Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 2:54 pm

I'm wondering if any of you have had to deal with a contractor, who in turn deals with subcontractors, for work on houses.

I'm ready to scream. I've never heard so much truth twisting and avoidance of responsibility in my life. Sloppy work. Costing me money, and aggravation of peace of mind. I am so frustrated. And the contractor is making it out to be my fault! And no apologies, just excuses.

Oh dear. I have no defenses, just the company the contractor lists through; though they may be some help. I must withdraw, now. :cry:

I haven't mentioned my AS, as that would make me look even more vulnerable. The contractor is the super NT type, and I just can't read the BS. Help!

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 2:58 pm

read the contract. if you dont have one, get one.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 3:31 pm

Of course I had a contract. I thoroughly read and understand it. The contractor is lying and dancing around stated responsibilities. I'm having to go through mediation, as the contractor is listed with a company that provides vetted contractors, so this mess is supposed to be avoided. Sigh.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 3:51 pm

yep thats what they do...thats what you do.
they BS you to try and get away with it.
thats why we have contracts.
stick to the contract.

stimpysuzie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2008, 6:18 pm

Hi there,

First let me say that I understand that you are quite distressed by the Contractors.

However being a contractor myself and knowing a fair bit about the industry I can't give you any advice as you need to be more specific.

If you want to PM me with more info that would be fine or explain further in a post as to why you are upset.
Unfortunately a contractors rights far outweigh the HO as a rule of thumb.
They are not held liable for a lot.

Regards

Suzie

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 6:58 pm

Thanks Suzie,
It's so convoluted that I'm just shut down right now, even though I need to be working on this mess. After I get calmed down, I might PM you. (And it was a female contractor that I chose... :( ). She sounded highly competent and had an excellent rating. Oh, what do I know. Contractor - 1, HO - 0.

stimpysuzie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2008, 10:43 am

whenever you are ready that's fine Yowlingcat.

I have been a sub to various other companies in the past and I have to tell you what once surprised me about the industry, doesn't even faze me anymore.

There are no real regulatory bodies that one has to be a part of to practice their trade, so it leaves the gate wide open for the "cowboys" to roam free.

One day they will perhaps put something in place to better manage the companies that do what they do, but until then it is up to the HO to filter out the weasels.

The advice I would give before deciding on a contractor is as follows:

1: Get three quotes from different companies.

2: Do the companies have paid advertising and if so is it widespread?

3: Are referrals provided before signing the contract and if so are they reachable?

4: Detailed quotes and formal documents throughout the process?

5: Don't go for the low-baller, they are a low price for a reason.

6: Did they look respectable when estimating and were they knowledgeable about their service?

7: Are contracts signed by the man in charge or the subs?

8: The most they can ask for in a deposit is 30% to cover supplies and so forth.

9: Insurance, Insurance and Insurance. Ask for it and check it exists. Photoshop can do wonders these days!

10: Do they have a cell, land line and a fax that all work?

11: Would you feel comfortabel handing your keys to this person?

So that's about all I can think of for now.

Don't get too disillusioned because right now other people are going through what you are going through with no idea what to do and no help from anyone.

Take Care

Suzie