something precious I thought I'd share

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 9:52 pm

Olivia was just crying in bed just now. Probably waking up in the dark brought on some anxiety or something.

I went in, picked her up and she put her head on my shoulder and said dada.

That's why I don't want her to grow up.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 9:59 pm

a few months of changing diapers and teething should cure you of that...;)

j/k...;) sounds precious. But they do have fun growing up.

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2008, 10:45 pm

Maybe she will grow up and say, "I love you" - how bad would that be?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 11:25 pm

digger1 wrote:
Olivia was just crying in bed just now. Probably waking up in the dark brought on some anxiety or something.

of course you do, she is who is going to hold you as close and call you dada when she is all grown up! :wink:

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 24 May 2008, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 11:40 pm

AW! That's the cutest thing ever! Reminds me of the way my nephew snuggles up to me after he wakes up from his naps. ^^

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2008, 11:54 pm

digger1 wrote:

Just out of curiousity, how severe was your Asperger's when you were 20 and how severe is it now? I'm trying to have some idea of what life holds for me.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 12:14 am

IpsoRandomo wrote:
Just out of curiousity, how severe was your Asperger's when you were 20 and how severe is it now? I'm trying to have some idea of what life holds for me.

not to be rude or anything but given the non-sequitus nature of your reply, I'm guessing your AS is pretty severe.

but to answer your question;

At 20, I didn't know I had it. I did have a couple of friends and I was at the height of my sexual peak and I was able to keep a job - part-time at $4.25/hr.

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2008, 12:18 am

digger1 wrote:
IpsoRandomo wrote:

not to be rude or anything but given the non-sequitus nature of your reply, I'm guessing your AS is pretty severe.

but to answer your question;

At 20, I didn't know I had it. I did have a couple of friends and I was at the height of my sexual peak and I was able to keep a job - part-time at $4.25/hr.

Well yeah, I knew my question would sound awkward, being so out of place, but it was a good opportunity. I'm at the same stage as you were at 20.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 12:24 am

that's why the spaghetti monster invented PMs.

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2008, 12:26 am

digger1 wrote:
that's why the spaghetti monster invented PMs.

OK, sorry I annoyed you so much.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 12:28 am

not at all.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 12:45 am

digger1 (aka, 'dada' from Olivia), Your baby is precious! Thank you for sharing.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 3:12 am

Digger1, your story sounds very heartwarming. You might recognize me from your other thread. While I might have come off a little rough that time, I understand how you feel a little better now. But I still think you should find way to look forward to Olivia growing up, rather than not wanting her to grow up at all. For instance, you liked the way she cuddled up against you now. But imagine how you might feel, when she's 3, and she makes you a nice (albeit childishly drawn) card for Father's Day that says "I love you daddy". And when she's 8, she might help you cook dinner as a birthday present for your wife. And when she's 15, she might win a contest of some sort that'll make you really proud of her.

If you look at this from the point of view I described, you might feel a lot better about your daughter growing up. She's still going to be your daughter, and she's still going to make you feel glad to be a father, only in different ways.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 3:24 am

I do miss my daughter's early years at times... probably like many parents do... but I have just been so fascinated watching her grow up.

I mean... here's this person who's 14 years old now... I've seen so many steps she's taken all these years towards who she is today.

Reading your posts Digger bring back my good memories.
I sincerely hope you have as wonderful a time with that very young person you are holding, as I am having with mine.

That's part of it for me... my daughter is a person... I have had the opportunity to study in close detail this remarkable transition from infant to teenager. There have been so many significant events that have occured, or subtle things that she's done that just fill me with wonder at how a human flourishes in life.

I have had the opportunity to watch closely as she has learned to control her body, learned to communicate with us, learned to express her feelings and her view of the world.

I don't know that I can adequately express my feelings well enough here.
I am just so thankful to have had this experience and I am looking forward to our remaining years together.

I know people who have not had children of their own, but have been involved with kids none-the-less.
I know from talking with those people how much they have appreciated the experience given to them.

Eh.. I'm kinda running on here... thanks Digger! :D

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2008, 3:29 am

They reach maximum cuteness between 9 and 15 months.

The cutoff date is when they learn the word "no".