Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 7:39 am

Did you read in childhood?
When I was little I had collections of stories of this kind from all parts of the world - Slavic, Scandinavian, American Indian tales and so on. I had also a thin book with tales coming from such exotic places like Polyneysia or Canary Islands that was my favourite one - I loved stories about Maranda whose craddle was made of a shell, about Ranira of the Salt Lake or about Lamu and a benign The Spirit of the Sea. I read also more conventional stories about Little Red Riding Hood or Sleeping Beauty.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 12:47 pm

You sound like Joseph Campbell.

My daughter prefers the Disney version of fairy tales.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 10:22 pm

As child, I read as many of the rainbow* fairy tale anthologies collected by Andrew Lang (they were each at least a couple hundred pages long) as I could get ahold of. Grimm, Arthur Rackham, lushly & elaborately illustrated fairy tales, Ali Baba/Arabian Nights-all in book form. Mother was librarian so I had plenty of time & privileged access to plenty of printed material.
*(titled for various colors: such as pink, red, blue, and so on).

Have well-used (missing the cover & end pages) book of stories for kids about Native Americans (formerly "Indians"), with fictional child example from several different tribes.
"Just-so Stories" by Rudyard Kipling.
Enjoyed Greek/Roman/Norse adventure myths, ancient tales of humans & their gods.
Also a spooky book (for kids) with unnerving drawings about sailor's tales, such as eating shoe leather to survive, and sightings of the Flying Dutchman ghost ship. Gave me nightmares !

Favorite kind were like the William Steig (illustrations & writing) books, such as "Dominic" and "Abel's Island"-animals as main characters, living their normal lives (minus humans).
"Babar the elephant" stories, "The Cricket of Times Square", and so on.
Didn't much care for Disney (aesthetic or mindset), though.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 7:31 am

pandabear wrote:
You sound like Joseph Campbell.

Damn, nice reference!