**Paleolithic-Diet Fan Club/Support Thread**

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 4:01 pm

I eat blue cheese because I love it... :oops: No other reason!

I'm going to have to cut out all dairy sources now though, I think. I just don't quite know what to do about protein as I don't eat red meat, and soy is really bad for you. I get the bumps on my face which I've been ignoring but they're getting quite bad so I think I'll have to get rid of it altogether.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 May 2008, 1:42 am

LeKiwi wrote:
I eat blue cheese because I love it... :oops: No other reason! I'm going to have to cut out all dairy sources now though, I think. I get the bumps on my face which I've been ignoring but they're getting quite bad so I think I'll have to get rid of it altogether.

It is annoying, because it is an easy source of calcium, and me too I love it. I was hoping that you were going to tell me that blue cheese was less of a problem. Perhaps could eat it at intervals, like once a week/fortnight?

I like almonds, which are rich in calcium, and hazelnuts, but sesame seeds, another super source of calcium, tends to upset my guts badly, so... :( :?

I'm not worried about protein though because I am now eating red meat most days.

Quote:
I just don't quite know what to do about protein because I don't eat red meat, and soy is really bad for you.

I agree about soya, after having read a fair amount now about its negative side, ( incl. how it is suppressive of thyroid function), but am wondering why you don't eat red meat?

Fish, and shellfish, is good source of protein, though, as are eggs, and fowl/bird. Protein shouldn't be a problem even without red meat.

:study:

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 May 2008, 1:51 am

wsmac wrote:
I have switched from dairy milk to soy milk and I really like it.

I am avoiding soya products since I read that soya suppresses thyroid function, and I think I may have some degree of thyroid disfunction/auto-immune thyroiditis which I don't want to aggravate.

Also I don't think that there is as much calcium in it, ( ?) so it's not what I need anyway.
Quote:
I also have enjoyed goat's milk which is different than cow milk I believe.

That's what I was counting on, but it was a goat's cheese that I ate last week, and it still set me off. :( Thanks for the thought anyway. :)

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 May 2008, 2:03 am

fabshelly wrote:
Thank God dairy likes me.

I wish it did me. :cry: You're very lucky.

How long have you been on a high-meat, no/low-carbohydrate diet as described/promoted on the MagicBus site?

What do you find works best with meat? I have already noticed that tomato is less digestible than green beans, parsley, or lettuce for example. But perhaps that's just because I'm not from South America! :wink:

Have you noticed it having any effect on you mentally? I am amazed by its deep sleep inducing qualities, ( as stated previous page) ; have you experienced this?

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 May 2008, 2:06 am

Finally, the food I've eaten! Yesterday;

5 Tiger prawns, and a few carrot and cucumber sticks, with very garlicky mayonnaise.

Three lamb's kidneys, with fresh mushrooms, and bacon bits, cooked in goose fat with garlic and herbs, served with green beans.

Half an avocado with seasalt.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 7:39 am

I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste and I don't like how I feel when I've eaten it... kinda heavy and sluggish and lethargic, and I can't think clearly. If I do ever eat it I make sure it's organic and free-range too because I hate how they're treated a lot of the time.

Protein is the problem for me, I'm allergic to eggs so that means I have to have lots of nuts and seeds like quinoa and lentils to boost my levels, which isn't a problem as I love them, but even so...

I think I'm just going to do a dairy-cleanse, not eat it for a week or so and then reintroduce it a bit again, especially cheese for the protein content. Most of my calcium comes from green veges anyway so I'm not worried about that (I looooooove green veges). But I'm definitely intolerent so need to be careful how much I eat - I don't eat a lot anyway, but I do love yoghurt and cheese.

I have family history of thyroid problems so have to be really careful about avoiding soy.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 May 2008, 8:56 am

LeKiwi wrote:
I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste and I don't like how I feel when I've eaten it... kinda heavy and sluggish and lethargic, and I can't think clearly.

