Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2008, 11:27 am

I have pink eye (again, for the second time in 2 weeks) and I had to call out from work because I work at a nursing home. I just feel absolutely icky and depressed and like this virus is never going to get out of my system. My mom pointed out that I'm just sitting around watching TV and when I am active I feel better, but what exactly is there to do around the house?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 12:25 pm

Fossy wrote:
I have pink eye (again, for the second time in 2 weeks) and I had to call out from work because I work at a nursing home. I just feel absolutely icky and depressed and like this virus is never going to get out of my system. My mom pointed out that I'm just sitting around watching TV and when I am active I feel better, but what exactly is there to do around the house?

Take up a hobby. Clean the house. Help your mother. Do the laundry. If you have a yard, take care of the yard. Have a dog? Play with the dog - take it for a walk. Exercise. Write letters. Read a book.....

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jun 2008, 1:10 pm

What is pink eye? ( genuine question) .

Does it stop you using the computer? Reading? Writing/doodling/thinking? Watching a video/DVD.

I loved days off sick, when I used to have a job.

:study:

Last edited by ouinon on 04 Jun 2008, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 1:28 pm

What it is technically called: Conjunctivitis (I think I spelled that correctly, I not sure :oops: )

I am not good right now at describing it, but having it can make your eye(s) itchy, have a thick pus discharge, and crust over. I don't know what germ its caused by, (virus or bacteria?) but it is VERY contagious. You can catch it over and over again, I don't think you get immunity with it.

I don't think it stops you from visual activities, unless you have it in both eyes.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jun 2008, 1:57 pm

Metalwolf wrote:
Conjunctivitis, it can make your eye(s) itchy, have a thick pus discharge, and crust over. I don't know what germ its caused by, (virus or bacteria?) but it is VERY contagious. You can catch it over and over again, I don't think you get immunity with it. I don't think it stops you from visual activities, unless you have it in both eyes.

Ok, thanks. Not the same thing as rosacea then which can also produce pink eyes, feels gritty, sore, etc?

:study:

krex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 2:48 pm

Working with people in institutions can often expose you to pink eye...I worked with DD and we would have soeone come back from their work with pink eye at leat once a year. Close contact, some clients with comprimised immune systems can make them more vulnerable.

As far as boredom...I like doing research on-line on my special interests. There are so many cool web-sites and blogs to read.
GoogleGoogleGoogle. Just about any interest has it's own web page.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 7:05 am

Metalwolf wrote:
I am not good right now at describing it, but having it can make your eye(s) itchy, have a thick pus discharge, and crust over. I don't know what germ its caused by, (virus or bacteria?) but it is VERY contagious. You can catch it over and over again, I don't think you get immunity with it.

conjunctivitis can be caused my a number of things. what you're talking about would be some sort of bacteria because of the pus. you should consider seeing a doctor to get some antibiotics, especially if it lasts a while.

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2008, 11:28 am

I've always believed that when you're sick, sometimes doing something you'd normally do will make you feel better.

I had a job working with special-ed kids, and came down with a bout of the flu & strep throat at the same time. I spent the better part of a month out of work, but when I was able, I got out of bed, and showered shaved & dressed as though I was on my way to work. it did seem to make me feel better.

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2008, 3:41 pm

I have gone to the doctor. They say it's 95% likely a viral thing and it didn't go away and I tried to wear my contacts and had mucus draining from my eye again. They are giving me antibiotic eye drops just in case it is bacteria, but they don't think it is and they told me to go to the eye doctor just to make sure it isn't something having to do with my contact lenses.

It's only highly contagious when your eyes are draining, and it's bacteria if your eyes are draining thick pus. Mine weren't draining pus they were draining mucus. This is why they didn't give me medicine the first time I went because there isn't really anything they can give you to cure a virus.

In any case my eyes aren't draining anymore and they say I can go back to work next week. :)

But I still have a virus in my system and my eyes are still itching and crap so I have to be careful not to infect my eyes over and over. Sometimes it does hurt to look at the computer screen but I wear sunglasses.