Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 1:58 pm

I want to upgrade my computer to be able to play the upper tier games (Battlefield 2 and the like) and was wondering what would be the minimum video card I would need to do that (while making the game look "good.")

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 9:13 pm

In order for games to look good and run good, you also have to take into account how fast your CPU is and how much RAM you have. What do you have for a video card now? Do you know your computer specs? I play Battlefeild 2 as well. I have a Althon 2400 CPU (runs at 2 Ghz), 1.5 GB RAM, and a Nvidia 256 MB Gforce 6800 GT video card. BF2 runs ok, But I'm bottlenecked becuase the CPU is so low. BF2 is a very demanding game, they also don't have all the bugs worked out of it yet. In a couple of weeks I'm going to do a major upgrade to my system, getting a better motherboards, CPU and faster RAM so I can play the games they way they should be.
You also have to know what kind of connector your video card has for fitting in your motherboard. AGP was the norm, but just this last year they came out with a newer one called PCI express. Video cards have only one type of connector. You need to get the same one that goes with your motherboard.
I hope I'm not overwelming you. It sounds more complex then it is, really.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2005, 12:07 am

If cost is an issue, you could always go for nVidia's GeForce 6600GT. (The 128 MB DDR3 AGP one)

It is very good for its price, and can play Battlefield 2 at higher settings iwth minimal loss of frame rate.

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2005, 8:01 am

While I'm thinking of it, I'd like to post my video card necessities if you don't mind me doing so.

I'm running a computer bought back in June 2003 on an Asus P4PE motherboard with a 'ye olde' GeForce4 MX440 video card.

I want to buy Star Wars Battlefront II when it comes out, and it specifically does not support GeForce4 cards. I want to get a new one, but I'm aware that video cards now run on a PCI Express slot, which I'm sure the P4PE board doesn't have.

Can anyone suggest an AGP slot card that I could use to run the game on? Even low settings?

Thank guys,

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2005, 6:00 pm

TheOrangeMage wrote:
If cost is an issue, you could always go for nVidia's GeForce 6600GT. (The 128 MB DDR3 AGP one)

It is very good for its price, and can play Battlefield 2 at higher settings iwth minimal loss of frame rate.

This above card comes in AGP format. I got the one from XFX, which does pretty good. Comes with a few games, too.

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2005, 4:03 am

Thanks, I looked it up. I also saw a Gigabyte model for an extra $10. Is XFX a reputable brand in video cards? From my anicent memories, Gigabte were solid with motherboards by I don't know how good they were with cards...

Btw, since my main board is Asus, would it be recommended to go for an Asus video card? I suppose my question is, Asus, Gigabyte, or XFX?

Thanks again.

EDIT: New info... my brother recommended an Albatron 6600GT, which he runs on his computer... so add that to the list... :wink:

Knasher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2005, 4:17 pm

Ive seen it run on a 5800. Its not perfect and I would't go any lower than that but if your budget is an issue then thats the bar.

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2005, 4:23 pm

Thanks for the recommendation but I've already mad my purchase. :D

I ended up getting a Gigabyte 6600 GT. My P4 2.6 GHz can play Battlefront II at 80 fps at 1024x768 (which is the highest resolution my old 15 inch monitor supports), which is very good by me.

Thanks everyone!

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/