I'm getting the big sleepy feeling, as if my body is suddenly relaxing after a big strain. Is that what you mean? it is completely weird, like I said in my post on page 1, because I have most of my adult life taken it for granted that I can stay awake as long as I like, never fall asleep involuntarily, etc, and suddenly with meat I am feeling like my body is taking over for a change, and demanding rest.

For protein you can still eat fish though, right? I don't eat eggs much; I only half like them, ( the yolk) , but I can see that it is annoying as an almost-veggie not to be able to use them.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 9:53 am

Yeah, I do eat fish... yum yum! I try not to too often though, say once a week or so, because of the mercury content these days (thank you, pollution!). But I do love my fish. :mrgreen:

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 May 2008, 1:26 pm

Today I ate beef steak ( the thin kind of cut) with fried free-range organic egg fried in goose fat, served with green beans, a few cherry tomatoes, and seasalt.

Unsugared apple and plum puree with almond flakes and a few raisins.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 May 2008, 4:15 pm

Was doing so well, and feeling increasingly capable of action, ... and then today had visitors and I couldn't quite get my head round serving an entirely protein and no-carbohydrate meal, ( I still feel embarrassed about animal protein, in the world of sound eco 'ish alt/fringe people who eat veggies and rice a lot), so I made spicy chickpea, carrot, and tomato hot-pot, with a few pieces of beef, with green beans and rice.

And ate some.

Then I ate a small piece of macaroon, ( sugar) and went on to eat a second, bigger plateful of lunch warmed up for my supper, followed by three rice cakes with marmelade. :( :oops: :(

Now feeling completely stoned/spacey. And totally disconnnected from reality, which I do not need as tomorrow I must have my head clear to deal with an important phone call; negotiating, explaining, stating, declaring, and asking a series of things about the academic inspection/control that my son is summoned to attend in 10 days time.

And I do not need to feel paranoid, or panicky or the other things that I usually feel after sugar consumption particularly. It's amazing how instantly the starchy carbos had me craving sugar again.

Bum.

PS: It was a lovely visit though. The other, english speaking, homeschooling mother and I talked non-stop apart for moments here and there when I zoned/flaked out rather, and her son and mine played non-stop and didn't want to stop when it came time to leave 5 hours later! :D

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2008, 5:34 am

Got back on track yesterday/the day after: black sausage with scrambled egg and lots of fresh parsley. :)

Avocado mush with carrot and cucumber sticks, followed by almond flakes and apple puree.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 8:32 pm

I've eaten pretty paleo for a few years now (except with booze).

Seems to keep me pretty slim & healthy, plus I like it.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Jun 2008, 8:01 am

juliekitty wrote:
...paleo... I like it.

Me too. :D

I am amazed to discover how much I like eating meat now that I no longer think of it as something "bad"/dubious/practically poisonous/unclean .

Today ate totally scrumptious hot-pot I cooked, with a big round thick piece of beef on a hollow bone with marrow, ( between 3 of us) that wasn't expensive, with carrots, flat/coco green beans, ( added at last moment so still sweet, almost crunchy and juicy), half a bottle of red wine, some tomatoes, and garlic, and chopped celery, and lots of parsley. Which was mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

Followed later by half of a packet of roquefort, blue goat's cheese, and see if can tolerate it, a dose of calcium-rich dairy once a week.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 6:47 pm

at the moment i eat a lot of fruit, some meat, and some whole wheat bread simply because it's easy. when i'm involved with rowing for over 4hrs a day and working for 7-8hrs per day i don't have much time to prepare a lot of food. it's much easier to pack 3 or 4 fruits, throw together a simple sandwich, and go.

sounds like a pretty decent diet if it's providing you with enough nutrients.

Shidash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2008, 8:50 pm

I have AS and it sounds like an interesting diet. How would I go about talking to my parents about it? Also, do you have links on it?

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 8:54 pm

If you google paleolithic or neanderthal diet, you'll find lots.

It's pretty simple, though. Could a caveman have had access to the food you're about to eat? If not, don't eat it.