Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

What did you think of the movie Mozart and the Whale?
I didnt see the movie 26%  26%  [ 21 ]
I hated it 0 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
I didnt like it 1 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
It was ok 2-3 20%  20%  [ 16 ]
I liked it 4-6 17%  17%  [ 14 ]
I really liked it 7-8 27%  27%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 81

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2008, 12:33 pm

I actually found the people in the film seemed pretty normal , I thought it was ok, but as with most fiction I got bored easily

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2008, 5:32 am

I liked it. Some parts were dead on accurate, but a lot of it was borderline inaccurate, and some parts were just plain weird (come on, how many grits, really?) :)

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 8:19 pm

Haven't seen nor read. Reading is on my list. I really do like Gerry and Mary in real life though!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

GoddessofSnowandIce
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2008, 9:12 pm

My hubby and I loved it, even for some of its exaggeration of certain things. I think the movie was more to give NTs a peek into the lives of people on the spectrum more than a movie about Aspies for Aspies. Excellent for a film adaptation of a book (as you know how sometimes they can be disastrous). I've never read the book and would love to, but sometimes fiction (unless it's in a narrative style) can evade me. Hubby and I spent about an hour afterwards rolling around in bed, laughing at one another, saying completely off the wall things to each other. He has never been more comfortable with himself as an Aspie, and this movie just made him feel even better.

:nerdy: :heart: :geek:

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 1:35 am

It's not a film adaptation of a book, though. The book came after the film, and is about a way larger part of their lives than is in the film, it's just got the same title. The film is an adaptation of their life, though.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2008, 9:15 pm

anbuend wrote:
It's not a film adaptation of a book, though. The book came after the film, and is about a way larger part of their lives than is in the film, it's just got the same title. The film is an adaptation of their life, though.

The book is as close to reality as we could get away with. We had to change some names because the lawyers for the publisher were afraid of getting sued by some of the people who f****d us over in real life.

Jerry Newport aka The Whale

GoddessofSnowandIce
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2008, 9:38 pm

TheWhale wrote:
anbuend wrote:

The book is as close to reality as we could get away with. We had to change some names because the lawyers for the publisher were afraid of getting sued by some of the people who f**** us over in real life.

Jerry Newport aka The Whale

I didn't know that the book came after the movie, though I did know that both were based on the true story of two people. Nice to meet you, Jerry! :D

It was after watching Mozart and the Whale that I was reinspired to come back to WP. I joined 2 years ago, but never really found much to say. Sound familliar? As time went on, and as I became more of a self-advocate and advocate for my children, I suddenly began finding lots to say given the right topic. I realized that what my hubby and I needed was to meet more people like us and strike up some friendships. I hope to do that here.