Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2008, 8:57 pm

Just curious because I'm conservative but in general do have a “foul mouth" but in allhonesty i have aconcept of Time and placenddont swear every otehr sentence also in general in spite of being a conservative I refuse to buy the premise of a grown adult being offended by a word I find in immature and depending on how much a person believes in the notion weak minded.

Another reason I’m curious is because supposedly conservatives “Believe in in word policing” as I’ve heard it once said with that in mind how many who consider themselves conservatives on this site find the idea of “Bad words” in a conversation between adults absurd.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:03 pm

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!?!?!?!?

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2008, 9:09 pm

leave it to the parents keep government out of it. I know you were joking but just thought I'd respond anyways.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:12 pm

Two words: Richard Nixon

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:21 pm

loudmouth wrote:
leave it to the parents keep government out of it. I know you were joking but just thought I'd respond anyways.

yeah but sadly most parents think it should be illegal for them to have to explain anything that may make them (the parents, not the kids) blush or be embarrassed.

but i think that's for obscenity in general. for example, i don't think janet jackson's tit hurt one child...but i guarantee you it made a number of parents blush.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:45 pm

skafather84 wrote:
loudmouth wrote:

yeah but sadly most parents think it should be illegal for them to have to explain anything that may make them (the parents, not the kids) blush or be embarrassed.

but i think that's for obscenity in general. for example, i don't think janet jackson's tit hurt one child...but i guarantee you it made a number of parents blush.

Hmmm, I wonder how would be their views about sexual education to small children, would it be taboo for them or not neccesarily?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:57 pm

greenblue wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
loudmouth wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder how would be their views about sexual education to small children, would it be taboo for them or not neccesarily?

well in catholic school, i had to get my parents to sign a consent form when it came to sex ed in the 7th grade so apparently 11 is young enough to piss off some parents with talking about sex.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 11:02 pm

greenblue wrote:

My parents provided me with the mechanical level of sex ed when i was 5... becuase I never believed them with the whole "stork" BS...

then i saw a discovery channel documentary on the subject when i was 7...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 11:05 pm

This is why I am convinced that anyone who watches South Park is liberal.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 11:37 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Could I get more of a complete thought on this?

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 11:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

f**k liberals
f**k conservatives

Judith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2008, 1:22 am

It's my husband's and my responsibility to teach our daughter the proper use of language for a young lady. Meanwhile, I was in the Navy and know how to curse like a sailor in seven different languages. I also choose not to do so, particularly in front of my child. Because the people in control of the media simply cannot mentally grasp the idea that not everyone is entertained by the extreme gratuitious use of every possible four-letter-word that they can cram into every movie and TV show, we don't have cable, and we preview movies after they come out in video before we let her see them.

It isn't just the language, thoguh. She's 4 and has a hyperactive imagination. Stupid of me to let her watch a slightly scary video with her cousin back in April. I've still to get her to sleep the night in her own bed. I hate to think what would happen if I let her watch something violent!

But, back to language. I used to teach K-12, all subjects. (Boy, was that school SMALL!) When my students would use a "verboten" word, I would explain to them that foul language was for people who could not use their native language adequately. Then I'd have them define the word--usually they couldn't--and use an appropriate acceptable substitute. The definitions got them. Not knowing the meaning of what they'd said, especially for the ones in the high school grades, embarrassed the life out of them. It was a fairly effective way of cleaning up the language in class. Mostly because the "teacher shock" factor was null.

As for the conservative vs. liberal question on the thread, I'm neither, really. I have some conservative views and some liberal ones, but I'm mostly centrist.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 5:15 am

Perhaps it's because I haven't known a huge number of conservatives (living in California and Massachusetts tends to make that the case), but I've found that many liberals I've known are FAR more easily appalled by bad language than the conservatives I've known. For instance, most if not all of the parents I've known who wouldn't let my friends watch certain things because of naughty words were ex-hippies, extremely left wing. And then there's the whole political correctness issue, which makes even more things taboo.... :roll:

I myself am generally pretty liberal. I just hate the notion which, unfortunately, many other left-wingers subscribe to, that if something might offend anyone, it shouldn't be said.

Unbeliever
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2008, 6:15 am

BokeKaeru wrote:
I just hate the notion which... that if something might offend anyone, it shouldn't be said.

Aye, apparently we must go out of our way to appease those that choose to feel offended.

I hate the taboo of swear words. Because of the school I was in I started saying swear words in normal speech without really thinking about it, and, quite frankly, I don't really care. It pisses me off when I'm talking to my father about some deep and stimulating topic, and he stops me in the middle of what I'm saying just to point out that I said a small swear word and that I shouldn't have.
My god, I wanted to slap him...

I even remember when I was younger, I asked at the dinner table if the F word would be the same if you removed the c or the k (since they both make the same sound in the word). I got sent to my room... I didn't even say the actual word... 8O

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 10:17 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
greenblue wrote:

My parents provided me with the mechanical level of sex ed when i was 5... becuase I never believed them with the whole "stork" BS...

then i saw a discovery channel documentary on the subject when i was 7...

If they do, don't they know that that can become somehow dangerous, not to mention that things like that could increase morbid thinking, to hide children the truth (ironic isn't it? if they claim the truth) but what else can you expect from right-wingers ;)

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 10:28 am

Now, this bad language issue, I believe it is wider than saying just conservatives, I for one, I'm not so fond of swearing, I don't mind people doing it, but I don't feel that well, doing that myself, it's like showing a part of me that it's not me, and when it comes to children, well, I think is kinda obvious why would be an issue, in which, when would it be appropriate and when would it not? not to mention the abuse of it, besides, if you swear too much you might not be taken seriously I think.