Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 2:20 pm

Well, my friend Michelle invited me to a group for it on Facebook created by her because she and a friend of hers are doing it because they have family with autism. It is going to be my first walk for the idea. Its a good chance for me to take some stress off from the school year so far and some other things maybe.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 4:36 pm

Well here is the link to the group.

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref= ... 8797125707

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Jul 2008, 5:39 pm

Don't go on that walk. It benefits Autism Speaks.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 6:20 pm

alex wrote:

Actually, it depends on where you are.

Some smaller (local) organizations which are more respectable have their own walks.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 6:24 pm

alex wrote:

Alex,
Maybe we're all making assumptions about stuff and it is possible we do it as well to Autism Speaks. I'm neutral in the whole thing around Autism Speaks because sometimes you need have both conservative and liberal views on things. I'm pro choice about a lot of things and I choose to do it because I wanted to. My friend Michelle's older sister who Severe Autism has accomplished a lot in her life like you and I. This is why I called myself a moderate because it shows you grasp the view on both sides of the issue. The point is I'm doing it because I feel like it. What you say can be something completely opposite from someone else is also a point here as well.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 7:45 am

beau99 wrote:
alex wrote:

Actually, it depends on where you are.

Some smaller (local) organizations which are more respectable have their own walks.

I agree with beau because it is true at times.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 9:39 am

I guess my point hit hard on everyone as a reality most likely.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 4:08 pm

What is your point?

And why does a person have to be a moderate to understand "both" sides of something?

For that matter, why are there considered to be only two sides in the first place?

Can't a person understand several sides of an issue but still have a preference of their own?

For that matter, neutrality itself is something there are several sides on. As evidenced by the sheer number of famous quotes I found with different viewpoints on it (from pages called 'neutrality quotes', 'neutral quotes', and so on):

Quote:
"The [darkest/hottest] places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

"The only way to be true to our American tradition is to maintain absolute governmental neutrality regarding religious beliefs and practices."

"Neutrality is at times a graver sin than belligerence."

"In the relationship between man and religion, the state is firmly committed to a position of neutrality."

"People who demand neutrality in any situation are usually not neutral but in favor of the status quo."

"I have a kind of neutrality, physically, which has helped me. I have a face that can be made to look a lot better - or a lot worse."

"The concept of neutrality can lead to a brooding and pervasive devotion to the secular and a passive, or even active, hostility to the religious. Such results are not only not compelled by the Constitution, but, it seems to me, are prohibited by it."

"The Chancellor also in effect asks us to bargain away whatever obligation or interest we have as regards the neutrality of Belgium. We could not entertain that bargain either."

"Even to observe neutrality you must have a strong government."

"If net neutrality goes away, it will fundamentally change everything about the Internet."

"Neutrality, as a lasting principle, is an evidence of weakness."

"Never break the neutrality of a port or place, but never consider as neutral any place from whence an attack is allowed to be made."

"To my mind, what we ought to have maintained from the beginning was the strictest neutrality. If we had done this, I do not believe we would have been on the verge of war at the present time."

"Switzerland is part of the fight against terrorism. There is no neutrality against this threat."

"Let me reassure that the Kingdom of Cambodia a country with independence, neutrality, peace, freedom, democracy and human rights as you all have seen, shall be existing with no end."

"The government must pursue a course of complete neutrality toward religion."

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality."

"From the moment this war began, there was, for this state, only one policy possible, neutrality."

"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

"Neutrality is a negative word. It does not express what America ought to feel. We are not trying to keep out of trouble; we are trying to preserve the foundations on which peace may be rebuilt."

"There is no neutral ground in the universe; every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God and counter-claimed by Satan"

"Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral."

"Who can be wise, amazed, temperate and furious, Loyal and neutral, in a moment? No man."

"The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them."

"Nature is neutral."

"Time is neutral and does not change things. With courage and initiative, leaders change things."

"Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some of the smaller countries are neutral."

"The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people."

"No one can demand that you be neutral toward the crime of genocide. If there is a judge in the whole world who can be neutral toward this crime, that judge is not fit to sit in judgment."

"When in doubt who will win, be neutral"

"The creative artist seems to be almost the only kind of man that you could never meet on neutral ground. You can only meet him as an artist. He sees nothing objectively because his own ego is always in the foreground of every picture."

"Neutral men are the devil's allies."

