when someone says something to you in passing

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2008, 11:26 am

soo..when someone asks "how are you" when passing in the halls at work (or elsewhere) ...you're supposed to answer..and then ask the same of them, right?

I was walking back to my office and a man asked me..."how are you" ...I said..."fine and how about you?" ...albeit awkwardly so.

he just kept walking..said nothing.

now I'd rather have said nothing....I'd rather he not have even asked me b/c then I wouldn't have to wonder why..??

maybe it's just instinct to ask, but not to answer? maybe he was wondering how I got a job in the same building as him? maybe........?

:duh: :shrug: :huh:

opinions? others' experiences like this? ...this happens all the time to me...and it takes a lot for me to say anything back to people in this sort of situation...I don't like to. I'd rather ignore them....but most of the time I don't...maybe I should?

^s^

:bounce:

Sir_Beefy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2008, 11:28 am

This may sound strange, but that's exactly how it's supposed to go. It took me a couple tries to figure that out, I know what you are thinking cause I've been there the first few times. So don't worry about it.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:37 am

I have an English friend, and he says in England the whole greeting is "how do you do?" which is answered "how do you do?" and that's IT!

I usually clench my face in my grimace that passes for a smile while I look them right on the bridge of their nose and say "fine, and you?" expecting nothing more. It works for them and I am off the hook. Good luck

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2008, 12:48 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
I have an English friend, and he says in England the whole greeting is "how do you do?" which is answered "how do you do?" and that's IT!

I usually clench my face in my grimace that passes for a smile while I look them right on the bridge of their nose and say "fine, and you?" expecting nothing more. It works for them and I am off the hook. Good luck

:lol: ..ok..I kinda suspected as much (what both of you said) to be true.

it's just kinda weird I guess :!:

:bounce:

Brunny
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2008, 1:02 pm

Heh, your English friend is probably in a posh school or something. No-one says "how do you do" any more :)

But yeah, we sometimes say "how are you?" or just "alright?" or "alright mate?" and it's normally just a way of saying hello, you don't always have to tell them how you are, you can just reply with the same "question".

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2008, 3:39 pm

Yeah, this kind of thing has always bothered me. I always feel like I have to answer... like when someone says "what's up?" just as a walkby greeting I always say either "the lights" or "the sky" or something like that. People who don't know me give me a wierd look, chuckle and go on their way. Those who know me just roll their eyes and smile. Then there is the wonderful "how ya doin?" which I just answer "k, you?".

I know the real answer to all of these questions is supposed to be just a "hey" or "sup?" or the like... but I can never answer in that way. *Sigh* ah well.

aaronrey
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2008, 8:15 pm

"how do you do?" sounds so much cooler than "how are you?"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 9:55 pm

I do the usual "Hello, how are you" thing, and if I have anything interesting to say, I let that person know.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm

Missed one there "You alright?"

My response are the same across the board "Yeah, good, you?" "Hello. And how are you?"

I do have a habit of a polite way of responding to someone I haven't a clue what they have said - A simple "Hello?" I usually have to tell them I say this as it's polite and a good way of acknowledging the person - NOT what they have said or asked. It does work. Only works when you are talking to people around you and not on conversations on the phone or elsewhere

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 12:43 am

Brunny wrote:
Heh, your English friend is probably in a posh school or something. No-one says "how do you do" any more :)
".

my English friend has been out of school for 40 years. He just knows posh people is all.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 12:52 am

sinsboldly wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Brunny wrote:
".

my English friend has been out of school for 40 years. He just hangs with posh people is all.

TutuFairy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:32 pm

Usually, if they are walking by at a fast pace and ask you could just say "Good, thank you", but if they aren't walking very fast and you have time or they hesitate, then you say "Good, how are you". I think...

-Me and Schuyler

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:43 am

If it's someone I don't feel like talking to at that moment, I just raise my eyebrow for a fraction of a second in acknowledgement. If he/she doesn't seem to walk by as fast as I need, I raise my hand and wave a little. This gesture is quite useful, as it serves both as a recognition of greeeting (hi, yes, I did see you) and as a non-verbal way of waiving his/her presence (yes, I saw you, now go away).

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 10:01 am

It depends on what you want from that particular relationship. With some people, it's just an acknowledgment of your existence and neither of you really wants anything more.

With some people, it's an opportunity for a little something that will contribute to a future opportunity for a little more.

Some people develop their own signature replies to the usual "how are you," like
"Not bad for an old fart." or
"I can't complain -- mainly because no one would listen." or
"Oh, the usual..." (fill-in-the-blank for your situation, something along the lines that the boss is a jerk or that this place is terrible or whatever doom-and-gloom complaint everyone makes.)

Then you both smile at the little joke and walk away.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:34 pm

Ahaha!

same thing has happened to me.. they go HEy shawn hows it goin!.. and keep on walking.. :scratch:

QuantumToast
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Aug 2008, 2:20 pm

aaronrey wrote:
"how do you do?" sounds so much cooler than "how are you?"
Not over here it doesn't...

Most people I know are content with mutual "hey"s.