Why are so many people offended by my signature?

Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 12:19 pm

Quote:
I personally relate closer to Athism, as sometimes religion just complicates things, but I'm a Buddhist because one of my main goals is inner peace (plus you don't have to believe in a higher power, which I'm very wishy washy about)

Budhism is considered a religion, but also as a philosophy. BTW everyone has a higher power, divine, material, or otherwise. Not everybody realizes this, however. Buddhism is not exactly atheism. It definitely includes ideas like divinity, love, compassion, and wisdom.

Plus I think you're pretty selfish if al you care about is inner peace. Selfish and lazy. I have no patience for people who are spiritually lazy.

Last edited by slowmutant on 02 Jun 2008, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2008, 3:44 pm

There are a lot of stuff on here that I could comment on but I won't as I'm new and I don't know you well enough to tell if any of the comments are meant as jokes or not.

Instead I draw your attention to this, it's a bit of fun but a quite accurate assessment of how your personal beliefs fit in with the values of the 20 or so most commonly recognised organised religions:

What religion are you?

For the record I am a secular humanist

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 7:56 pm

Well, try to put in any other religion or race and see what you get:

Jews drain wisdom. Wisdom that gives hope.
Blacks are people who have lost faith & imagination therfore have no character.
Mexicans drain wisdom. Wisdom that gives hope.
Christians are people who have lost faith & imagination therfore have no character.
Mormons drain wisdom. Wisdom that gives hope.
Asians are people who have lost faith & imagination therfore have no character.

If you can't see that making broad generalizations about ANY race, religion, or any other category that can possibly be used to describe someone would offend, than you really haven't spent much time outdoors, have you?

What if someone had in their signature:

Autistics drain wisdom. Wisdom that gives hope.
Autistics are people who have lost faith & imagination therfore have no character.

I assume you wouldn't be to happy about that, would you? You would probably assume them to be a troll, only posting to stir up people and make them angry?

Think before you post, even your signature.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 5:21 am

Stimshieme wrote:
Just would like to know. I've had people bashing me about it, frankly I can't see anything wrong my statements.

Spinoza didn't believe in the Christian god. I think your signature implies that he does. I could be wrong, but If I recall correctly he may have even been an atheist. Can anyone correct me?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 9:46 am

IF the OP can't see what's wrong with his statements, perhaps one day somebody will help him to understand using the tried and true "Punch-in-the-Face" teaching method. That's the kind of lesson you don't forget.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 6:05 pm

I like your signature. :)

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 10:34 pm

Meh, people like to be offended as they're overly sensitive about matters that people shouldn't take so seriously.

If people just didn't get so obsessed about such vain things or opinions on religion, race, gender, mentality, etc then things would be better off. Everyone is unique and everyone has equal rights, entitlements and capacity to choose whatever they want to do. But people also have a right to an opinion too, regardless of what it is, as that is freedom of speech. Sure I don't like what some people say and find it offensive, but I'm not going to hound them to death in harass for their opinion. I choose to just not care that much, and not take it too seriously if the opinion is rather too broad, obviously a mindless insult or ridiculous in my opinion.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 10:36 pm

Why are so many people offended by Autism Speaks?

That is an equally valid question.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 10:43 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Why are so many people offended by Autism Speaks?

That is an equally valid question.

Doesn't Autism Speaks advocate euthanasia, abortion, controlled breeding... that type of stuff, in order to rid the gene pool of autism? Or are they a magic potion group or something else?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 10:45 pm

Are people offended by euthanasia, abortion, and forced breeding? Why would these things offend anyone who is not hysterically crazy?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 10:49 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Are people offended by euthanasia, abortion, and forced breeding? Why would these things offend anyone who is not hysterically crazy?

LOL!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 10:51 pm

Honestly, I have no idea what's offensive and what isn't. It's a big secret everyone is keeping from me, I think. Everybody's pretty stupid if they don't want me to know about offensive things.

watcheroftheskies
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2008, 10:53 pm

it is offensive because it shows no respect for someone elses beliefs or lack of beliefs, a long answer is not necessary to explain that.
you should stop wasting your time disliking people for what they believe or not and take care of your own life. if there is someone that offends you because you believe in god that means that person has also no respect for other people´s beliefs, but the answer is not to disrespect back, because that person will not be the only victim of your lack of respect.
do you think someone is wrong? you tell them what is right. don´t be as wrong as they are.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 11:01 pm

Wrong as who? I am not disrespecting anyone here. I just want to know why people get offended by stuff & junk. No need to upset with me. I can comprehend why the sig was offenseive. And I can also comprehend why euthanasia, abortion, and forced breeding are bad. :wink: :wink:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 11:02 pm

Doesn't it drive you crazy when people are purposefully obtuse?

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 12:19 pm

Athiests drain wisdom. Wisdom that gives hope.
"They wish to cure us...and I say we are the cure" - Magneto
Athiests are people who have lost faith & imagination therfore have no character.
"I believe in Spinoza's God", Einstein

I think you're trying to make a valid point, but I think that atheism and theism are more complicated than you think. For example, I believe that I am both atheist and theist and it's valid and logical. The way that that is true is dependent on how you define God or god. So, define your terms: exactly what is it that the atheist doesn't believe in. If we're talking about the guy that was described in my catechism from grade school, then I'm an atheist, and this expresses my intelligence, so your comments could be offensive to me, because intelligence engenders hope. But, I believe that I have also experienced God, in this way: To me, being with "God" is the opposite of when you are talking b_ _lls_ _ t. You know inside that something isn't ringing true. When you're walking with the Truth, EXACTLY as it is, then you are walking with God and this is totally different than a childish story of some man with a beard sitting in the clouds. When you continually try to experience the exact truth, then you have a chance to be reborn again moment after moment, so in this way, you, and the universe are "created" by God. (Disclosure: I'm Buddhist, so that's a Buddhist description of God--or "Buddha" if you will, same thing to me).

In the end, it is best to try to find a way that expresses your opinion clearly but doesn't offend other people. Keep going in your own direction, but don't oppose others. Cherish your beliefs, but don't put them in opposition to others so that there is disharmony, or, carried to the logical conclusion, war.

But I know how you feel. My brothers and sisters are atheists and they think I have sold out, but just don't realize the breadth of possibilities in how one can understand or experience God, and in that way I think they have lost imagination, but if they mean that they don't believe in superstition or magical incantations or the sins of religion (like war), then they have a valid point. Their point and yours could be mutially respected, if everyone would just define their terms better.

Last edited by WonderWoman on 03 Jun 2008, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.