Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2008, 3:13 am

Hmm.. I guess the weirder stuff I listen to (when I can find it) may include:
Cinema Strange (just wonderful.. gothic circus cabaret)
Diamanda Galas
Death in June
Gregorian chants

kittylover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2008, 10:35 pm

I mostly listen to video game music over all other types. As I found this thread, the Rockman ZX Advent soundtrack was playing in Foobar.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 11:23 pm

I like just about everything. Except for certain forms of death metal - when they lose tone it just becomes aggravating. : )
Favorites - Dresden Dolls, Rasputina (though that sometimes grates on my sensory issues), Eels, Incubus, Allison Krauss, Molotov...and stuff like that.
I ADORE video game music. I have this song, 'Still Alive,' from Portal stuck in my head. Gah!! !

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 11:31 pm

I will post this song I like, it is the music to the Sephiroph fight in Advent children, a updated version of the final fantasy IV One winged angel. It is ausome, one of the best fight scenes and songs I know.

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2008, 12:30 am

The Melvins.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 12:33 am

wait didn't I post it here it is
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MW65XxS7s[/youtube]

Ford_Prefect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2008, 10:14 am

I am highly preferring instrumental music and among instrumental music I am highly preferring music of Mike Oldfield. I am also listening to celtic or baroque music.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 7:18 pm

I am mainly a goth fan, but also listen to Arab/Middle Eastern music. Odd combination I guess...

I would like to hear some crossovers, as far as it exists. I think it would work because Arab music sounds a bit mysterious and if you use the instruments in the right way it would somehow match well with the classical goth sound. I rarely heard a combination of both though, Middle Eastern metal is quite common both Arabic gothness is very rare if it exists at all.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 8:14 pm

I love the oddest stuff, like the band Mister Bungle and the composer Conlan Nancarrow. He wrote music for player piano, and it's so odd it'll clear a crowded room.

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2008, 10:31 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
I am mainly a goth fan, but also listen to Arab/Middle Eastern music. Odd combination I guess...

I would like to hear some crossovers, as far as it exists. I think it would work because Arab music sounds a bit mysterious and if you use the instruments in the right way it would somehow match well with the classical goth sound. I rarely heard a combination of both though, Middle Eastern metal is quite common both Arabic gothness is very rare if it exists at all.

Ooh, do you like Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard? They're amazing. (though they're not arabian exactly) "Dreams Made Flesh" is out of this world..
I think they've been in some movies too. Gladiator and Man on Fire.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 6:08 pm

Gimme some NES-era Mega Man music!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 6:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t29fgA5M7VA[/youtube]

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:10 pm

More I read in thread, more examples come to mind (hard to guess what counts as "strange").

This Mortal Coil (esp. with Liz Fraser doing cover of "Song to the Siren", which I'd never heard or heard of before-was only many years later that I learned of & listened to Tim Buckley's version).
Dead Can Dance
The Cocteau Twins

Gregorian Chants (not into religious music per se, but love the sound of this style).
-and didgeridoo sounds super cool to me, too.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:20 pm

I like all kinds of music, but I prefer to listen to modern Celtic-influenced or Native American-influenced Trance, usually found on Mystic Age Radio (an iTunes station). It's very, very mellow.

Ever notice that Aspies seem to be very eclectic when it comes to music they like?

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2008, 5:35 am

When I was younger I listened to much more videogame music, especially the music from Curse of Monkey Island* which was my first real obsession. I then started listening to heaps of soundtracks and instrumental music (which I still do). I have now broadened my horizons music-wise to any genre, as it is my opinion that the genre has little to do with the quality of music. I don't like a lot of mainstream music though, since most mainstream artists don't seem to see their music as an artform, just a moneymaking scheme. Most of them can't even play their own instruments. I still like to focus on single bands at a time. My two favourite bands are Coldplay and Porcupine Tree.

*see soundtracks.mixnmojo.com

aethra
Raven
Raven

23 Jul 2008, 5:48 am

Haha, the Monkey Island theme is the ringtone on my phone and has been for years - i think I first got it three phones ago... :D It's great because nobody else I've met has the same ringtone so I always know it's mine ringing. Great theme, though.

I have fairly eclectic taste (although I like a lot of mainstream stuff too), but I share my taste with my dad and (to a lesser extent) my sister. Different music for different moods - after all, taiko drumming doesn't make for good driving music :wink: