Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 8:23 am

A while ago I ran into an interesting social-psychological theory about how a person's value system develops called Spiral Dynamics. It hypothesizes that value systems have cognitively-based conceptual foundations called value-memes (vMemes) and that these conceptual foundations evolve or regress in particular order.

I find the theory pretty interesting, though the New Age "philosopher" Ken Wilbur seems to have hijacked it for his own BS uses.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 2:16 pm

Odin wrote:
A while ago I ran into an interesting social-psychological theory about how a person's value system develops called Spiral Dynamics. It hypothesizes that value systems have cognitively-based conceptual foundations called value-memes (vMemes) and that these conceptual foundations evolve or regress in particular order.

I find the theory pretty interesting, though the New Age "philosopher" Ken Wilbur seems to have hijacked it for his own BS uses.

It's all based on Dawkin's idea of the meme, introduced in 1976. Lookituponwiki!

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 3:17 pm

monty wrote:
Odin wrote:

It's all based on Dawkin's idea of the meme, introduced in 1976. Lookituponwiki!

Actually, the theory originated back in the 60s, before the "meme" concept was invented, the proteges of the psychologist who first developed it simplified the terminology in the late 80s and used the meme concept to help explain how the theory works.

Here is the best site on it I could find on it that isn't based on New Age BS bastardizations of the theory:

http://www.spiraldynamics.org/index.htm

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 7:01 pm

methinks Ragtime is a perfect example of the Blue vMeme...

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 2:08 pm

Wouldn't most aspies be orange vMeme?

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 2:40 pm

matrix wrote:
Wouldn't most aspies be orange vMeme?

Possibly. Very religious or dogmatically ideological aspies are most likely Blue. Einstein was a perfect example of a Green aspie. There are probably more Yellows among aspies then there are among NTs