Do you go off topic or say irrelevant things

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

04 Aug 2008, 1:14 am

I have been told by some people I say things that don't need to be said, and I go off topic. Lot of people don't tell me this. I assume I do this all the time because it gets pointed out to me. I do not know when I am doing it. I sometimes get told I say things lot of people wouldn't normally say. One of them asked me if I am autistic. I told him I am on the spectrum.

So does anyone often go of topic or say things that are irrelevant?

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2008, 1:18 am

*raises hand* mhm mhm....

i tried applying to a beauty cult on vampirefreaks.com a while back (its a group for 'pretty' people with 'superb' personalities, application required for entry. btw, a 'cult' on vampriefreaks is just a fancy term for group) and the main reason they didnt accept me is cause i kept going off topic and rambling.... someone also said that just because im a little hyper and obsessive over lolita/cute things meant i was immature... depends on your definition of immature... i think immaturity is the inability to accept life and the real world, rather than having childlike qualities... but thats just me...

but yeah, off-topic things happen alot >_< as do ramblings

AliasPseudonym
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2008, 2:04 am

So who else likes wood?

04 Aug 2008, 2:15 am

Yeah I tend to ramble too. I try to shorten them but I am still rambling nonetheless when I do shorten them.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 3:12 am

Sometimes the thread is so long that the last post often is off-topic. And then I am at my wit's end: should I answer the main theme or the latest posts which are off-topic? :scratch:

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:00 am

I like wood and beautiful fabric. Today I bought a beautiful, new, silk blouse and pants for three dollars at Goodwill to give to the Mother of the little girl I am supporting in Rwanda. Whee!

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:07 am

Chaotica wrote:
Sometimes the thread is so long that the last post often is off-topic. And then I am at my wit's end: should I answer the main theme or the latest posts which are off-topic? :scratch:

The way I see it, anything that was logically arrived at in the thread is fair game. If the thread drifts, you're still on topic. For example if we go from the sky being blue to thunderstorms dumping a lot of rain to the rivers flooding over the course of a few pages, with each post being related to the previous posts, you are still on topic. However, if the discussion is "why is the sky blue?" and I suddenly come in with a post that hurricanes cause lots of damage, with nothing to connect it, that's off topic.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:13 am

Yes, quite a bit.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 10:14 am

kc8ufv wrote:
Chaotica wrote:

The way I see it, anything that was logically arrived at in the thread is fair game. If the thread drifts, you're still on topic. For example if we go from the sky being blue to thunderstorms dumping a lot of rain to the rivers flooding over the course of a few pages, with each post being related to the previous posts, you are still on topic. However, if the discussion is "why is the sky blue?" and I suddenly come in with a post that hurricanes cause lots of damage, with nothing to connect it, that's off topic.

If so, then I rarely go off topic.

johnners
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2008, 12:14 pm

As far as posting to forums is concerned, I will make a point of staying on-topic, and get very annoyed when the topic drifts.

But in normal face-to-face situations, I'm terrible at just coming out with random stuff. I used to wonder, too, why I did it, but having a think I realised it's that train of thought in your head that does it. Say you're lucky enough to be at a party and see an attractive NT lady, and you begin chatting to her. She asks you about where you work, the conversation peters out a bit (as it always does!), and your train of thought starts rolling....work >> getting paid >> what I'd do with some money >> must get some cash out to go shopping >> what shall I get at the supermaket >> Wouldn't mind some cheese. Your mouth opens and says "I could do with a nice bit of Danish blue right now". She looks at you a bit funny and decides you're a bit odd.

Also, it could be a pent-up need to share some bit of trivia which, to you, is extremely important or interesting, but to the NT is irrelevant. It's July, it's 9pm and it's 60 degrees outside, about 10 degrees lower than the average, and 5 degrees lower than last year's figure you found out on the internet earlier. This makes all sorts of connections in your brain, this was the temperature that night you had that date, etc. Someone comes along and rather than greeting them you say "It's 60 degrees outside, that's 10 degrees less...." etc. If you're lucky, the other person will just say "Right, I see" and wander off; if you're unlucky, you'll get "What the f*** are you on about, your weirdo?". for me, the danger signs are sentences beginning with "Did you know that..." or "I remember when...".

I've learned now that it's a question of keeping a lid on it. It's safer and less frustrating, and you don't beat yourself up after the fact wondering whether you talk too much.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:32 pm

i do this a lot... though imo, my input is not irrelevant... just moreso of a tangential connection than direct. though it's often hard for me to tell when is which and i can't seem to anticipate when people are going to screw their faces up at me and ask me to explain. but i often come up with ideas and things that help out a lot... details missed... which is good for something.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:42 pm

One of my elementary school teachers noted on my report card that I didn't often contribute to discussions, and when I did it wasn't relevant to the topic. I think it was the third or fourth grade. I was better at it as I got older, but I still go off on a tangent once in a while.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 1:00 pm

Yes. All the time. Of course it's not irrelevant to me in the situation or else I'd not say. But other people who cannot read my mind naturally find something that I may say irrelevant. Because they cannot see any connections between what I said and the current situation. Or they interpret what I sway in a way that makes what I said unconnected to the situation, whereas another facet of what I said is connected to the topic indeed.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 3:53 pm

Yep... a lot, I annoy people with this.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:43 pm

YEP, I certainly do! So what else is new?

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:44 pm

I used to do it but now I'm much more disciplined and self aware and able to control it.

Hey that song I would walk 500 miles is very popular here in Scotland.It's a favourite among
football crowds.