"It was a good place for getting lost in, a city no one ever knew, a city explored from the neutral heart outward, until after many years, it defined itself into a jumble of clearings separated by stretches of the unknown, through which the narrowest"

"Style is not neutral; it gives moral directions."

"Fame is morally neutral."

"I think that in the minds of many, the press is being seen less and less as a neutral observer in the impeachment enterprise and more and more as participants, or even collaborators."

“I think that technologies are morally neutral until we apply them”

"I Like this quote I dislike this quote“In Tetrad form, the artefact is seen to be not neutral or passive, bur an active logos or utterance of the human mind or body that transforms the user and his ground."

"Just for a word - 'neutrality', a word which in wartime has so often been disregarded, just for a scrap of paper - Great Britain is going to make war."

"Neutrality is no favorite with Providence, for we are so formed that it is scarcely possible for us to stand neuter in our hearts, although we may deem it prudent to appear so in our actions."

"A full-dressed ecclesiastic is a sort of go-cart of divinity; an ethical automaton. A clerical prig is, in general, a very dangerous as well as contemptible character. The utmost that those who thus habitually confound their opinions and sentiments with the outside coverings of their bodies can aspire to, is a negative and neutral character, like wax-work figures, where the dress is done as much to the life as the man, and where both are respectable pieces of pasteboard, or harmless compositions of fleecy hosiery."

"Your body must become familiar with its death - in all its possible forms and degrees - as a self-evident, imminent, and emotionally neutral step on the way towards the goal you have found worthy of your life."

"The minute you shift to neutral when you're trying to go up a hill, you start going backwards."

Anyway, it'd seem to me that a neutral stance on neutrality would be an interesting paradox.

Not sure if any of that was about your point, because it was hard to see what your point was.

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2008, 4:16 pm

Can someone tell me what the thing surrounding Autism Speaks is?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 5:20 pm

anbuend wrote:
What is your point?

And why does a person have to be a moderate to understand "both" sides of something?

For that matter, why are there considered to be only two sides in the first place?

Can't a person understand several sides of an issue but still have a preference of their own?

For that matter, neutrality itself is something there are several sides on. As evidenced by the sheer number of famous quotes I found with different viewpoints on it (from pages called 'neutrality quotes', 'neutral quotes', and so on):

Quote:
"The [darkest/hottest] places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

"The only way to be true to our American tradition is to maintain absolute governmental neutrality regarding religious beliefs and practices."

"Neutrality is at times a graver sin than belligerence."

"In the relationship between man and religion, the state is firmly committed to a position of neutrality."

"People who demand neutrality in any situation are usually not neutral but in favor of the status quo."

"I have a kind of neutrality, physically, which has helped me. I have a face that can be made to look a lot better - or a lot worse."

"The concept of neutrality can lead to a brooding and pervasive devotion to the secular and a passive, or even active, hostility to the religious. Such results are not only not compelled by the Constitution, but, it seems to me, are prohibited by it."

"The Chancellor also in effect asks us to bargain away whatever obligation or interest we have as regards the neutrality of Belgium. We could not entertain that bargain either."

"Even to observe neutrality you must have a strong government."

"If net neutrality goes away, it will fundamentally change everything about the Internet."

"Neutrality, as a lasting principle, is an evidence of weakness."

"Never break the neutrality of a port or place, but never consider as neutral any place from whence an attack is allowed to be made."

"To my mind, what we ought to have maintained from the beginning was the strictest neutrality. If we had done this, I do not believe we would have been on the verge of war at the present time."

"Switzerland is part of the fight against terrorism. There is no neutrality against this threat."

"Let me reassure that the Kingdom of Cambodia a country with independence, neutrality, peace, freedom, democracy and human rights as you all have seen, shall be existing with no end."

"The government must pursue a course of complete neutrality toward religion."

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality."

"From the moment this war began, there was, for this state, only one policy possible, neutrality."

"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

"Neutrality is a negative word. It does not express what America ought to feel. We are not trying to keep out of trouble; we are trying to preserve the foundations on which peace may be rebuilt."

"There is no neutral ground in the universe; every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God and counter-claimed by Satan"

"Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral."

"Who can be wise, amazed, temperate and furious, Loyal and neutral, in a moment? No man."

"The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them."

"Nature is neutral."

"Time is neutral and does not change things. With courage and initiative, leaders change things."

"Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some of the smaller countries are neutral."

"The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people."

