Do psychiatrists have a shelf life with a patient?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 11:31 am

Is there a certain time when a patient reaches a brick wall with his/her pyschiatrists and needs to move on?

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2008, 11:35 am

Im guessing sometimes that can happen. And sometimes it wont. Depends on the relationship and how the psychiatrist treats the patient i guess. I have felt like going to my therapist sometimes is completely useless, if thats what you mean. And my therapist has also said that im not moving anywhere, or rather that im therapy resistant...

Id call that hitting a brick wall atleast.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2008, 11:57 am

I think so....I'm 40 and I've had a number of psychiatrists over my lifetime. Each one has a different approach, and they change as do you. At a certain point in time, you reach that plateau where neither of you is doing anything for the other.

Besides, if you feel that you aren't getting anywhere, go for a change. It's supposed to be beneficial, and only you can decide if you are getting something out of it.

The relationship between patient and doctor is quite sensitive. There is intense trust issues and informing them that you are moving on can be done in private, or through a letter. I've been informed by my doctor that he was letting me go...and I was aghast...I felt completely betrayed. But, having met my new doctor, I"m really glad that he did. Frankly, it was for the best as I didn't realize just how useless my old one was.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 12:35 pm

Well, if you feel they're not doing you any good/ no longer doing you any good, move on.