Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 12:29 pm

Ah well, I beg to differ. Rules and boundaries must exist. There must be some common basis on which everyone operates, or the world becomes chaos. Look back to the tower of Babel in the bible. Do what thou shalt must not be the whole of the law. Without rules and boundaries, how can anyone seek to be accepted by others? Look at the divide between different religions. The only reason why there isn't open war, is because there is a common ground of morality accepted by the people.
I hear people complaining about how they just want to be accepted. But that would require a compromise on behalf of NT's natural behaviors. They want to be as they are, but want others to compromise. What autistics have to understand, is that because we compromise, doesn't mean NT's don't also compromise. Those that complain, are trying to demand flexibility and compromise from others, because they don't want to be flexible or compromise.
How many autistics in the world are there, Monastic? How many do you know that have been killed? Only a small proportion. Its like taking Will Freund and saying that because one person with Aspergers has it, we all do. You needs must have patience, Monastic. Things are changing; perceptions are slowly changing. Like 20 years ago, a diagnosis of autism was considered to have no future. But parents are becoming more and more accepting of children with autism. Realizing that all children are a blessing; autism doesn't change it. Most of your examples were around 10 years old. Don't go getting angry.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 2:02 pm

It is the unfortunate reality of the human race to "conform or be thrown to the wayside". It's not pretty. But that is how it is. No different in the rest of the animal kingdom.

Also, everyone is born with deficits. Some more than others. It is our autistic reality to conform to what we can to achieve what WE want in life so that we can be happy-- not so that we please others. It's an unfortunate give and take to get what enjoyment we can out of life. Since life is never perfect and nor will it ever be. We just have a different kind of imperfection than, say, someone with Parkinsons or Schizophrenia or someone with MR or someone who is just average and will never be anything more than that.

Everybody's lacking in one way or another. It's a trade off. Give up something to gain something else. Not pleasant, but necessary and real.
:?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 3:04 pm

So true Danlo, change can be slow but compromises from others can be achieved with effort. (It's worth a try)

Yes Sophist, "that's how it is" (but it doesn't have to stay that way :wink: )

Here's to those that refused to believe things had to stay the same. They gave up something (true) I'm sure but they never gave up on what they believed in, nor did they close their eyes to what could be no matter how badly society told them to leave things as they are;

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Rosa Parks
Marco Polo
Patrick Moore (founder of Greenpeace)
Mahatma Gandhi
Peter Benenson (founder of Amnesty International)
Thomas Edison
Michelangelo

(some of these trailblazers are more than likely Neurotypical so see danlo, I'm not a hater after all :) )

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 3:22 pm

There will never be any great turn around in human nature. I don't particularly like reality, but a person has to work with what they've got and make the best of it. Life can be particularly difficult for an Asperger. Which is why it's classified as a disorder. But the world will not change it's nature.

And we can get information out there to allow people to understand it better. But there are always going to be a**holes. One person cannot control all of humanity. But, you're right, that's no reason not to try and improve things. But as for expecting people to treat us the way we want them to is forcing them to do something they don't want to do. The only way to do that is a Big Brother scenario.

Aspergers will always have problems with other people. And since people don't understand us and are even intimidated by us on some base level, we will often bear the brunt of their reactions. The fact is, is that in a work community, it is necessary to have good raport with other workers because you are all working together. Someone with poor or even problematic social skills can work like a broken cog in a business's wheel. It's not what I'd like to say, but when people have to work together, the better they work together the better the product whatever it is will likely be. Which is many times why a potential employee who is social is chosen over an Aspie even if the Aspie's qualifications are better. Business is focused on the product. Being "fair" doesn't really come into it.

Like I said before, the best thing we or anyone else can do is to compromise to get the things which we need and want to make us happy. Life is rarely a "something for nothing". And everybody has problems. Not just autistics. There's plenty of other people out there without Autism who are having just as crappy a time as many of us are. Everybody's got it unfair one way or another.

I don't like reality. But if one ignores it, it's probable one doesn't end up making the most out of life while looking for that perfect scenario. For an analogy: we can't just wait to win the lottery. In the meantime, we work. But... we can still buy that weekly lottery ticket. ;)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/