Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 8:55 pm

How do you (can you?) find a good psychiatrist for a psychiatric opinion on whether you have Asperger's? I might want to go to one in LA. Not sure yet. I've seen them since I was about 20 or so (and I'm 55 now) and they just seem to be a money drain, and don't help much. But maybe I could find a good one if I try. Any suggestions on how to find out who specializes in Asperger's. My Web searches have come up nil so far.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 9:09 pm

I doubt any psychiatrists have studied AS since their primary specialty is prescribing drugs. They're not required to study any psychology.

Psychologists and neurologists are the professions I can think of that recognise AS.

Here's a list of AS treatment providers in the USA, organised by state: Click here.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 9:25 pm

Flismflop wrote:
I doubt any psychiatrists have studied AS since their primary specialty is prescribing drugs. They're not required to study any psychology.

Psychologists and neurologists are the professions I can think of that recognise AS.

Here's a list of AS treatment providers in the USA, organised by state: Click here.

Thanks, Flismflop. I just emailed one in my area. I'll see what comes of it.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 9:45 pm

I emailed a local support group (for children), and they gave me a name. She was good for the diagnosis, but otherwise a waste of my time.
Good luck to you.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 10:10 pm

zghost wrote:
I emailed a local support group (for children), and they gave me a name. She was good for the diagnosis, but otherwise a waste of my time.
Good luck to you.

Thanks, I guess all I want is the diagnosis, but not sure how meaningful it will be. To me, the bottom line, is that I feel at home with this group. The discussions I read and the books I have started to read so far have many sections that are meaningful to me--not all, but a lot. And that seems normal, because each person will express Asperger's differently.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 10:27 pm

So here's what I think my symptoms are:

Hard time all my life making friends and maintaining friendships.
Thinking that I don't have the "parts" that other people have for making friends.
Feeling like I'm saying inappropriate things socially, but I'm not sure exactly what or why they're inappropriate.
Went to a high school for gifted kids.
Obsessions, talking on and on about them even though the other person is likely bored. (I think I can learn not to do this and converse properly. It will take effort, but I'm excited that I have a group that has resources to help me learn that.)
Thinking I'm weird.
Never liked team sports. I'm very "athletic." I'm a dancer. I like to swim, anything individual, but nothing on a team, please.
I think my relations (lack of) at work hold me back from advancing as I might otherwise.
I have quite a few nicks and scars on me from awkwardness. I thought I didn't fit the profile, because I'm a good dancer--I was in the advanced ballet class the American Ballet Theatre and I'm a really good swing dancer--but I have other kinds of physical awkwardness.
Annoyed when people don't just address the content of what I say, instead of its delivery.
Technical writer for an engineering firm.
I can be very blunt.
Suffered from depression a good part of my lifeSounds and sensory stuff only annoy me when I try to sleep--I wear ear plugs to sleep and have black out curtains in my bedroom......There may be more stuff, but I think this is a good start.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 11:13 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet! 8)