Navigating the maze of High School- the whole 9 yards

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2005, 2:25 am

I thought I'd make this topic to see how people are going with High School in all it's glory. Feel free to grumble about that girl who called you a (insert profanity) at lunch, any teachers who are driving you up the wall, that guy who you have that massive blatant crush on, this can be our zone where we can escape that maze we have to face every day.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2005, 11:17 am

hmm... I've found it pretty easy. I'm a junior and I'm just waiting to get out. People are okay, but I don't really like any of them too much...

I just wanna graduate so my life can get started already

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2005, 9:52 pm

Avoid the teachers who don't really teach.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2005, 8:21 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Teachers who don't teach have no business being teachers in the first place. Try as hard as you can to get good teachers who have teaching styles that work for you personally. Those that know and understand about AS and the issues it causes couldn't hurt, either. ;)

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

28 Oct 2005, 9:01 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:

So true.

Also, have this seething disdain for those who publicize in the classroom thier "drama." Usually it's some trashy girl blabbing on, but **** does it drive me insane. :evil:

Other than that, I just hang out with my tiny little crowd. 8)

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2005, 10:24 pm

TheOrangeMage, are you referring to the extremely trampy girls who never shut up about anything but yet are still so much fun to look at? I'd never befriend those kind of people, but wow.
8O

I need to find a thread where I gave pretty good guidelines as to what people you should avoid.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2005, 10:32 pm

Aha! I went dumpster (umm...I mean forum) diving, and I found this! :P

- Avoid anyone using the words: crunk, fo'schizzle (or any "izzle"), homie, and fag.
- Anyone who thinks their "popular" is usually an arrogant, cocky ba*****.
- Don't befreind anyone who has anything to do with rumors, that way you'll have none about yourself floating around. Anyone who talks to you about rumors, probably spreads rumors about you.
- Rumors only spread within whatever crowd the person that started it is in, usually the only crowd that cares too.
- Football games (or any sporting event) are a place when "popular" people usually socialize and gather.
- Avoid people claiming to be gay that hang out with women only. They're usually being gay just to get away with ass-grabbing. I konw gays and bis who have few female friends, and are not super flamboyant.
- Don't become emo...please!

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2005, 6:12 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
- Football games (or any sporting event) are a place when "popular" people usually socialize and gather.

Except for swim meets and math competitions. Most of the swimmers are partial outcasts and the mathletes are all nerds, so nobody really likes them anyways. ;)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2005, 6:54 pm

What I have to say is, I've been thinking of you, Soma. I wish you well.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2005, 1:32 am

Thanks. :oops: And on that 'teacher' note, ooh, I could write pages on a certain Coordinator of Teaching and Learning @ my school...

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2005, 4:07 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:

Unless you are playing in the band at the football game. In which case you have about the same social status as the goths (my status was lower since I was a loner), and you are in a little island of rejects in the stands.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2005, 11:25 am

You are welcome, Soma.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2005, 1:15 pm

Memorize the layout of your school. Most schools issue students handbooks with a map of the school in them, so use it. I've used this technique myself. I made color-coded zones of different areas to show the odds of running into popular people, who often bullied me. Here's how my system worked.

Green: safe; OK to use at all times in all circumstances -- this included the hallway with the science classrooms, the area in front of the auditorium, most of the academic resouce areas, and the hallway running past the guidance offices
Yellow: caution required; hide in the crowd whenever possible -- this included all hallways not in the Green or Red zones, most areas in and around the cafeteria, the bus boarding areas, the weight room, and the gym during assemblies
Red: hazardous; avoid this area if no teacher(s) present -- this included the hallway in front of the athletic areas during school hours, certain areas and corridors inside the cafeteria, and common areas for students
Black: extreme danger; always avoid this area -- this included the athletic areas after school hours, the gym locker room and shower room during most periods, the school yard, and the parking lot

This system worked out quite well. I updated the map every grading period, to reflect the whereabouts of bullies. After some trial-and-error, I managed to use my system very effectively.[/i]

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2005, 3:48 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Green: safe; OK to use at all times in all circumstances -- this included the hallway with the science classrooms, the area in front of the auditorium, most of the academic resouce areas, and the hallway running past the guidance offices

Maybe that would explain why all the smart people hang out in the physics lab at lunch at my school... Half the school is scared of the chemistry teacher, so if I'm talking to him (he thinks I'm pretty cool), no one will bother me. :D I tend to avoid the quad (the center of all the buildings) whenever I can because this is where all the popular people (and just about everyone else) hangs out.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2005, 4:12 am

Good technique! My technique? Two words: SCHOOL COUNCELLOR.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 1:28 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
Aha! I went dumpster (umm...I mean forum) diving, and I found this! :P

- Avoid anyone using the words: crunk, fo'schizzle (or any "izzle"), homie, and fag.
- Anyone who thinks their "popular" is usually an arrogant, cocky ba*****.
- Don't befreind anyone who has anything to do with rumors, that way you'll have none about yourself floating around. Anyone who talks to you about rumors, probably spreads rumors about you.
- Rumors only spread within whatever crowd the person that started it is in, usually the only crowd that cares too.
- Avoid people claiming to be gay that hang out with women only. They're usually being gay just to get away with ass-grabbing. I konw gays and bis who have few female friends, and are not super flamboyant.
- Don't become emo...please!

My Mom read a book about aspies, and it mentions "Don't ever hug a member of the opposite sex unless in a romntic or very close friendship realtion ship." oh. so true!! well. if My guy friend hugs me I;m ok with it but I used to hug him all the time and he was weirded out about it. now he does the hugging.

also and I Stress Do NOT EVER tell a guy he's pretty. not even if he's the prettiest boy in the world. don't tell him his eyes are pretty either.