Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 6:56 am

LostInEmulation wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:
Damnsmalllinux is a nice little installable live distro (only 50 MB), which runs* on the crappiest systems, I got my hands on. My biggest disadvantage is that it only has 4 virtual terminals in text mode.

You can add virtual terminals by editing /etc/inittab

I am afraid that I'll mis-setup something and my laptop won't start. It'd be awful to repair her without a working CD-ROM drive, you know...

Hey Lost, have you ever seen this then? I assume your computer has a USB?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

There are portable versions of just about every distro. You can use it to experiment on, or just for repairs.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:10 am

Fuzzy wrote:

There are portable versions of just about every distro. You can use it to experiment on, or just for repairs.

The computer, I use damnsmall on was built before USB was specified (133MHz P1, 36 MiB of RAM, 2 GiB harddrive). But I'll recommend this page to my BF who wants to de-vistafy his computer! Thanks for the link! (BTW: The Tux in the logo is cuuuute!)

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:37 am

Xubuntu, Knoppix, and Wolvix

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:49 am

LostInEmulation wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

The computer, I use damnsmall on was built before USB was specified (133MHz P1, 36 MiB of RAM, 2 GiB harddrive). But I'll recommend this page to my BF who wants to de-vistafy his computer! Thanks for the link! (BTW: The Tux in the logo is cuuuute!)

Haha. The Tux is cute. My new interest is making a linux box with LVM flash drives. It will be the ultimate slim line box.

You could make your BF something like a four gig boot of Ubuntu on a flash card. Its how I got my brother interested in linux. I showed him a 2 gig card that booted ubuntu and how it was only eating 140 megs out of 2 gigs. A few weeks later he was talking about a new laptop and how he wanted linux on it. Once he got it he said "get vista off that and put ubuntu on it. I want something good."

He still uses vista on his desktop, but only because I cannot get eve online operating in linux. Otherwise, that non geek/casual user would be totally linux before I am. I'm still using XP for some gaming.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2008, 10:47 pm

I use mandriva

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 12:15 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
Backtrack 3

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: