Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ImMelody
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 6:56 am

Quote:
One important goal of increasing awareness about autism is to foster a greater level of acceptance and understanding of the very real and significant challenges it poses to individuals with the disorder and their families. The good news is that we see more and more expressions of this compassion every day and everywhere, from classrooms and playgrounds to ballparks and supermarkets. Unfortunately, there are those who are apparently incapable of feeling compassion. They deserve our pity, not our scorn.

I cannot believe Autism Speaks decided to take the "high road." As much as I don't feel they speak for autism, I would have expected them to take a stronger stance against this man. Being that they are the largest voice of autism (whether we like it or not), it is their responsibility to call for the swiftest action against him. Instead, they decide to be politically correct? All this shows is that he's allowed to say whatever he wants, and the "autism community" will not hold him accountable. :evil:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 7:34 am

I wonder how well-connected Michael Savage is?

Although I was not personally offended by his statements, I am offended on the behalf of others and I think they should give this guy a pink slip. The fact that he was unapologetic should earn him a media crucifixion.

Griff7272
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2008, 8:17 am

I don't think Autism Speaks is taking the high road behind the scenes. Michael Savage has just been pulled off the air in my state. The radio network that broadcasts Savage gets lots of ad dollars from Autism Speaks. Their commercials are on a lot. Savage says lots of things that get a rise out of people. I'm not defending him, but why was this incident the last straw for my local stations compared to any other thing Savage has said in the past?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 8:19 am

Maybe this was the last straw.

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 8:53 am

Why is everyone making such a big deal about this? He's a conservative commentator, saying crazy things is part of his job. This whole incident has got him quite a lot of attention from people who had probably barely heard the name Michael Savage before and now suddenly want the guy they never listened to off the air. I think his comments were very stupid, but I also don't think we should devote pages of discussion whenever someone says something stupid where other people can hear them.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 8:57 am

Evidently, Michael Savage has not offended you. But he has offended others.

I would not shrug it off becausew simply because he's "a conservative commentator."

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:02 am

Unfortunately we live in a world where the act of giving offense is now considered a crime worth ending someone's career. I would like to know what actual damage Michael Savage did to the people he offended that is worth the furor they have raised over it.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:04 am

Talk to the parents. Contact them. They'll give you an earful.

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:11 am

I'm sure they will, but parents tend to do that about anything. Not that being a parent of an autistic child isn't hard enough as it is, but we should not expect every person in america to bend their opinion to make things as easy as possible for them.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:18 am

You are mystifying.

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:22 am

Well I try to be, I just think this whole thing has been blown rather out of proportion. As aspies, we of all people should know what it feels like to say something stupid and be ostracized for it.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:24 am

Remind me of that the next time I call you a nasty name. :roll:

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:27 am

You can call me all the nasty names you want and I am not going to raise any great furor over it except perhaps calling you a few nasty names back.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:28 am

Cool. 8)

kip
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 11:06 am

I don't know... theres got to be at least a few cases of HFA, Aspergers and PDD-NOS that are really just a bratty arsed kid. I mean, we all have met that one dude who gets anything he wants from his doctor just to shut him up. If a parent got it in their head their kid was autistic, then they would doctor shop till proven right.

But it aint no 99%, thats for sure. Yea, what and how he said it were both very rude, but he does this for a living. No one puts up a fuss when he makes fun of anyone else. People just need to get off his back. All those parents on him over what he said are probably curbies.

Yea, I know there's a lot of kids out there with autisim, I'm one of them. But I wasn't offended.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 11:43 am

Why don't you get off the curebies' back, then? Why do they bother you when this guy clearly doesn't?