Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

acannon
Raven
Raven

24 May 2008, 7:46 pm

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/23/ ... -year-old/ This "teacher" let her students vote a 5 year old Aspie boy out of her kindergarten class.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:02 pm

This is bigotry at its worse. The Teacher needs to be fired for even doing this.
If he was that disruptive they should have sought help for him. The police I am not surprised at . This is sad and I hope someone is punished.

RockyMtnAspieMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 May 2008, 9:16 pm

The teacher's license should be taken away. Firing isn't even enough...they should make sure she never gets the chance to work with children again.

That was abusive.

I would file a constitutional case and sue her for everything she has...even her house.

RockyMtnAspieMom

24 May 2008, 9:17 pm

I'm sorry, I should have written "civil suit."

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:19 pm

I got this contact list from http://autisticbfh.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... wendy.html

Morningside Elementary School Principal:
Mrs. Marcia Cully
[email protected]
(772) 337-6730

St. Lucie County Schools Superintendent:
Michael J. Lannon
4204 Okeechobee Road
Ft. Pierce, FL 34947-5414
Phone: 772/429-3925
FAX: 772/429-3916
[email protected]

St. Lucie County School Board Chair:
Carol Hilson
772-519-0397
[email protected]

Vice Chair:
Judith Miller
772-528-4545
[email protected]

I suggest all of us write the people in charge and "vote out" Wendy Portillo.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:20 pm

Thank you mage.

RockyMtnAspieMom

24 May 2008, 9:23 pm

Thank you mage!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:36 pm

Wow mage. 8O You are quite the activist. I'll look at sending off an e-mail tomorrow, but I'm not sure how exactly they'll react to a massive spam bomb.

Everyone, let's try to keep the e-mails relatively civil, and try to take more "moderate" stances. (saying she should be fired is fine, I mean we shouldn't push too extremely hard against their current views of autism as that is likely to get you ignored)

Also, remember the kid hasn't been diagnosed yet, so it's probably better to even leave it out entirely- just the fact that she does this to ANY child is terrible enough.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:39 pm

Eh, someone else compiled the list, I just reposted it. Personally this struck me pretty hard though, having a son near that age. I thought I was pretty civil in my emails, only suggesting that Wendy be fired and apologies be sent to Alex from everyone responsible for hiring her in the first place. No kid, spectrum or not, should ever face that kind of abuse from a teacher.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:41 pm

Mage wrote:
Eh, someone else compiled the list, I just reposted it. Personally this struck me pretty hard though, having a son near that age. I thought I was pretty civil in my emails, only suggesting that Wendy be fired and apologies be sent to Alex from everyone responsible for hiring her in the first place. No kid, spectrum or not, should ever face that kind of abuse from a teacher.

I agree; I was just concerned that some people might let their emotions get out of hand and write overly offensive e-mails. Of course, the fact that this teacher still has a job after what she did is offensive, but going over-the-top in our reaction would be counterproductive.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 10:31 pm

This teacher needs a trophy and if I had my way it should be a horse turd dipped in bronze. Do I consider that abuse? Yes because that reputation will now stay with this kid and ruin the rest of the school year for him. That boy deserves an official apology from the school board and an offer to pay for any counseling he will need.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 12:29 am

/seething/

I will have to compose an email another time... trying to start was like tapping a fire hydrant.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 1:13 am

if that happened to a kid im my family i would of severally beaten the teacher responsible, that's just messed up.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2008, 3:31 am

Quote Ron White: "You can't fix stupid. Stupid is forever."

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 6:25 am

Quote:
Alex has had disciplinary issues

He was a problem student. They had to do something and they'd probably already tried everything else.

Quote:
her son is in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's, a type of high-functioning autism

Notice it says "in the process." This is why accusations of bigotry don't hold up.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 6:59 am

Really makes my day that article. Especially because the I heard to such a case recently in my district.

The kid could be a monster - still the wrong, wrong, wrong way to go about.

What the teacher, the adult, did to that child was idiotic, pathetic and weak.

The teacher obviously has a problem that makes them unfit to teach if they have self-control and common-sense issues.