Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jk55092
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2005, 12:49 pm

There’s an interesting news story about Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito at the following website. Some excerpts follow. The newspaper called him a nerd - he sounds a lot like an Aspie to me.

Jeffrey

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyNCZmZ2JlbDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5NjgwNzcyNyZ5cmlyeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTQ=

Quote:
Alito, bespectacled, hair askew, suit rumpled and ill-fitting, walked into Sen. Tim Johnson's office this week to pay a courtesy call on the South Dakota Democrat. Sitting in an armchair in the senator's office, Alito forgot to unbutton his suit jacket, causing his tie to stick out and his jacket to bunch up. The judge's trouser leg hiked up as he sat, revealing an untied shoelace

"Ever been to South Dakota?" Johnson asked.

"No," Alito replied, adding quickly, "but I've always wanted to."

At Yale Law School, he was the wonk whose notes other students borrowed. "Quiet," "shy" and "reserved" are the words that law school friend Dennis Grzezinski provided to The Washington Post's Laura Blumenfeld. When it came to the party scene, "Sam could well have been the designated driver."

In recent years, Alito insisted on wearing a baseball uniform while coaching Little League. As an appellate judge, he hung in his chambers a large poster of former Philadelphia Phillies star Mike Schmidt. He went to baseball fantasy camp and had a baseball card made of himself.

Alito has the disadvantage of following John Roberts, who was just as smart but carried himself like a big man on campus: athletic build, quick humor and good looks. Compared with Roberts, Alito looks as if he were in town for a "Star Trek" convention.

In the office of Sen. Mike DeWine, R-Ohio, when cameras and microphones got too close, the nominee pushed himself deeper into his seat. Leaving a meeting with Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Neb., Alito reached to shake the senator's hand then quickly pulled it back when sensing that Nelson was not ready. Greeting Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., Alito stood in the reception room clasping and unclasping his hands, then rubbing his right index finger.

Leaving the office of Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., on Wednesday, Alito caught his foot in carpeting and briefly stumbled while getting in the elevator.

When he walks between visits, Alito arches his back and stretches his neck. His arms swing from too-short sleeves, which expose his wrists. Wearing a fixed grin, he bobs his head to right and left so frequently that reporters following him have dubbed him a "Bobblehead."

The nominee walks in almost complete silence between stops, unrecognized by passing tourists, rarely conversing even with his White House handlers as they wait for elevators. His public words are perfunctory.

"Very good meeting," he said, leaving Johnson's office.

"Can you stop and talk to us?" a TV producer called out.

Alito looked stricken. "No," he said. "But it was a very good meeting."

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2005, 2:44 pm

My mom's an attorney, and my dad's company does a lot of work for attorneys. I know a couple who are diagnosed with AS, and a bunch that should be.

I find that many of the really brilliant attorneys, the ones that end up as professors or judges, are Aspie-ish. They love knowing all the rules. :) They don't become big corporate attorneys or criminal attorneys because there's so much emotion and gladhanding involved. They just want to know the rules, and they have no time for nonsense.

Alito may very well be on our team. He sounds like it. Wouldn't that be cool?

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2005, 8:55 pm

Interesting point.

I should make another one.

The machine gun issue:
What neurotypical person would do something against all of the unwritten conventions, simply because they see it as right, and not realize that they've done anything wrong by these invisible standards?

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2005, 1:36 am

I'm unfamiliar with the machine gun issue. What is that?

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2005, 8:04 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Rybar
My Con Law teacher claims that this is well out of bounds for an appeals court.

He says that:
A. It's well out of general consensus here.
B. He ignored the unwritten rules of his job (overstepped his bounds as an appeals Justice).

Sounds pretty Aspie to me, if we make legal reading to social reading.

Since my Con Law teacher is far less rigidly autocratic than the Likes of Stevens, Kennedy, and certain Con Law professors I've met, it's likely true.

Seems like a reasonable position to me, but my Constitutional philosophy (litteralism) is certainly well out of whack with the "mainstream" evolving standards and originalist camps (hey nobody wants to read what the document actually says that would spoil all the fun), so I'm not in a good place to judge that.

Edit: link fixed

"The difference between genius and idiocy is that genius has limits." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by Quintucket on 13 Nov 2005, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 10:37 pm

GroovyDruid wrote:
My mom's an attorney, and my dad's company does a lot of work for attorneys. I know a couple who are diagnosed with AS, and a bunch that should be.

I find that many of the really brilliant attorneys, the ones that end up as professors or judges, are Aspie-ish. They love knowing all the rules. :) They don't become big corporate attorneys or criminal attorneys because there's so much emotion and gladhanding involved. They just want to know the rules, and they have no time for nonsense.

Alito may very well be on our team. He sounds like it. Wouldn't that be cool?

Except that he's awfully conservative.