Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

pending
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2008, 10:04 pm

Other than your family members and friends, who has been most helpful to you? Psychologists? Speech therapists? Psychiatrists? School teachers?

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 10:43 pm

Forum people and the speech pathologist I work with at school. She has been working for 30 years and specializes in working with individuals who are on the spectrum. She is wonderful!

Last edited by natesmom on 22 May 2008, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 11:39 pm

My middle school teachers and forum folks.

And my BF, but I think that qualifies as family.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 12:20 am

Teachers, counsellors, doctors, mental health workers.

To name a few.

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2008, 2:37 am

To be honest, the people here at Wrong Planet!

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:39 am

We hit the jackpot in my son's elementary school -- he had a wonderful speech therapist who not only "got" asperger's and the need for social skills development, but she also went to bat for us with the school administration when they were (briefly) considering putting my son into the autism satellite program when he was in first grade. She just told them, basically, that they didn't understand his asperger's, that he could function just fine in the regular ed program.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 11:59 am

child advocate

rysingsun
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 May 2008, 9:53 pm

The most helpful for me? The nice resource room teacher who understands my son - I then go to her for everything even if she isn't his teacher anymore.
Dawn

pending
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2008, 6:45 pm

does anyone think psychiatrists help at all? has anyone had a really good psychiatrist? if so, what was she/he like?

rysingsun
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2008, 8:42 pm

It has been my experience that psychiatrists are beneficial for prescribing medication, but not so much with behavior therapy. Psychologists or LCSW's are beneficial for behavior therapy. It all depends on what you are wanting from the professional as to which one you go to. You really should have a "team" of doctors anyway who all communicate with each other regarding your child's care. For example, you could have an LCSW to work with your child on behavior therapy, a psychiatrist who manages his medication, and a primary care physician who has experience working with children on the autism spectrum. When there is a question about medication, your PCP and LCSW can call your psychiatrist for an opinion.
Dawn