Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

deobfuscated_aspie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2008, 8:17 pm

As confusing as this thread may seem, I've learned one thing from Bruce Lee. All arts are like pieces of steak, at least to me. When I get one, the first thing I do is 'cut off the fat'.

Whatever you learn, what matters most is not as much the art itself but the one executing it. The art itself is only action. Do not limit your mind to anything. If you truly want to be the one in control of the situation, you will be.

Cut out the tradition, the ceramonial BS (if any), and don't do what's not practical for you in a given situation. You know yourself better than anyone else here.

I've never officially learned an art, but I have watched and learned many things. Some of the most practical, that I happened to see applied "on the street" was simple US Army self defense tricks. :wink:

While practicing whatever art(s) you do decide on, imagine these moves/applications in a real world situation. What will you do if someone runs up to you with a knife? What if someone jumps on your back unexpectedly and gets you on the ground? What if someone puts a gun in your face while sitting in a nonmoving car? USE YOUR MIND.

If you want a good read I recommend Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 2:03 pm

If all you're interested in is self-defense, then sure: cut out the ceremonial stuff.
Some of us like the confucian grace of a little ceremony, though - like going to (Catholic) mass where it is still spoken in Latin, once in a while.