Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

lau
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 2:31 pm

Orwell wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
"Ooh, you've got a virus, have some drugs to kill some bacteria!" :roll:

I sat in on a class at the University of Pennsylvania where the professor talked about using antibiotics against eukaryotic parasite infections (such as malaria). Now, I found out later the class was only for nursing students, but still, that's scary. This was an Ivy League school, and dangit, eukaryotes don't have cell walls for antibiotics to tear down! That's why we can take penicillin and other antibiotics without negative effects, it only kills bacteria.

It would appear that you are misinterpreting the meaning of the word "antibiotic".

The drugs used to treat malaria (a protozoan) are also termed antibiotics, as are those used to treat fungal infections.

An antibiotic is any drug that is used to treat micro-organisms.

Now, using an antibiotic that is a broad spectrum bactericide to treat malaria would sound suspicious, but is that what your professor was saying?

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 2:38 pm

I've never heard them called antibiotics? They're always termed 'antifungals' or fungicides, or for malaria just 'antimalarials/antimalarial drugs' when I've come across them? (My uncle had malaria after a trip to Africa so I've seen this first-hand).

You're right though, the biotic part of antibiotic refers to 'life' rather than bacteria... (Makes them sound nice eh, 'against life').

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 1:18 am

beau99 wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Beau, mercury accumulates in ALL our bodies; it's bioaccumulative. The body can get rid of tiny amounts of it, but if you add it up and add it up it becomes a toxic overload.

Methylmercury does, yes.

But thimerosal doesn't contain methylmercury.

It contains ethyl mercury, right?

Comparison of Blood and Brain Mercury Levels in Infant Monkeys Exposed to Methylmercury or Vaccines Containing Thimerosal.
Environmental Health Perspectives, Aug 2005.
Thomas Burbacher, PhD [University of Washington].
This study demonstrates clearly and unequivocally that ethyl mercury, the kind of mercury found in vaccines, not only ends up in the brain, but leaves double the amount of inorganic mercury as methyl mercury, the kind of mercury found in fish. This work is groundbreaking because little is known about ethyl mercury, and many health authorities have asserted that the mercury found in vaccines is the "safe kind." This study also delivers a strong rebuke of the Institute of Medicine's recommendation in 2004 to no longer pursue the mercury-autism connection. Excerpt:
"A recently published IOM review (IOM 2004) appears to have abandoned the earlier recommendation [of studying mercury and autism] as well as back away from the American Academy of Pediatrics goal [of removing mercury from vaccines]. This approach is difficult to understand, given our current limited knowledge of the toxicokinetics and developmental neurotoxicity of thimerosal, a compound that has been (and will continue to be) injected in millions of newborns and infants."

8th Cmdmt: Thou Shalt Not Steal.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:55 am

LoveableNerd wrote:
beau99 wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Beau, mercury accumulates in ALL our bodies; it's bioaccumulative. The body can get rid of tiny amounts of it, but if you add it up and add it up it becomes a toxic overload.

Methylmercury does, yes.

But thimerosal doesn't contain methylmercury.

It contains ethyl mercury, right?

No. It metabolises to produce ethyl mercury.

A simpler link, to the lead researcher, and thence to the actual article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Burbacher

generationrescue.org have drawn conclusions from the report that are not present in the report.