Page 1 of 5 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

windscar15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 431
Location: San Jose, California

23 Jul 2008, 3:46 pm

Its worse than blacksploitation.
Mary Tyler Moore appealed to feminists in a reasonable way.
Most Spike Lee movies paint a realistic picture of the lives of African-Americans.
But when it comes to mental disabilities, the most we get is back-patting sob stories or back-patting and unrealistic depictions.
My friend has OCD and says the same thing about Monk.
Stuff like this always have the main character with said mental affliction use said disability to his advantage to solve a problem, thing is, this rarely happens, nor would I even consider using my obsession with firearms to solve other than perhaps the overthrow of the state. Tell you what, if you make a movie about an autistic kid who brings about the collapse of civilization maybe I'll enjoy it.



Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,516
Location: Virginia Tech

23 Jul 2008, 4:15 pm

windscar15 wrote:
Its worse than blacksploitation.
Mary Tyler Moore appealed to feminists in a reasonable way.
Most Spike Lee movies paint a realistic picture of the lives of African-Americans.
But when it comes to mental disabilities, the most we get is back-patting sob stories or back-patting and unrealistic depictions.
My friend has OCD and says the same thing about Monk.
Stuff like this always have the main character with said mental affliction use said disability to his advantage to solve a problem, thing is, this rarely happens, nor would I even consider using my obsession with firearms to solve other than perhaps the overthrow of the state. Tell you what, if you make a movie about an autistic kid who brings about the collapse of civilization maybe I'll enjoy it.


Eh, I have OCD along with AS and I think Monk is hilarious. He gets into the same awkward situations I do.
Though I did see a representation of AS on one of the Law & Orders that really pissed me off. They made him a sort of soulless automaton. Which is too bad, because it is a show I usually love.
I generally think shows and movies like that are good for sort of mainstreaming our problems and helping us be accepted. They're unrealistic, but so are most of the shows involving NTs. Fiction in general is sucky at accurate representation.
Though I would love a movie about an autistic kid bringing about the collapse of civilization : )


_________________
?Evil? No. Cursed?! No. COATED IN CHOCOLATE?! Perhaps. At one time. But NO LONGER.?


Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

23 Jul 2008, 4:52 pm

Rainman was a good movie. But it was just that - a movie. When I watched it, I didn't think I was getting a realistic depiction of autism, it was a movie made for entertainment value (in all honesty, I don't think people cared about the autistic part of it nearly as much as the savant part). A movie about an autistic kid who destroys civilization? Yes, because we all know how all autistic people are nutty, power-hungry subversives and how their portrayal of such will only help their credibility. :roll: Plus, to be honest, there's nothing more generic and non-AS specific than disgruntled teenagers threatening to overthrow the government from their computers. I'm failing to the connection.

I have Tourettes syndrome, and it's parodied in the media more than OCD and autism put together, but you don't see me actually caring.


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


archdude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 172
Location: Southeasten Pennsylvania

23 Jul 2008, 5:41 pm

Rain Man tried to show its subject in a positive light. It may have been ham-handed but it was well intended. Also, I think much less was known about Autism at the time the movie was made.

As far as "the main character with said mental affliction us[ing] said disability to his advantage to solve a problem," I sure would like to have Rain Man's card counting ability! And windscar15 if you did use your obsession with firearms to overthrow of the state, what type of government would you replace it with? I might support you if you had a plan to increase liberty and sustain that increased liberty.



slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,411
Location: Ontario, Canada

23 Jul 2008, 5:43 pm

Why would anyone think an autistic kid could bring about the collapse of civilization?

Unless of course the said kid is the Antichrist revealed ... :twisted:



windscar15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 431
Location: San Jose, California

23 Jul 2008, 5:47 pm

archdude wrote:
Rain Man tried to show its subject in a positive light. It may have been ham-handed but it was well intended. Also, I think much less was known about Autism at the time the movie was made.

As far as "the main character with said mental affliction us[ing] said disability to his advantage to solve a problem," I sure would like to have Rain Man's card counting ability! And windscar15 if you did use your obsession with firearms to overthrow of the state, what type of government would you replace it with? I might support you if you had a plan to increase liberty and sustain that increased liberty.


Anarchy baby! Yeah!! !



slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,411
Location: Ontario, Canada

23 Jul 2008, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Anarchy baby! Yeah!! !


:roll:



Brunny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 129

23 Jul 2008, 6:18 pm

I think we're all anarchists at heart but how do you stop people from setting up a power structure to control people without yourself setting up a power structure to control people?



slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,411
Location: Ontario, Canada

23 Jul 2008, 6:19 pm

Brunny wrote:
I think we're all anarchists at heart but how do you stop people from setting up a power structure to control people without yourself setting up a power structure to control people?


EXACTLY! :D



windscar15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 431
Location: San Jose, California

24 Jul 2008, 1:22 am

Get rid of Jesus and the government.
Leave things to voluntary unions, read up on it yourself, get your nerdy heads out of 4-Chan and into some good books and sites.



Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,599

24 Jul 2008, 3:37 am

It's an ok rendition of someone with Autism. Whilst the character displays nearly all of the symptoms to some extent, which isn't as common as having several; I identify with the character for he's not much different to me in appearance and outcome (I pretty much have all of the symptoms of Autism, barring the associated special abilities).

I also identify with Monk in relation to many of his rituals (stepping over cracks, not liking touch, though the latter with me isn't due to a germ phobia like Monk).



slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,411
Location: Ontario, Canada

24 Jul 2008, 12:17 pm

windscar15 wrote:
Get rid of Jesus and the government.
Leave things to voluntary unions, read up on it yourself, get your nerdy heads out of 4-Chan and into some good books and sites.


What does this post have to do with the rest of the thread? And no, we won't be gettingf rid of Jesus or the government any time soon. Dream on.



Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

24 Jul 2008, 2:03 pm

slowmutant wrote:
windscar15 wrote:
Get rid of Jesus and the government.
Leave things to voluntary unions, read up on it yourself, get your nerdy heads out of 4-Chan and into some good books and sites.


What does this post have to do with the rest of the thread? And no, we won't be gettingf rid of Jesus or the government any time soon. Dream on.


I agree. People have a freedom to believe in whomever or whatever they want, and to deny them that freedom would require the usage of some form of authoritative enforcement and undermines anarchy's entire spirit. Anarchy is a naive concept that requires only the most optimistic characterization of mankind in order to function correctly.


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,411
Location: Ontario, Canada

24 Jul 2008, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Anarchy is a naive concept that requires only the most optimistic characterization of mankind in order to function correctly.


I could not have said it better. :salut:



windscar15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 431
Location: San Jose, California

24 Jul 2008, 5:04 pm

screw you, you're just a bunch of sheep