Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 12:26 pm

As someone else has already said I think the best thing would be to stop feeding him.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:31 pm

savage comments were bad and i am not supporting him, in fact rather than flame savage i joined a large petition and other little ones to directly approach the advertisers of savages shows and boycott their products. ( as did alex on behalf of WP)
there is no such thing as an angry advertising account executive talking to a show producer.

anyway, when you pick apart his comment she was suggesting that Autism is the new disease to have and that everyone is now diagnosing it and trying to asist diagnosis, it is too easily diagnosed and he made a point that there was no definitive diagnostic test for austism and aspergers, he made a good point that it is too easily diagnosed and not an objective diagnosis,
what he said was wrong but dont let it cloud some valid points he otherwise may have made.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

donkey wrote:
savage comments were bad and i am not supporting him, in fact rather than flame savage i joined a large petition and other little ones to directly approach the advertisers of savages shows and boycott their products. ( as did alex on behalf of WP)
there is no such thing as an angry advertising account executive talking to a show producer.

anyway, when you pick apart his comment she was suggesting that Autism is the new disease to have and that everyone is now diagnosing it and trying to asist diagnosis, it is too easily diagnosed and he made a point that there was no definitive diagnostic test for austism and aspergers, he made a good point that it is too easily diagnosed and not an objective diagnosis,
what he said was wrong but dont let it cloud some valid points he otherwise may have made.

"99%" of the cases? no no no! sure its easy to diagnose it but ill tell ya y we can. cause we're almost able to diagnose autism at ONE! almost though. it was less prevelent 20 years ago cause we didnt know as much. another thing is that the criteria widened for autism with aspergers syndrome becoming official in 1994.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 1:10 pm

ok no argument from me, the higher incidence ( how many will get it) and prevalence( how many actually have it) is on the increase due to increased recogniotion and description of signs and symptoms.
your right we are getting better at it and finding more of it, the mercury myth doesnt support this.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 1:16 pm

donkey wrote:
ok no argument from me, the higher incidence ( how many will get it) and prevalence( how many actually have it) is on the increase due to increased recogniotion and description of signs and symptoms.
your right we are getting better at it and finding more of it, the mercury myth doesnt support this.

the mercury myth is bull

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 4:50 pm

My personal response Michael Savage's comments are to not listen to his show. I did not listen to his show before he made these comments either...

I feel the best response in these situations is no response (aside from perhaps a simple statement pointing out the inaccuracies of his comments and nothing more). He likes attention, I will not give it to him mine, he cannot have my hatred, only my apathy.

ASPowerations
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2008, 11:47 am

Michael Savage is making some accurate observations, but drawing the wrong conclusions. He observes that Autism is not nearly as bad as the media portray it to be. He also observes that in most cases, though something should be done, it's not so extreme as to require a cure.

Here are his mistakes:

He said that 99% of all cases of autism did not necessitate extraordinary action. Unfortunately, the number is more like 80-90%.

He said that Autism is fraud in such cases, not that it's just a minor condition or "no big deal".

On the positive side, Michael Savage did not refer to us as "messed up" or make any similar remarks. He respects us as considers us regular people who exhibit childlike behavior, and knows that there is hope for us. He spoke not of curing us or preventing our existence.

Though what he said was not completely accurate, it's not nearly as bad as what Autism Speaks or DAN are saying. We've got bigger proverbial fish to fry.