Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Beyonder
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2008, 4:08 pm

ablomov wrote:
I certainly think we need to address the unpopular issue of population growth. i think we need to stop population growth. The Chinese idea of limiting kids is a good idea. Free condoms for Africa and Asia, everyone. Gary Snyder addressed tgis forty years ago and in the UK Prof David Bellamy feels the same.

If we cant solve it willingly, i shudder to think . . . it may take world war 3 or some other form of catastrophe will solve it for us.

War isn't a far fetched idea. Prolly happen cuz of natural resources or land...

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 5:07 pm

twoshots wrote:
corroonb wrote:
According to your logic. Immigration doesn't exist. Japan will suffer because they largely do not let immigrants settle permanently.

:scratch: I didn't say that. I said that the focus of population growth is entirely in the third world. Moving people around doesn't stop it, and mass immigration doesn't necessarily fix the underlying economic problems, and in fact might just export them to a new country. If the Third World breeds at its current rate, we (they...) are in for trouble no matter which way you cut it. If the Third World doesn't, you have demographic shift issues that will do serious damage to the global economy over the next 100 years or so.

Quote:
The overall global population is increasing. This is fact.

I never denied it was. However, placing caps on birth rates is not only a violation of human rights, it won't work unless you put the caps someplace where the breeding is going on.

Quote:
Contraceptives should be available to everyone who wants them. This should be a human right. If you don't like them because of religious beliefs, that's fine. But other people think differently and should have the option, like a woman should have the option of abortion.

I have nothing against contraceptives. However, they aren't a basic human right. They are a technological innovation, and the solution of their distribution ought to be up to the market and charity. I have no problem with getting the rest of the world to use them (as long as you drop the "human right" rhetorical BS), although I have my doubts about how effective they'll be. There is a lot of work that needs to be done in Africa and the Mid-East, especially related to cultural values, before this is going to have enough of an impact.

Apologies for making assumptions.

I still think an obvious solution to overpopulation (and AIDs) is to make contraceptives easier to access in the poorer countries of the world. It may not be a human right but millions of children die every year in these countries because their parents simply can't afford to feed them or provide adequate medical care.

simplyhere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2008, 10:51 pm

corroonb wrote:
simplyhere wrote:
corroonb wrote:
I think human overpopulation is one of the most difficult challenges facing the planet. Countries like China and India are producing more and more people who will need food, electricity, cars. All these will increase fossil fuel use and the conflict the need for oil and gas appears to be fueling. The US, Europe, Japan also have much responsibility.

It seems everyone is ignoring this problem in favour of global warming which is simply a side effect of the massive increase in the population of humans over the last few centuries.

What is your opinion about this?

Over-population is a myth. . .just like Germans being the superior race was a myth. And below are some links that you can read over.

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/3046/overpop.htm

New Jersey also has a much higher population density than China, but only the most hardened would advocate forced sterilizations and forced abortions to save New Jersey from collapse. Having been in Switzerland, New Jersey, and China, I can say that the quality of life (environmental quality, income, life expectancy, and health care) is vastly superior in the first two, where the population density is higher. What's the difference? The political and economic systems must be taken into account. If a system hinders rather than rewards human productivity and impedes efficient utilization of resources through central planning, then the problem may not be due to numbers of people.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/Overpop.shtml

The Japanese island of Oshima is giving us an inkling of what the future may be like. Children are so rare that an old people's home set up dummies of a little boy and a pig-tailed little girl waving on the front porch "to soften the atmosphere of the place", according to the manager.

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/ ... lation.htm

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=19076

Two websites and an statement that overpopulation is a "myth" is not an argument.

There may be underpopulation in Japan but this is largely due to immigration policies as much as anything else.

Who mentioned forced abortions and forced sterilisations?

Abortions and sterilisations are both options for people and should be options in any civilised country in the world.

Are you seriously suggesting that countries like India, China, Bangladesh, Brazil and Indonesia are underpopulated? Why are they so poor compared to Western countries then?

Why have fossil fuel emissions risen so drastically if the world is not overpopulated?

How could six billion large mammals not be considered overpopulation?

I would appreciate any cogent argument against my idea of overpopulation but regurgitating arguments from websites is not a cogent argument.

Why is there anything wrong with posting some websites that support my statement? (I posted 4 not 2 just as a side note)

Abortions and forced sterilizations are mentioned in the websites I posted regarding population, and are very UNcivilized ways of "population control" and have been used in the past to try to get rid of minority groups and people with disabilities in particular. Just look up the history on Margaret Sanger founder of Planned Parenthood. It is not hard to find, and widely known.

There is more than enough wealth/food/land for everyone but it has been relegated to the super rich for the most part. . .and abortion/birth control/forced sterilization won't stop that.

We don't treat the earth very well and we are very irresponible that says a lot for the state of pollution and what-not.

Overpopulation is not your idea really. . .it is also regurgitated from whereever you picked it up from, and there is nothing wrong with that. Most ideas I really don't think are original in and of themselves. I put links to websites because they show another view for people who are open-minded to looking into it. You really don't have to go to the links. . .but it might challenge your way of thinking. That's not so bad now is it? ;)

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:12 pm

I read the information on those websites and I found it very implausible and frankly illogical.

I have clearly stated why I think that overpopulation is a problem. This is my opinion from my experiences in my own country and in South Korea especially.

I never mentioned anyone being forced to do anything. I don't advocate coercion. If people want to have dozens of children, they should be free to do so. However I think this is stupid and irresponsible and those that do want this should be educated about the dangers posed by saturating the planet with more of our species. The costs of adequately feeding and educating a child should be enough to dissuade most people from having more than two children.

People should have the choice to use contraceptive, abortion or sterilisation. They should not be forced to do this.

I do not care if some people do advocate this, I don't. It does not invalidate the basic argument either even if I did advocate forced contraception, sterilistion or abortion.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:33 pm

Beyonder wrote:
Overpopulation to me suggest a crappier world. More competition for just about everything. i.e. jobs.

Consumption of resources. i.e. more ppl=more automobiles=more gas=higher oil prices.

suffice to say . . . life's gonna git harder fer just about everyone. More so for ppl with disabilities.

All quite depressing really . . . now where's my bottle of whiskey . . .

And a bottle of rum. Makes me wish I twere a pirate without the worries of cars, jobs, or the price of anything when it's all there waiting to be conquered. Image

...Oh wait we've already done that... :oops:

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:40 pm

ohhh can I be you first mate :P

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:45 pm

Sure step on aboard and we'll aim for the Persian Gulf, that's where I think the buried treasure is. :money:

Last edited by MissConstrue on 19 Aug 2008, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:46 pm

sweet :P

whats our theme :)

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:47 pm

not once i put my plan into effect

Kilroy