Video games that should not (in your opinion) have succeeded

Page 7 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 11:55 am

Fo-Rum wrote:
It's peoples acceptance more than anything, and many people are becoming okay with garbage.

Garbage isn't an absolute term. If that many people like it, then obviously something about it is not garbage.

If the success can be attributed to a likable concept, that concept didn't just appear out of thin air. Someone had to analyze it and realize that it probably would lead to success and make the decision to run with it.

Even if all they are doing is building on a successful concept, I still think they "deserve" success. After all, that's what business is all about.

A lot of D2's success came from the free online access. Yeah it had flaws, but honestly all games do. Most of the critics rate it pretty high so it's no mystery why it's successful. Diablo I pretty much created a subgenre of games and yet you don't think it deserves success?

I just think until you've worked in the gaming business and witnessed first hand the work that goes into a game, you can't really say who deserves what success. If you don't like a game, then don't play it.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 1:04 pm

I don't like guitar hero. My cousins play it a lot but it sounds bad when they do and it's a bit boring...

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 1:40 pm

twoshots wrote:
Everything on the original playstation.

Fanboy fight time! :twisted:

But there were some great games on PS1, one with I can think of now is Monster Rancher, I think a game like that today might even be good. Plus I also enjoyed the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games, but now days I kind of look down on the series and kind of think that they no longer probably should suceed.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 7:32 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
twoshots wrote:
Everything on the original playstation.

Fanboy fight time! :twisted:

But there were some great games on PS1, one with I can think of now is Monster Rancher, I think a game like that today might even be good. Plus I also enjoyed the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games, but now days I kind of look down on the series and kind of think that they no longer probably should suceed.
The gameplay was good, it is a shame it hid on a franchize. I think that some tweaks and a more professional game designer could make a great game from the initial idea.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 9:06 pm

toilet paper (aka twilight princess)- everyone claims this was the best zelda ever when in fact it was the second worst (canon) zelda ever (cdi games dont count) i mean it just sucked,

phantom hourglass (see above only this was the worst zelda game)

flyingninja123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2009, 9:47 pm

I am definately not a football fan and I avoid this series as much as possible. I would much rather play an NHL game then a football game any day.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2009, 11:56 pm

Quote:
Garbage isn't an absolute term. If that many people like it, then obviously something about it is not garbage.

Quote:
I just think until you've worked in the gaming business and witnessed first hand the work that goes into a game, you can't really say who deserves what success.

While I haven't worked in the gaming industry first hand, I have put my support and a lot of play time on a specific game called Battlecraft. The specific version was Battlecraft Paradigm, which was the original work of a friend, and further work of another friend, with general support from myself.

Here is my personal experience, an example of people preferring lesser quality..

There are many Battlecraft games out there. Each one with their differences. Many of them very similar in style of play however. Battlecraft Paradigm has had a lot of work done on it, that has fine tuned it to be better in pretty much most aspects you can think of. It was worked on and polished to the point of "professionalism", and had many features that kept the game play much more consistent, smooth, inventive, and fast paced and balanced than the other games of its style. The units in the game were also all useful, and did their purpose quite well (unlike others).

Wow, it's starting to sound like the best out of Battlecraft category now. Despite these qualities that Battlecraft Paradigm has that many other Battlecraft games do not have, it was not popular. The lesser quality versions were more popular.. A LOT more popular. Many people expressed contempt and dislike for Battlecraft Paradigm. Why? It's unfathomable why these people disliked something that clearly plays Battlecraft much better than what they prefer.

Companies make games for money, not for people. If people are okay with lesser quality, do you think games of higher quality are going to be released? No!! You may see quality, but I see shinier newer (aka better graphics) versions of games I played in the 90s and earlier 2000s. I'll give credit where I think credit is due, but I wont give credit simply because company XYZ improved the graphics.

Quote:
Diablo I pretty much created a subgenre of games and yet you don't think it deserves success?

Yes, D1 started something awesome. I love D1, and have played it quite a bit despite its problems. I never said it didn't deserve success however. I disagreed with that idea that hard work by designers and programmers make successful games. YES, those things CAN make successful games, however that is not always the case.

I have seen the hard work and time spent by my friends, and the results of that. Success doesn't always come from hard work.

Quote:
If you don't like a game, then don't play it

That is why I don't play most mainstream games anymore. I don't like them. I'd love to be able to like them, really! I love gaming, but it's not working out for me anymore. Although, that attitude is wrong. You are basically supporting anything they do with the justification of, "you don't have to play it." That doesn't take away what is wrong with games of today. That doesn't make companies think, "Maybe we shouldn't have remade first person shooter XYZ with a new name of ZYX" It is the kind of attitude that is wrong with this world. You might as well tell a suicidal person, "If you don't like life, you don't have to live it. Just go kill yourself", because that is exactly what it means. It means accept that is how it is, because you don't have to deal with it after all.

audiobyrne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2009, 3:11 am

Yeah, World of Warcraft can be a huge grind, but show me a game that has more versatility and complete freedom of control. Sure there's a ton of annoying people/jerks/bads, but when you find someone that you get along with and knows what they're doing you really stick with them.

Also, since the release of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, Blizzard has added more interactive features to the questing, meaning that you don't have to collect 42 boar gizzards anymore...once you get past 70, which isn't that hard anymore. I've only been able to get to lvl 75 so far, but already there have been more bombing quests and stuff where you man harpoons and flamethrowers and such. I guess they've added collapsible buildings and siege engines to PvP.

I used to raid the Burning Crusade content and the high-end boss fights are where the game really shines. Bosses like Lady Vashj, Kael'thas, and Illidan were SO much fun to learn, even through wiping constantly for 2-3 weeks. Archimonde was no fun, just a huge PiTA.

I know the grind and the graphics put people off, but to me, nothing else can even come close. I haven't been able to connect for a month or so now, and I have yet to find a game that can fill the void.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 6:11 am

Any and all Barbie games. :twisted:

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 9:46 am

sethzack wrote:
Any and all Barbie games. :twisted:

*memory pops up of watching sister and haveing to play a bit of barbie horse riding game* Also another note I hate the Mareykate and Ahsleigh mall game, and wish that I didnt have to go through watching my sister play that aswell.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:13 am

I'm not going to try to argue my point anymore as I am obviously not going to change any opinions.

One of my good friends is a lead programmer at a FPS game company (a very popular and well established one in fact). I see the ridiculous amount of work that goes into it, even for the crappiest ones and I think it's almost insulting to say that anything with that much work put into it "doesn't deserve success".

I can say a game doesn't deserve for me personally to play it, but to say it doesn't deserve success is spitting in the face of all the workers that put 80 hour weeks into it.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:27 am

Your right there is a lot of work that goes into all games, and saying that any of them should not suceed is quite bad, yet their a lot of games that should suceed but for whatever reason dont. And their are some I will say Singstar for example, that cause a part of my family to want to use it and fill the entire house up with anoying, loud music, totaly overstimming me. Or even game genres that for some reason have become successfull and sudenly you are bombarded with so many simular versions that it disrupts the market of haveing something different. But their is so much work going into games and all of them should have some good sucess, but some probably end up on the others shoulders unworthely.