to impishly throw a stick in the spokes like a loser.

If you're "anti-war", how are you going to respond when another entity threatens you with violence, and you know that that threat is very real?

Subjective to the size, organisation, threat level, placement etc, war may be AN option, but its hardly the ONLY option. Besides, how exactly do you declare war on something so ephemeral and random?

I agreed with you because deterrents and other things can work more effectively than war itself.

In some circumstances. But in certain other circumstances, war is the best option to bring eventual peace.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 2:03 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Saying you're anti-war sounds wonderful in principle, but what do you do when another people attacks your country without warning and kills 3,000 civilians, and then continues making detailed and well-funded plans for futher attacks against you?
Do you cower, and say, "Please, Mr. Terrorist, please... don't hurt me..."? History shows that diplomacy with terrorists does not work, because terrorists by their nature are beyond considering diplomacy, just as the criminally insane are beyond reasoned approaches to behaving peacefully. If you can convince a back-alley thug not to take your wallet, maybe you have something there with this "anti-war" philosophy, but until then, we must defend ourselves against the very real threats that al-Qaeda has made and continues to make against us.

I meant no formal, official, internationally-recognized declaration of war given by a head of state.
Just organized crime.

Vietnam is the same thing because the US Congress never officially declared war on North Vietnam.

it doesn't help that the august 4th gulf of tonkin incident was an entirely fictional event used to help elevate the fighting in vietnam.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 2:23 pm

skafather84 wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Just organized crime.

it doesn't help that the august 4th gulf of tonkin incident was an entirely fictional event used to help elevate the fighting in vietnam.

yeah everyone believes that happened when it never happen in the first place.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 2:28 pm

What kind of a question is that? The only people who like war are those with a vested interest in it... arms manufacturers, governments, etc.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 4:47 pm

monty wrote:
The average person understands enough about war and cancer to oppose it and try to prevent it. Half or more cancer is preventable by changing attitudes and behavior. Pro war politicians don't elect themselves.

To understand war you need to understand the nature of humankind. This is done by studying how evolution has effected us.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 5:06 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Saying you're "anti-war" sounds wonderful in principle, but what do you do when another people attacks your country without warning and kills 3,000 civilians, and then continues making detailed and well-funded plans for futher attacks against you?
Do you cower, and say, "Please, Mr. Terrorist, please... don't hurt me..."? History shows that diplomacy with terrorists does not work, because terrorists by their nature are beyond seriously considering diplomatic efforts, just as the criminally insane are beyond reasoned approaches to behaving peacefully. If you can convince a back-alley thug with a gun not to take your wallet through words alone, then maybe you have something there with this "anti-war" philosophy, but until then, we must defend ourselves against the very real threats that al-Qaeda has made and continues to make against us.

I actually thought you were talking about the US Government until you said al-Qaeda...

I think that says a lot about that particular country. The biggest war-mongers of them all.

al-Qaeda doesn't actually exist... it's the boogeyman that hides under the bed; a personification of fear used to control and manipulate. Nothing more.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 6:18 pm

I am the one, and apparently the ONLY one who voted that I like war for wars sake :lol: .
War is exciting, its dramatic, its intellectually interesting and it CAN be fun to fight at times!
Everything, including, has negative aspects and positive aspects. War isnt all bad folks. :wink:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 7:12 pm

^No not unless in you're in the middle of it yourself and watching civilians like women, men, and children actually getting killed for the sake of the fun. Just like a PC or Wii game.

If not watching civilians getting killed than being one of them. My grandpa's a veteran of war. He can tell what it's really all about.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 7:20 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
^No not unless in you're in the middle of it yourself and watching civilians like women, men, and children actually getting killed for the sake of the fun. Just like a PC or Wii game.

If not watching civilians getting killed than being one of them. My grandpa's a veteran of war. He can tell what it's really all about.

I Do realize war is no fun for (unarmed)civilians MissConstrue. But from other perspectives it really does seem pretty exciting.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2008, 9:46 am

D1nk0 wrote:

I Do realize war is no fun for (unarmed)civilians MissConstrue. But from other perspectives it really does seem pretty exciting.

I can understand your point. I think.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 10:29 am

LeKiwi wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Saying you're "anti-war" sounds wonderful in principle, but what do you do when another people attacks your country without warning and kills 3,000 civilians, and then continues making detailed and well-funded plans for futher attacks against you?
Do you cower, and say, "Please, Mr. Terrorist, please... don't hurt me..."? History shows that diplomacy with terrorists does not work, because terrorists by their nature are beyond seriously considering diplomatic efforts, just as the criminally insane are beyond reasoned approaches to behaving peacefully. If you can convince a back-alley thug with a gun not to take your wallet through words alone, then maybe you have something there with this "anti-war" philosophy, but until then, we must defend ourselves against the very real threats that al-Qaeda has made and continues to make against us.

I actually thought you were talking about the US Government until you said al-Qaeda...

I think that says a lot about that particular country. The biggest war-mongers of them all.

Actually, it speaks more directly to your tendency to misperceive.

LeKiwi wrote:
al-Qaeda doesn't actually exist... it's the boogeyman that hides under the bed; a personification of fear used to control and manipulate. Nothing more.

I rest my case.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 5:04 am

I like war-games. Deploying troops is fun. But the gory, history-in-the-making stuff in RL seems highly bothersome, and potentially dangerous.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 8:34 am

PLA wrote:
I like war-games. Deploying troops is fun. But the gory, history-in-the-making stuff in RL seems highly bothersome, and potentially dangerous.

Your nation has a tank better the M1A2-Abrams. The S-Tank kicks butt and us Americans don't accept it. I do at least because your tanks rock.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 9:22 am

LeKiwi wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "exists". There definitely was a terrorist organization in Afganistan that orchestrated the 9/11 attacks. The actual organization itself pretty much ceased to exist after the US invasion of Afganistan, there never was a "vast terrorist network" (a notion not created by the neocons, but was, according to a BBC documentary I watched on the parallel rise of Islamism and Neoconservatism, the result of bad intelligence in the late 90's when an Islamist caught in the US exaggerated the scale and power of Al-Qaeda). The name "Al-Qaeda" has become an ideological label for independent radical Sunni terrorist groups that want people to think they are hot stuff.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 9:27 am

I am "anti-war," though I am not a pacifist. Non-defensive war should only be used as a last resort, when all other options have failed or the situation is so critical there is no time for other options.