"No one can demand that you be neutral toward the crime of genocide. If there is a judge in the whole world who can be neutral toward this crime, that judge is not fit to sit in judgment."

"When in doubt who will win, be neutral"

"The creative artist seems to be almost the only kind of man that you could never meet on neutral ground. You can only meet him as an artist. He sees nothing objectively because his own ego is always in the foreground of every picture."

"Neutral men are the devil's allies."

"It was a good place for getting lost in, a city no one ever knew, a city explored from the neutral heart outward, until after many years, it defined itself into a jumble of clearings separated by stretches of the unknown, through which the narrowest"

"Style is not neutral; it gives moral directions."

"Fame is morally neutral."

"I think that in the minds of many, the press is being seen less and less as a neutral observer in the impeachment enterprise and more and more as participants, or even collaborators."

“I think that technologies are morally neutral until we apply them”

"I Like this quote I dislike this quote“In Tetrad form, the artefact is seen to be not neutral or passive, bur an active logos or utterance of the human mind or body that transforms the user and his ground."

"Just for a word - 'neutrality', a word which in wartime has so often been disregarded, just for a scrap of paper - Great Britain is going to make war."

"Neutrality is no favorite with Providence, for we are so formed that it is scarcely possible for us to stand neuter in our hearts, although we may deem it prudent to appear so in our actions."

"A full-dressed ecclesiastic is a sort of go-cart of divinity; an ethical automaton. A clerical prig is, in general, a very dangerous as well as contemptible character. The utmost that those who thus habitually confound their opinions and sentiments with the outside coverings of their bodies can aspire to, is a negative and neutral character, like wax-work figures, where the dress is done as much to the life as the man, and where both are respectable pieces of pasteboard, or harmless compositions of fleecy hosiery."

"Your body must become familiar with its death - in all its possible forms and degrees - as a self-evident, imminent, and emotionally neutral step on the way towards the goal you have found worthy of your life."

"The minute you shift to neutral when you're trying to go up a hill, you start going backwards."

Anyway, it'd seem to me that a neutral stance on neutrality would be an interesting paradox.

Not sure if any of that was about your point, because it was hard to see what your point was.

My point was that some people can say one thing about something and it is completely opposite from what other people say. Actually you can but it is difficult to attain different view points when you might be close-minded. Being neutral in this case means that I'm not on either side for my own personal reasons. Another point was that everyone makes assumptions about almost anything like Autism Speaks.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 5:19 pm

I think it is better to have a walk which raises awareness that we are people who deserve respect.

Taking a break.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 6:03 pm

I think it's better to give money to an autistic person so they can go out and buy some pie.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 6:41 pm

Mage wrote:
I think it's better to give money to an autistic person so they can go out and buy some pie.

mmmmm i like pie!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 6:54 pm

Ok... you know that is spamming the thread here but lol i'm okay with it. Anyway I'm still going to do it.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2008, 11:00 pm

Fossy wrote:
Can someone tell me what the thing surrounding Autism Speaks is?

Well, there's a number of things with them, the main one being how they, through their subsidary "Cure Autism Now" are supporting research to find a prenatal test for Autism so that pregnant mothers can abort their Autistic children in the same way as what happens with Down Syndrome.

Other than that, there's the way that they claim to be the ONLY voice for Autism, the way that their "facts" are very often inaccurate, the way their "awareness" never so much as mentions adults with Autism, the way the shows they produce "episdoes of Oprah for example" are usually completely about how much of a burden Autism is on everyone else, and very rarely mention what it's actually like to live with Autism, the way they never mention Asperger's or any other form of higher-functioning Autism, etc.

And of course, let's not forget their video "Autism Every Day" which they use to promote themselves, when they show Allison Singer (their senior vice president) talking about how she was seriously planning on driving off the George Washington bridge with her Autistic daughter in the car to kill them both, and the ONLY reason she didn't was because her non-Autistic daughter would have to grow up without a mother. And when you watch that video, notice the girl in pink that's right behind her, in close listening range, yea, that's her Autistic daughter that she wanted to kill.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:04 am

^Well that can be true but we might be making assumptions as well on the matter as rational human beings. We make mistakes and assumed too much stuff so this could be the case on the matter. Though the mission of Autism Speaks makes them sound silly because half the stuff they state will more likely not happened at all due many other reasons. I'm holding no grudge to them because I'm pro-choice and other rational reasons.