Ever talk about your interests in real life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 6:15 am

I kinda like stuff like closing logos, station IDs, TV promos and commercials, movie trailers, etc. most of the time and the only place I talk about those interests is on the internet, but I wonder how can I tell people in real life if they like those things?

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:05 am

I try to talk about my interests only if they come up in conversation, and then I try to keep from going on too long and boring the person I'm talking to. If they've stopped asking you questions, usually they're not interested anymore.

A good time to talk about commercials would be right after the Super Bowl. A good time to discuss trailers would be if movies or what movie to see came up in conversation. I really don't think most NTs would share your other interests.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:44 am

You mean like religion, philosophy, psychology, spiritualism and WrongPlanet? What else would I talk about? :)

- Emerson

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:31 am

Yes I have talked about my interests in real life a bit.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:58 am

To anyone who will listen...

blossoms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2008, 1:17 pm

Yep, all the time. It's not intentional or anything, I just blurt it out and later regret it a bit.

Anyway, I am a bit isolated, my contact is mainly and nearly exclusively with close family. They're used to it and my mum is extra supportive (really in anything, she always goes the extra mile) and joins in!

In contact with new folk it usually turns them off and they usually don't keep in contact! Often it can makes others feel inadequate as well, they can take it wrong but all I want to do is just free wheel my thoughts. I just get a buzz and kick out of it. Oh well...

DustinWX
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 2:30 pm

no

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

I try to keep from going over the top but otherwise - why not drag things into real life... that's where you have to live.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:19 pm

I do, all the time.

Except for everything I post in the Adult forum, though.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:10 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

aww, but that's the best stuff to talk about.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:53 pm

CelticRose wrote:
I try to talk about my interests only if they come up in conversation, and then I try to keep from going on too long and boring the person I'm talking to. If they've stopped asking you questions, usually they're not interested anymore.

A good time to talk about commercials would be right after the Super Bowl. A good time to discuss trailers would be if movies or what movie to see came up in conversation. I really don't think most NTs would share your other interests.

I wonder when's a good time to talk about closing logos and station IDs?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:09 pm

roygerdodger wrote:

Bedtime?

Or you could say, this show is sooo boring that I'd rather watch the closing logo... hey, I'm even looking forward to seeing it. :D

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:14 pm

gbollard wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:

Bedtime?

Or you could say, this show is sooo boring that I'd rather watch the closing logo... hey, I'm even looking forward to seeing it. :D

You've seen closing logos before?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:20 pm

gbollard wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

aww, but that's the best stuff to talk about.

It depends on the company. My family/family friends are very conservative. One of them freaked out about the song "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 12:41 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
It depends on the company. My family/family friends are very conservative. One of them freaked out about the song "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry.

Tim,

You need to freak those relatives out a little more... They need a bit of waking up.

Heck, my 4 and 7 year old sons have been singing Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo since last Christmas - but I've gotten them started on "Chocolate Salty Balls" now and my 7yo can sing most of it very well.

The teacher at my son's school wrote a note to say that he'd said a bad word... When we spoke to the teacher she said that he'd said "Oh my God!" - I said to my wife (not to the teacher), aw gee, I thought he'd said "fk" or something. We both had a good laugh.

---

roygerdodger,

Dunno if I've seen the closing logos or not, are they US TV Logos, Animated or Still logos? Are they TV Station specific or are you referring to film logos like DTS or Paramount? We have a great TV "closer" on one channel in Australia. A giant possum comes out and tells the kids that it's time for bed.

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2008, 1:24 am

I talk about my interests quite often - mostly in relation to football ('soccer').

I will be doing so more often due to football season starting in most European leagues. A-League will start shortly as well.