Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2005, 12:43 am

http://www.autismforum.net/index.php?mo ... tion=14:14

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 4:26 am

I might join that site yet.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2005, 8:47 am

ill take a look too.

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 4:10 pm

Nah. I am sticking with this place.

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2005, 12:08 pm

From the first page of that link

Quote:
here are places on the net that suggest that people with Asperger's Syndrome are able to function on a normal level, date, marry, and have families. I have stated in the definition of Asperger's Syndrome that the divorce rate remains high for people who are diagnosed with it. A very small number of people with Asperger's Syndrome are able to successfully date, marry, and raise families. Most of those individuals don't actually have the diagnosis. Instead, the medical community often considers them to be "autism cousins" or "cousins of Autism", meaning that they don't fit the criteria for a diagnosis, but have a scant few minor traits of the disorder. This section is not about those people. The sad fact is: relationships and dating are virtually non-existent for people with the actual diagnosis.

Usually, people develop the ability to make friends by the time they are 6 years of age and start more serious relationships by the time they are 13. On most occasions, the patient with Asperger's Syndrome has not even started a serious friendship with the opposite sex before the age of 30, if ever. For the most part, this makes a marriage or family highly unlikely for them. An added burden here are economic factors related to the inability to hold down employment, which serves to make the individual less of a candidate for a permanent relationship.

I find this offensive to imply that I won’t have the diagnoses just because I have learned some what how to cope