Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2005, 3:51 am

I'm easily distracted. In maths my teacher sometimes begins to say crap like smile maths is fun and I can't concentrate on what I'm doing. My internal thoughts present a problem for me as I'm always thinking.
I noticed at school the best way to block out the annoying sounds was to listen to music.
That way you hardly hear what people are talking about and you can focus better.
I have a difficulty in sleeping, without music because otherwise I get bored and begin to think about things in my life.
I used to get easily distracted in French lessons and Leisure and Tourism lessons.
The French teacher thought I had ADHD as I had a problem with settling down as I would just talk about music or figget alot.
Sometimes at college I begin to think about things whilst the teacher is talking and I miss certain things.
One way I'm trying to overcome my divergent nature is to socially isolate myself.
I found it aggravating when people sometimes try to speak to me. I get so frustrated when they don't listen to me and leave me alone- eventually I say something stupid like 'If you don't leave me alone I will put a knife in your throat'
Violent, I know.
On the bus to college I have trouble reading text heavy books- like Tom Brown's School Day.
There is too much movement and I cannot digest it.
If I'm asked to do a homework assignment, I get very distracted by things like people talking and then I make endless cups of tea.
I much prefer to stay-up for half the night prior to handing it in and compulsively consume green tea.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 1:08 pm

This going to be fun!! ! :D

neongrl wrote:
DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD

I. Either A or B:

A) Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Inattention

Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.

Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.

Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.

Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).

Often has trouble organizing activities.

Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).

Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).

Is often easily distracted.

Is often forgetful in daily activities.

B) Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Hyperactivity

Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat.

Often gets up from seat when remaining in seat is expected.

Often runs about or climbs when and where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may feel very restless).

Often has trouble playing or enjoying leisure activities quietly.

Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor".

Often talks excessively.

Impulsivity

Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished.

Often has trouble waiting one's turn.

Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games).

Some symptoms that cause impairment were present before age 7 years.

Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g. at school/work and at home).

There must be clear evidence of significant impairment in social, school, or work functioning.

The symptoms do not happen only during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder. The symptoms are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

Based on these criteria, three types of ADHD are identified:

ADHD, Combined Type: if both criteria 1A and 1B are met for the past 6 months

ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type: if criterion 1A is met but criterion 1B is not met for the past six months

ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: if Criterion 1B is met but Criterion 1A is not met for the past six months.

American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2000.

Hmmmmm... I think I might have ADHD. :lol:

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2005, 3:42 pm

If it is something I don't enjoy doing, or a subject that isn't interesting I am very easily distracted. Work oftentimes is very distracting as presently I am not in a job I enjoy.

I have even found myself being distracted from my distractions....oh gosh where did I start? argh! :oops:

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 5:20 pm

I'm still wondering if anyone here knows how to self-distract? Probably so, but I can still be curious.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 6:00 pm

I can be distractable, although I don't recall it becoming a big problem until I started sharing an office with the Queen of Chatter and Noise. :roll:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 9:07 pm

I'll underline those criteria that I think I often meet.

neongrl wrote:
DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD

I. Either A or B:

A) Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Inattention

Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.

Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).

Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).

Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).

Is often forgetful in daily activities.

B) Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Hyperactivity

Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat. (True when I was younger but of course less so now; hyperactivity symptoms tend to be outgrown)

Often runs about or climbs when and where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may feel very restless).

Often talks excessively. (I don't talk very much; but, once I get going, I can see how some people might find it annoying!)

Impulsivity

Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished. (I help people find words or complete their thoughts if they're taking too long.)

Often has trouble waiting one's turn. (I will forget what I wanted to say or it will no longer be relevant if I have to wait to speak too long.)

Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games). (See my explanations to the above two criteria.)

Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g. at school/work and at home). (I wouldn't say any of the above symptoms impair my life very much, though. That's mostly from a lack of social skills found in Asperger's syndrome.)

There must be clear evidence of significant impairment in social, school, or work functioning.

The symptoms do not happen only during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder. The symptoms are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type: if criterion 1A is met but criterion 1B is not met for the past six months

ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: if Criterion 1B is met but Criterion 1A is not met for the past six months.

American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2000.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2005, 10:39 am

I sometimes answer other peoples questions.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2005, 2:12 pm

Hey, everyone, look over there! quick! :lol:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2005, 2:25 pm

Sophist wrote:
Yes, I'm fairly distractable. Especially the smaller and less generally noticed the noise, the worse it is. As I've said elsewhere, I can't read anywhere but in my own apartment.

And while listening to other people I get incredibly distracted. This is also complicated because I show some CAPD symptoms, so "auditory" isn't my strong suit.

In my humble opinion, you do not have attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, predominantly inattentive type. Everyone finds some things, some environments, distracting. In your case, sensory integration issues coming from Asperger's syndrome mean you cannot filter out the noise of a boisterous environment. However, in a quiet setting, you have not mentioned problems staying focused on your reading or other activities.

You subjectively claim that you become incredibly distracted while talking to other people. I think you're being a little harsh on yourself. From my experiences interacting with you offline, you did not seem distractible at all. If anything, you were the opposite: You had a tendency to perseverate on an idea without letting me (or other people like Donnie on a few occasions, if I recollect accurately) get a word in. You can probably see some room for improvement in your ability to concentrate because, of course, it isn't perfect; but you should probably compare yourself to people who are truly distractible to see how similar your attention span and distractibility is to them before judging yourself to be too inattentive.

I talked to a girl here at college a couple of months ago who would definitely be considered inattentive. She was distracted by what other people were saying, so I couldn't even complete sentences with her before her attention shifted elsewhere. Now that's distractibility! I don't know what other ADHD criteria she might meet, though.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2005, 2:44 pm

The ones that are presently true are underlined. The ones that used to be true but are not a problem for me now are in italics. I have a few miscellaneous comments thrown here and there. Feel free to give feedback - I am currently talking to my therapist about ADD but not sure if it fits me accurately.

neongrl wrote:
DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD

I. Either A or B:

Inattention

Is often forgetful in daily activities. -- That one is kind of vague and I'm not sure what it's getting at.

Hyperactivity

Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat.

Often talks excessively.

Impulsivity

Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished.

Often has trouble waiting one's turn.

Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games).

Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g. at school/work and at home).

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2005, 5:11 pm

lights...colors...people in motion

one of the few things that does not distract me is the internet....hmmm..i wonder why?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 4:30 am

I think I may have a trace of ADHD because at times it's hard for me to listen, and I don't know why. At times, I'm extremely distracted to daydreaming, and I don't like it much when I'm trying to get work done. I fit in to several parts of both A and B of the criteria just listed on neongirl, except for some of them. On the other hand, I may not have it because I'm not extremely hyper everyday, and the only time when I'm hyper is when I have lots of sugar at a birthday party or something. I'm not an expert; I've just been having trouble with excessive daydreaming for the past couple years, and having trouble with concentration, especially in class. I'm just saying it's probable that I have ADHD, but maybe it's something to do with emotions or growing up or something.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.