What do you do when you have a meltdown?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 4:53 pm

Meltdowns are mentioned so often on the boards. I'm trying to get an idea of what it really means to have one.

I'm so quiet and non-expressive that nobody can tell how I'm feeling, even if I'm very angry or pitiful. So I guess I can say I don't have meltdowns. Or they are internal.

Do yours draw alot of attention?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 5:31 pm

I cry silently (weird to explane but I don't make noise but my eyes just start eaking)or rant to myself adnd get more stimmy...but sometimes no one can tell because I just shut-down/freeze and my mind stops working...kind of like a computer crash.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2008, 5:44 pm

I've read a couple of threads here about meltdowns & I often don't really understand what people are talking about, but what Krex just said makes a lot of sense to me. So, I guess I'm more a shutdown than a meltdown kind of guy.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 6:59 pm

am instantly lose sight and sometimes have no awareness,am flop and drop to the floor,speed rock,attack self and tearing at flesh with mouth,head will headbang [have been KOed many a time during head banging in MD] anything whether its the wall,floor,bed,or human,am thrash about like in a seizure,am drool/froth at the mouth,am feel everything inside body seize up and feel deeply crippled with profound agony-from brain to toes,sometimes am get sick [am think its from everything seizing up],am can smash everything around am..
in a milder meltdown,am will just instantly lose sight,flop and drop to the floor,be drooling/frothing at mouth,speed rock,head bang and attack self and usually come around quicker than the more severe type-they both usually include shutdowns mixed with them as well.
am usually always go to sleep when meltdown/shutdown finishes.

am can sometimes have very mild meltdowns,which are speed rocking,some head banging and includes shutdown.

after coming around from a severe meltdown/shutdown,am paralysed from the waist down,this can last for up to a day-when they are starting to get better they start to twitch,am feel very sick-can get sick and was prescribed some anti sickness tablets once which were great but they refused to prescribe anymore as they know they would end up being taken just because of routine whether needed or not.
everything inside body still feels seized up,and am feel very tired and weak.

after coming around from a milder meltdown,am have arms and legs that will barely work in the way am trying to tell them to,at least they do work though.
am still get the seized up feeling,and the sickness but dont usually get sick,am still tired and weak and find brain isnt in full control.

and whether its a severe or a mild one-am find they both make senses even worse [as in even more accute].

CRACK,
maybe the ones do have are more on the shutdown side than meltdown,here is more about shutdowns if dont know what they are: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1707940

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 8:09 pm

krex wrote:
I cry silently (weird to explane but I don't make noise but my eyes just start eaking)or rant to myself adnd get more stimmy...but sometimes no one can tell because I just shut-down/freeze and my mind stops working...kind of like a computer crash.

Something similar here. Numbness. The three that I remember well, I remember feeling like the blood in my body got sucked out. Heart feels like it slows down and really THUMPS, like the blood has thickened.

If the situation persists, I'll rant and rave...

Trouble is, I cannot totally remember some of these very well. I guess this is "mild" in comparison to some others' MDs.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2008, 8:17 pm

To sum it up, alot of screaming and yelling, then I break down into tears, then after that I totally shut down.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 8:24 pm

Mine are like yours. I shut down...or just hide.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 8:38 pm

Thinking back, I've a few different "meltdowns."

*shutdowns-cry, silence, numbness, shakiness.

*blow-ups-extreme violence to self or object. Destruction mode.

*minor blow ups (often precursor to major if it ain't brought down a notch)-yelling uncontrollably.

*"Fack" moments-seemingly minor things that really piss me off and cause me to yell in a short, loud, but quickly controllable way. Most often saying "Fack!" really loudly. Why "fack"? Cos I work in a shop with customers, and cussing ain't too considerate. How do I remain considerate? I don't know, but sometimes I just cuss anyway...

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2008, 9:34 pm

I can´t be rational when I´m in a meltdown:
I yell, I use philosophical arguments to dumb people and expect they understand, loose control of discourse (if I am trying to make some point).
Sometimes I kick the things around, in my house I destroy some plates...
When is a place that is causing the meltdown I run away, like crowded shopping centers... I just leave very fast, almost running. In a bar I once through the money to pay the bill to the maid to leave fast (a very impolite thing).
But if I stay a bit more I feel that I will loose conscience, like an upcoming blackout...

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 9:46 pm

go to prison or hospital

so it seems.. :roll:

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 9:59 pm

Never had meltdowns. Got pissed off as f**k as certain family members. But I maintained some sense of control. Desperately wanted to free myself from any social constraints and become a wild animal though...too much of a p**** or not able to do that.

I have experienced possible shutdowns. You lose all the blood feeling, can barely pay attention to others, can barely comprehend others, etc.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 10:01 pm

hug my knees close to make me small as possible and rock/thump my head on my knees or arms whilst crying... sometimes helps to scream/cry as loud as possible... that seems to syncopate with the slow squeeze/thudding of my heart... until i've gasped my last and there are no more tears... and then the mopping begins until i gain a second wind or come out of it.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 10:03 pm

I pace around the house and bite my fingers, or hit myself on the back of my head.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 10:37 pm

I usually just cry ALOT..........

I have hit my forehead alot. Than I just shut down. Sometimes I won't eat.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 11:47 pm

Warsie wrote:
Never had meltdowns. Got pissed off as f**k as certain family members. But I maintained some sense of control. Desperately wanted to free myself from any social constraints and become a wild animal though...too much of a p**** or not able to do that.

I NEVER thought about that! I broke a person's wrist, and was almost incoherent!! Nobody could stop me until I was sure it was BROKEN! I nearly killed several other people. They were bullies that pushed me WAY to far, they all happened before I was 15. I am usually WAY too passive, and people have acted like I was a coward because I seemed like such a pushover.

Warsie wrote:
I have experienced possible shutdowns. You lose all the blood feeling, can barely pay attention to others, can barely comprehend others, etc.

That is similar to what I have been calling a meltdown.

Mon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2008, 1:36 am

I rant and rave, shake my hands and sometimes if I'm really upset I jump up and down. I suppose you could liken it to a 3 year old tantrum :oops: