Do having animals around help you with your aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 3:31 pm

Do they make you feel comfortable in a situation you other words wouldn't?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 3:34 pm

Yes, it's like having an ally there.

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2008, 3:36 pm

I find stroking my cats fur calms me in some situations im insecure of.

northern_light_girl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2008, 3:47 pm

hey, I heard that cats are little autistic animals:) Cuz they like their space and only do things on their own terms and conditions:) Can't train them like you do a dog:))))) Hihi, they get this mean, bored, ROYAL look in their eyes like they pity you! :wink:

tharn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2008, 3:47 pm

Absolutely. Animals understand what's goin' on with me way better than people... and they are way more honest about how they feel too.

I get along very nicely with cats and dogs. I adore my chinchilla. ^_^ Plus he's the softest thing EVER. Seriously, INSANELY soft. After a dust bath, he runs up to the bars of his cage and insists on being scritched until I get tired of it! :D If I'm in a bad mood, I'll slip him half a raisin, or some Cherios, and watching him eat it will cheer me right up.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2008, 3:53 pm

My dog is the best friend I could ever have and she helps so much, she is so much like me and my family always joke that I chose an animal with problems to because sometimes she doesn't like touch etc. She is the only one I can always be with, she is so relaxing.

Juniperberrygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2008, 3:57 pm

I've experienced that animals can be great. When I was younger I was bullied, I used to sit on a bench outside the house until I calmed down (I didn't want a fuss). Pearl helped me, he was my cat. I used to cover my face with my hands and cry, he'd try and push his head against my face until I started laughing, he wouldn't stop until I started laughing. I miss him.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 3:58 pm

I wouldn't be here, alive, if it wasn't for having my ferrets, they always seem to be able to pull me out of the darkest depression

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 4:16 pm

They help me live.

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2008, 4:17 pm

Nan wrote:
Yes, it's like having an ally there.

I agree. I am full time live in staff for 9 cats, 2 rabbits, and a Scottie. I spend a good bit of my free time cleaning, but even that can be theraputic.

I enjoy the company of my animals because of their unconditional acceptance, and total lack of pretense. When my dog wants to play, or one of the cats is trying to get my attention, I don't have to anaylzetheir body language or wonde rif they have an agenda.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 4:53 pm

I feel they help close the dark empty emotionally void, alienation some of us feel...

It's said all cats have Aspergers because they do not like being told what to do, intelligent independent, hate change, emotionally detached, inquisitive and have a second sense. - Alyson Bradley

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 4:56 pm

Yes. I don't have pets because I want my niece to visit me and she's alergic to animals, but I love to visit my friends pets. I dated a guy once, and I wonder if it was just for him or because I wanted to visit his cat tiger who used to climb onto my lap and stay no matter what I said.

I have a friend (I think he may be aspie but doesn't know it, but I'm not sure) and like to visit his house because he has two parrots. They are wary of me yet, but I hope to get a chance to keep sitting in front of them until they get used to me and then maybe they'll take food from me and then maybe perch on my arm on something. That's my goal.

That, by the way, was a very unrealistic scene (it seemed to me) in Mozart and The Whale--when all of Donald's birds perched on Isabel's head, arms and shoulders immediately.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 5:17 pm

Yes, they help tremendously. I loved my dogs and cats a great deal (and was utterly crushed when they died) because I related to them far more easily than I do to humans. I'd quite happily spend hours stroking my dogs and sitting with my cats on my lap, because they were so easy to get along with - and there was no puzzling social minefield to get through with them, either.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2008, 5:38 pm

I miss having cat's about,my parents refuse anymore pet's after are other cat's died :( .

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:32 pm

WonderWoman wrote:
Yes. I don't have pets because I want my niece to visit me and she's alergic to animals

both the Chinese Crested and the Xoloitzcuintle (Mexican Hairless) breeds of dogs have no fur, thus no pet dander issues. Both breeds have excellent temperaments, affectionate, but not demanding.

Schnausers have fur, but are supposedly hypoallergenic (although in my experience they're rather hyperactive and excitable).

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 6:38 pm

Willard wrote:
WonderWoman wrote:
Yes. I don't have pets because I want my niece to visit me and she's alergic to animals

both the Chinese Crested and the Xoloitzcuintle (Mexican Hairless) breeds of dogs have no fur, thus no pet dander issues. Both breeds have excellent temperaments, affectionate, but not demanding.

Schnausers have fur, but are supposedly hypoallergenic (although in my experience they're rather hyperactive and excitable).

Thanks! I'll check them out.