Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 6:22 am

I want to know what kinds of activities or substances put people in a good mood. I have a few things that work for me sometimes:

-Exercising at the gym boosts my confidence, but I'm a little self-conscious about walking around there - I'm not sure why.
-Tea - I just had this herbal tea and I feel all fuzzy inside. It's pretty nice, actually. I need to get some more of this blend.
-I'm not sure how well Vitamin B is doing me, but I've been taking those Stress-B Complex pills almost every day, and sometimes it feels like it helps.
-I tried pot once and it made me feel very confident and boosted my self-esteem for a while. I think I might try it again sometime, but I'm interested in non-smoking methods to spare my lungs. It's a controversial substance, yeah, but the more-conventional alcohol just makes me insanely drowsy (plus it tastes bad :x).

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 8:33 am

from a chemical point of view the three bonded carbons ( -enes) tend to stimulate people and elevate mood......so most people know these as caffiENE and nicotENE.
what is currently of interest to me at the moment is the use of smells to augment and alter mood and perception.
the smell industry, fragrances, perfumes room fresheners is larger than the pharmaceutical industry.

there may be more to pot and incense than just the mind altering ability on mood, the smell may have a more significant affect than previously relaised.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 9:06 am

I thought I heard scent is the sense most strongly bound to memory...but that might have been from a cologne commercial. :P I'm not sure about pot's smell - it just smelled like burning wood to me. :?

Personally I'm trying to get off the caffeine. I haven't been drinking coffee and I've been having tea with little or no caffeine in it.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 9:11 am

scent is bound to memory by two methods that are seperate but related. the olfactory epithelium links into the brain and the cortex of the brain so you smell things and recognise them.
but we havem along with a lot of lizards and other close to the ground type animals like snakes a vomeronasal sense of smell that links into the " hind brain" and it is here that smells can evoke strong emotions and memories particularly relating to childhood memories...sorry it is a bit deep, once of my shifting but many current areas of study/research.

some smells elicit aggressive and violent responses where other ensure soothign and calmness.
the sense of smell is a remarkable complex underestimated and understaed sense.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2008, 7:54 pm

Back rubs work best for me...