Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2008, 4:48 pm

post any other articles you come across

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 4:55 pm

I rather not be cure since AS is a part of my character already and I have coped with it really well too.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 5:16 pm

Depends on the definition of "cure".

By curebie definitions, I'm a curenot, and vice versa...

I want to see treatments provided that allow for the ability for an autistic that is otherwise unable to function independently and be productive in society to do so. However, I do not want to see some "magic pill" that changes the core of a person's being, which is what the curebies are suggesting... Both autistics and nt's have to make an effort to understand each other, but there has been little progress on either side, autistics because many are largely unable to understand points of view other than their own (i'm guilty as charged most of the time), and nt's because many of them (specifically the curebies) are ignorant.

I put myself down for "curenot", though, because of my stance against autism speaks...

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 5:49 pm

I don't think it's so black and white. Autism spectrum disorders are something like sickle-cell. People who are carriers of sickle cell trait are nearly immune to the effects of malaria, but those who have sickle cell anemia, it vastly shortens the lifespan.

I think those of us who have high-functioning autism are lucky in some respects (unlucky in others) and I don't think I'd want a cure because I wouldn't be the same person.

But what about those with the most severe forms of low-functioning autism? Those that are still in diapers as adults, can't talk, can't type, can't communicate in any way? I don't necessarily think they could or should be "cured" meaning made NT, but what if they could be helped to a higher functioning level? I think that would be a worthy goal.

Even those with moderate symptoms can still benefit from things such as occupational therapy and situational practices, and I wouldn't call those "cures" really but it's still something that should be promoted.

And the "cure" of eugenics I am flat out against, that's not so much as a cure as avoidance though.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 8:25 pm

As long as I am not cured (I am so headstrong, I don't think anyone could make me anyway) I personaly don't care. Do whatever you want, just leave me alone.

trgd__15
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2008, 8:27 pm

I wouldn't want to be cured. I don't look down on people who want to be though.

acannon
Raven
Raven

29 May 2008, 11:48 pm

I wouldn't want to be cured. AS makes me who I am. It's shaped my entire life and will continue to do so until I die. I also don't think that people who are "lower functioning" should be cured or changed or feel like they should have to be if they don't want to be. Don't you think that if there was such a cure, all autistic people wouldn't constantly be pressured into being cured? Don't you think that people could further alienate and discriminate against the autistics who aren't cured? It could become a prerequisite for employment or school. You never know. I could see it being like how vaccinations are.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 7:45 am

Curebies can go cure themselves.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2008, 9:00 am

I would much rather not be cured because why would you want to be a bumbling fool without AS who just does what everyone else does and only sees the big picture and never the fine details?
That, and Asperger Syndrome is just a big part of my life.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 9:00 am

am neither curbie,or anti.
am pro choice.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 10:35 am

jamescampbell wrote:

I have to agree with kingdom of rats on this. I am pro choice. I do not want to be cured, but it is not my place to tell others the same. I do think many organziations should consider treatment right now since that is much more realisitc and does not take away a persons autism as far as I know. I would like to see organizations support treatment as an alternative.

why is there no neither option?

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 7:29 pm

I'd rather not be cured. I'm not broken and I don't have a disease.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 7:30 pm

I'm also Pro-Life.

latreefarmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2008, 3:56 pm

Having a nephew with Kanner's, and several of us on the spectrum to one degree or another, I still don't like the idea of being cured. I would like the research to focus on getting inside our heads enough to learn to communicate with those of us with poor or non-existent communication. I think if we could bride that gap with low functioning members, many could get along fine.
I also am in much better spirits now that I am learning about the neurological differences between myself and my peers. Being analytical, the "notknowing" caused a lot of worry and confusion. Now that I know who I am and am learning how my mind works and is different from many, it strangely helps. I would not want to be like many of the people I know who wander aimlessly thru life, always striving to please others.
Education should be the focus, both of us and the general public, not focusing on curing us. As a young adult trying my hand at sales, one of the things I learned is that you must listen to others and let them feel like you care about what they say. Why can't they listen to us and REALLY care about what we say, too? Don't talk TO us, talk with us.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 4:14 pm

Mage wrote:
I don't think it's so black and white. Autism spectrum disorders are something like sickle-cell. People who are carriers of sickle cell trait are nearly immune to the effects of malaria, but those who have sickle cell anemia, it vastly shortens the lifespan.

I think those of us who have high-functioning autism are lucky in some respects (unlucky in others) and I don't think I'd want a cure because I wouldn't be the same person.

But what about those with the most severe forms of low-functioning autism? Those that are still in diapers as adults, can't talk, can't type, can't communicate in any way? I don't necessarily think they could or should be "cured" meaning made NT, but what if they could be helped to a higher functioning level? I think that would be a worthy goal.

Even those with moderate symptoms can still benefit from things such as occupational therapy and situational practices, and I wouldn't call those "cures" really but it's still something that should be promoted.

And the "cure" of eugenics I am flat out against, that's not so much as a cure as avoidance though.

Ditto