Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissIntelligent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2008, 6:16 pm

I am interested in becomming ( mor at least knowing how) to become a moderator for this site.

Anyone know how I can get involved? And what are their duties?

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:21 pm

u should ask this about mods/alex

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:02 pm

Message the staff.

You are new here so I doubt that they'd make you a moderator right away. If you're a member for at least 3 or 4 months and show that you're an orderly and stable person, they will make you mod I'm sure. I'm a moderator and administrator on 4 different sites (non-AS though) so I have confidence that you could eventually become one as long as you stay well-behaved.

Remember this: A site will never make a person an administrator/mod until they know the person and can trust them. If they were to make you a mod right away it would be way too risky on their behalf.

14 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

Oh yeah on here, asking to be a mod or even volunteering to be one, will definitely not make you be one. Tells Alex you are incapable of being one which I find inane because it doesn't make sense. :roll:

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 8:16 pm

I don't think 'stability' is a requirement here.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

Were you another member before?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 8:54 pm

How to become a mod, well its not something you ask for out of the blue, its also not given for brown nosing.

Last edited by spudnik on 15 Aug 2008, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 9:15 pm

Been a moderator on one soccer forum, and administrator of my own political forum (which I later cancelled as far-right members ruined the forum with racist outings on constant basis)

In the end, you get moderator if you have been involved long enough and posted on frequent basis, been online very often, and reached a respectable number of posts that actually added value to the forum (= no spam posts or short posts, but reaching a fair number of posts while actually only posting valuable posts)

In the end it is the decision of the admins and usually they will put announcements when extra staff is needed. At least that is how many forums do it, at my own political forum as well we would not consider spontaneous applications but posted a vacancy whenever an extra moderator was considered necessary.

May I add: think well before you start. Moderating means you are expected to be online frequently, it can be a duty that takes several hours a week. On my political forum and the soccer forum where I was moderator, I spent about 2 to sometimes 3 hours a day. It can be a lot of work to read throughout all posts, you cannot skip a lot of topics because the mods have to keep an eye on a discussion even if the topics is not interesting to them.

So it is great if people show determination, but consider this well before just applying.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 9:47 pm

I don't think any of that applies here.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:54 am

Asking to be a mod won't help, Alex must be able to trust those who are chosen.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 9:05 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Oh yeah on here, asking to be a mod or even volunteering to be one, will definitely not make you be one. Tells Alex you are incapable of being one which I find inane because it doesn't make sense. :roll:

exactly. I started a thread a while back suggesting to be one, to see what would happen, and it cause all the actual mods to have a little temper tantrum

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Aug 2008, 9:19 am

When someone asks to be a mod I have to wonder why they want to be a mod because all the mods (including me, and I don't actively mod) don't see modding as something enjoyable. The members I want to be mods usually need to be prodded before they accept the responsibility and sometimes they still won't accept a moderator position because it changes how you're treated by members of the site.

i understand that you really want to help the site and that's great but we choose mods based on a variety of factors that you can't control (like time zones, online personality, etc).

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 9:22 am

alex wrote:
When someone asks to be a mod I have to wonder why they want to be a mod because all the mods (including me, and I don't actively mod) don't see modding as something enjoyable. The members I want to be mods usually need to be prodded before they accept the responsibility and sometimes they still won't accept a moderator position because it changes how you're treated by members of the site.

i understand that you really want to help the site and that's great but we choose mods based on a variety of factors that you can't control (like time zones, online personality, etc).

see, thats how the other guys should've explained. Manners go a long way in this world.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 10:10 am

Am a mod on other sites but have never asked to be one,
someone has contacted me and asked if i was interested.
Do that myself also, it makes sense when picking mods, the
good mods are often not very interested in being mods to start
with. Those who really want to be one bad, can get to eager or
something maybe. But guess this varies alot from site to site,
how they get picked.

Edit: never mind, didnt read the post above until
after i posted, bad habbit

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 10:17 am

benjimanbreeg wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

exactly. I started a thread a while back suggesting to be one, to see what would happen, and it cause all the actual mods to have a little temper tantrum
:lol: that would be fun thing to try

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 11:26 am

lol, don't they'll throw their toys out the pram again