Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 4:15 pm

Do people with asperges normally develop odd sleeping patterns??? Mine are quite well lets say weird.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 7:30 pm

Funny you should mention this since I just blogged about it...

http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.com/2008/08/aspergers-and-sleep-disorders.html

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 9:25 pm

Oh and I have noticed lately when I start getting sleepy I start to sweat. I guess I'm part of that 75% grrr so annoying and it don't help I feel like I have ran a marathon when I wake up. I toss, turn, kick, scream, talk, hit etc. all night long.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 12:49 am

Hmm...I've always had a difficult time going to sleep my entire life. When I was 6, my used to have me and my sister go to sleep at 8:30 and I would be still be lying awake when my older brother was getting ready to go to sleep around 10. There are occational nights where I will suffer from insomnia. Normally I take half an hour to an hour to get to sleep. It greatly depends on my situation. My boyfriend whos aspie has a really hard time getting to sleep even though he takes half dosage of sleeping meds. It can sometimes take him a couple hours to get to sleep.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:41 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
Do people with asperges normally develop odd sleeping patterns???

I've been wondering about this as well. I've been a weird sleeper my whole life. I remember getting in trouble by my mother for not being asleep hours after she put me to bed. I can very easily go for two days without any sleep, which I do often - not ever purposely. Though there have been a few occasions when I've slept for more than 24 hours... :?

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:18 am

Perhaps our minds stay active longer than NTs?? I know when I can't sleep my mind can't seem to calm down it just keeps on going sometimes at normal speed other times at an accelerated speed.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:46 am

Well, I've only managed 2 or 3 hours sleep plus an hour trying to get back to sleep. Been up and about since about 4am this morning 8O

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 11:06 am

I CANNOT sleep at all unless I take Imovane (which is the Canadian version of Lunesta) as well as Melatonin. Ironically I didn't have major problems with this until a few years ago. And the problem is, once you are on a drug like Imovane, you are hooked :(

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2008, 12:09 am

I have a non-24-hour sleep-wake cycle. I am typically awake for approximately 18 hours and sleep for approximately 8 hours, meaning that my sleep-wake cycle shifts forward about two hours every day, making a full greater cycle roughly every 12 days. Somewhat interesting, somewhat obnoxious.

Recently, though, I had four small vials of blood taken during an appointment I made due to some shortness of breath problems I've been having, and when I returned home from the bloodwork I slept and could not stop sleeping for more than two hours at any time. Before I returned to my normal state, I slept for a total of 45 hours out of 61. I look forward to telling them about that little episode. I am dumbfounded as to how it could possibly occur.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 12:38 am

I got up at 6:00 AM two days ago, I didn't go to bed till 6:00 AM yesterday, slept four hours and been up every since. OMG it is so annoying.

darkwhispersdale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2008, 10:12 am

my sleeping patterns are ok but I have to stick to a routine and not deviate otherwise its all over the place and I start having insomnia.

rjay09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2008, 8:39 am

Uberman Sleep Schedule

I have been wanting to do this schedule for a while, but I've had trouble implementing it. It definitely requires a paradigm shift in how you look at time, sleep, and days. I never realized how psychologically nice it is to have a block of time that your mind doesn't have to account for. I've also found the UMSS to not mix well with intense training. 2 hours of fragmented sleep a day just doesn't feel like enough. Maybe its just psychological, I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find any research on exercise and this schedule, so YMMV.

Currently, I'm mostly sleeping 6 hours a night, 12am to 6am and sometimes an early afternoon nap for about half an hour. I want to work down to 4.5 hours + 30 minute nap eventually, but right now I'm trying to get the 6am wakeup time drilled in (although I'm not sure if I want to wake up at 4:30am instead). Another possibility would be for me to drop all the way down to 3 hours and add another nap.

Also check out Sleep Warrior. They have some great free ebooks. One of them is a practical guide to sleep 'hacking' with about 40 different tricks you can use to optimize sleep. The other is a pretty heavy research piece on alternative sleep schedules.

I've had trouble with sleep multiple times in my life. Usually I would get crazy racing thoughts and just stay wide awake until I 'slept' and then I would sleep for almost 12 hours straight, consistently. Very poor quality sleep. When I can regiment myself to get on a schedule, I tend to do very well, but I have a tough time sticking to it when life starts throwing stressful crap at me.

So to directly answer your question... yes, I've done some weird stuff with my sleep. :lol:

shadowmeld
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2008, 4:22 am

I've noticed my sleeping pattern goes almost non-existant when I'm stressed out or have high anxiety, or am severely depressed. Right now is one of those times (recently divorced, switching jobs/careers, not many friends). I generally fall asleep at 4am and get up at 10am. I"m averaging about six hours a 'day' so to speak, sometimes a little bit more. sometimes less.

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2008, 6:31 am

it is 4:30am my time. woke up around 11pm yesterday. need I say more?

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 2:28 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
Oh and I have noticed lately when I start getting sleepy I start to sweat. I guess I'm part of that 75% grrr so annoying and it don't help I feel like I have ran a marathon when I wake up. I toss, turn, kick, scream, talk, hit etc. all night long.

I cannot fall asleep before 4am at the moment, and have trouble getting up before 9am. thanks to antidepressants I can have nightsweating if I feel cold air/breeze moving over exposed skin, including under the sheets. I used to soak the bedsheets quite badly.

I'm going to try some aromatherapy, It's just been discovered that smelling something pleasant during sleep can help to sleep deeper.

EV
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2008, 7:49 am

I've no difficulty sleeping, these days. I get about 8 hours (a night), during the week and a few more (per night), during the weekend. However, when I was taking medication, I could not sleep without taking a sleep aid (more medication). The insomnia was awful and the lack of sleep made me feel like I was losing my mind.
So, I blame the meds, rather than asperger's.