Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 7:28 am

nekowafer wrote:
It became a huge problem for me at work..
I really try to show interest in other people, too, but not looking at them while they're speaking makes them think I don't care, even when I respond intelligently. I hope I get one of the two jobs I'm looking for.. security or IT work. Neither will involve talking to people much :D

I understand you because I'm almost in the same situation at the moment. Two girls working in the office before I had come joined their efforts to make me resign. I even wrote here to ask for help from Aspies who could probably had experienced that, and their advices helped me of course, but still I decided to go on vacation and to fix my nerves, and then to resign all the same...
No money is worth health - that's what I concluded. And more than only me in one room is also a terrible thing :wink:

Mon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2008, 2:57 am

Yes, I do it. It's like a line is crossed, and then you think, what the heck, I'll just keep going!

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 9:02 pm

nekowafer wrote:
I find myself telling others way too much about my personal life - sexual or otherwise - than they need to or care to know. I'm aware that they don't need to know it, but for some reason it just pours out of me and I keep going. I can even see that they're either offended, disgusted, or bored, and I still keep going. I also suck at keeping secrets, lying, and setting up surprises, because I can't seem to keep myself from saying something.

I dunno if this is an AS thing or a nekowafer thing. Anyone else do this?

I think it's an AS thing, because I have the exact same problem. I've said way too much online but have managed to mostly keep my real name and address, etc off of the net (by some miracle). However, I have said far more about myself here and in other forums than I ever intended. I'm allright at keeping secrets these days, but when I was younger? No way. I couldn't keep my mouth shut if my life depended on it. I've learned to control myself to some degree and kee from blurting things out. There are times, though, when I KNOW I need to keep things I've heard to myself but find myself slipping the information out anyway somewhere online or in email. I catch myself, though, and I ether delete the email or post before I send, or if it's in a post I can edit, I go back and wipe it out.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2008, 9:39 pm

I was rather open as a child. Eventually I started noticing that people didn't like it so I made mental filters and ran everything threw them. Still have a lot of filters but slowly trying to get rid of some cause I'm not open enough.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2008, 10:26 pm

It really is good to know that there are so many others that do the same things as I do. I haven't been diagnosed with AS but so many things in my life are pointing towards it. It would be so nice, just to know I wasn't alone in this.

Smitch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2008, 11:16 pm

I don't tend to ramble much (anymore) but if a direct question is asked, I tend to answer it even if it was supposed to be rhetorical. This has led to several cases of people claiming "TMI! TMI!" and I've left it up to them to start asking appropriate questions. :twisted: Though when in a work environment I'm kinda in an alert state and run everything through a filter first just in case. :?

Jael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2008, 11:17 pm

I used to do this all the time...as I got older, I learned to control it and now I am fairly discreet.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 12:48 am

Yeah I tend to do this, since starting my own business I have learnt ot keep my mouth shut. It is an aspie thing. my partner works with aspie kids at school (hence my DX cos I was relating to the kids behaviour when she debriefed at home) they do it all the time.javascript:emoticon(':)')