Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

02 Nov 2005, 1:38 am

Hi Im new to this,I am the mother of a 16yo with aspergers. I was reading some of the posts and I am seeing my son. Trying to fit in to high school wanting to bea normal teenager, and girls are ok friends only because rejection is way to overwhelming. Life in my house is never boring things are always a crisis where hes concerned. I was wondering if any one has any suggestions to the anger these kids feel and any coping that could be tried. we do counsling and special ed, but people dont want to assist with these kids (because its not a serious problem) spoken by someone who dosnt love an aspie person. One more thing I have a younger son and he adores his older brother and trys to be like him, how do you explain that his brother marches to the beat of a different drummer???? Any way just wanted to say hello and thank you for being there :D

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 2:31 am

welcome to wrongplanet, g-man's mum. :)

there are many people on here who can offer advice, and many threads where there's useful information - i'm sure you'll find something which is helpful.

Vivi
(as Mod)

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 6:09 am

Most young kids look up to their older brothers... Just because he is different it doesn't matter. Be happy that your youngest looks up to his brother rather than hates him :)

jbrawn26
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2005, 6:44 pm

my younger son also looks up to his big brother Zachary ( my child with asperger's ) is 9 and his brother is 4 1/2 we also have one on the way! In some ways it's really nice to have him look up to his older brother but it can get very difficult at times too especially in situations like when Zachary is getting overstimulated in a store and starts acting wildly and Devin wants to act just like him :) nevertheless we have baby #3 on the way!

ster
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 10:25 pm

i have a son with aspergers age 13, and a hubby with aspergers as well....they both react differently to situations. my son is more social, but almost always misinterprets social situations ( yes, life here is often one crisis after another)...my hubby has alot of anxiety as well as alot of the sensory integration issues.
life here can be quite difficult for us NTs too.( there are 3 of us). the way we have handled the issue of son & hubby being "different" is to say that "everyone has different ways of coping with things. the best thing we can do for one another is to be supportive "....this is the same philosophy we use for every member of the family. when my NT 6 year old daughter is whining and crying because she isn't getting her way, we try to calm her down and then talk about ways that she could more appropriately get what she needs. of course, not understanding others emotions makes everything in life laborious at times....having to explain things out loud all of the time gets tiring it's worth it though because in the end, things at home have become calmer. son is learning more about other's emotions, and my other 2 children are learning patience and acceptance.
it's much easier to explain to my NT children why their dad needs to lay down underneath his weighted blanket with headphones on, than to restore peace in the house after one of the children has disrupted hubby when he so desperately needs to shut out the world.
i hope that this has helped. :?