Page 4 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:21 pm

nettiespaghetti wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
nettiespaghetti wrote:
I do understand, it's very difficult when people say something ignorant and not get angry with them. My hairdresser a few weeks ago started telling me how Laura Ingalls Wilder's (Little House on the prairie....) father in real life was nothing like the tv show and was actually really mean (etc.)

I'm not quite sure why you were so angry.
From an impartial, external perspective, it simply looks to me, as though she's done what you have in reading the books - but has the added benefit of having met the man himself.
How does that make the hairdresser ignorant ?
Surely she was just expressing her impressions of the man she met.

She had never read the books. She said someone told her that. She had done no research. I was angry because by reading the books and doing the research over the course of several years I feel close to that family and she was slandering one of them, imo. Based on no research done by herself whatsoever. Laura talked about her father in a very loving way, like I said, so obviously he was not abusive towards her in any way shape or form according to what she wrote.
And this family lived during the 1800's. So the hairdresser didn't meet him. Like I said, she hadn't even read the books or anything. She just said that someone told her that and I can't believe she would go around repeating a bunch of crap someone else told her that she knew nothing about, when it has to do with something as negative about a human being as what she was saying.

I had a hair dresser once tell me that "everyone can lose weight, honey! you never saw any fat people in a concentration camp!" I said "because they had already DIED!" and he refused to finish wrapping my perm! Honestly. . .it took me about 3 minutes ripping the curlers he had already done out of my hair and getting out of there! (and he had the gall to run down the street behind me schreeching about me owing for the whole in his appointment calendar.

23 Aug 2008, 11:47 pm

Well technically anyone can lose weight but you have to stop eating to do it which is very unhealthy for your body and leaves damage to it. The reason why the Jews were skeletons at those camps were because they were fed a small loaf of bread once a day and that was their meal. They were practically starved to death. I am sure there were fat ones but they got skinny as time went by because they were starved to death. I am even sure the surviving ones had damage left to their body such heart problems or unable to have kids.

One of my high school teachers knew someone in college who suffered from anorexia and it damaged her ovary system and she was unable to have kids. That's what she told us about her when she was talking about eating disorders.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:54 pm

yeah, as clearly seen I don't have a tolerance for idiot people (or people who think they are always right, or who think they're opinion matters more then anyone elses)
I get annoyed alot
thankfully all the friends I have left are good natured people

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 12:01 am

Well dont call anyone an idiot just because they are not as smart as you, it can be insulting as many people do not have the ability to be incredibly smart, but ignorance has more to do with aditude. People also should be careful not to tell someone what they belive to be true like weight loss if they have no idea, a lot of it is to do with genetics.

24 Aug 2008, 12:17 am

I think someone as an idiot if they think their opinion is right instead of an opinion. I hate those kind of people. Also people who have idiotic beliefs like there should be no such thing as money and everything should be free. Don't they realize what would happen if everything were free here? If a child thought that, I would not think they are stupid, especially a teen but an adult, oh yeah because they should know better. But if they were mentally ret*d or borderline, then no.
Oh yeah and another stupid thing; on another forum someone was looking for Angelica's Birthday. Some people said it was on youtube but it got removed. This one person kept asking for the link to be posted to it after they had said it wasn't there anymore. I explained to him once a video has been removed, the link doesn't exist anymore, there is no way you can get it unless it has been posted on a forum. But it will say "video has been removed." He replied back saying it is never too late to post a link you just make up your own link and he posted one as an example. www.youtube.com/videonolongeravailable. I thought that was so stupid because it didn't make any sense to do it. I think next time someone asks for a video and if it's no longer avaliable, I am going to post, www.youtube.com/videonolongeravailableb ... tjakswants.

See, poking fun at him. That is what I like to do to idiots.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 12:21 am

it is rather dumb people have to pay to live
we need to pay to simply live
and people who can't, die
these people in Africa starve to death every day, and a few ass holes decide we need wind energy
its a matter of simply looking at the world
money is a way to control people
control you!
that's all, its not a reward for working
you work to live, and live to work-and what happens when you can't work?
your thrown aside like nothing
no one cares about people anymore-just themselves
its sad really, and the people who are saying they are made to care (religion, political crap etc) are the ones who divide and separate the most

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 12:28 am

Well I value someone beyond what they do, often I value them on how much I enjoy being around them and I would say that many people are worth a lot here. I belive what is life without some fun, and that fun within reason is what I live for, but many people have the idea that the purpose of life is progress and being selfish always takes over. Of course what was mentioned before one of my idea of ignorance is the inability to accept that there belifes are right.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 1:08 am

I've always worked throughout my life, but it has been very hard because of not fitting in with my co-workers. They will gang up on you and try to make you quit or get fired if they decide they do not like you.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 1:16 am

thyme wrote:
I've always worked throughout my life, but it has been very hard because of not fitting in with my co-workers. They will gang up on you and try to make you quit or get fired if they decide they do not like you.

That sounds terrible, I gues that is the workplace bullying that I have heard of.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 1:27 am

Bradleigh wrote:
thyme wrote:

That sounds terrible, I gues that is the workplace bullying that I have heard of.

don't think they just bully the wierd or odd. The supervisors and management don't want to mess with a work bully, either.
I have found the website http://www.kickbully.com/main.html to be very helpful

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 2:12 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
thyme wrote:

don't think they just bully the wierd or odd. The supervisors and management don't want to mess with a work bully, either.

Fighting back is a problem as chances are you will lose, because no one will want to take your side and will side with the top dog or hen.
Most of those bullying sites will say you should just quit and find a "better'' job as it is not worth the toll on your mental and physical health to stay and fight.
But then you have to start out as the new person on a new job and with no guarantee the same won't happen there. So you have to make the best of it as no matter where you end up, you'll always be the odd person out.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 2:49 am

thyme wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
thyme wrote:

Fighting back is a problem as chances are you will lose, because no one will want to take your side and will side with the top dog or hen.
Most of those bullying sites will say you should just quit and find a "better'' job as it is not worth the toll on your mental and physical health to stay and fight.
But then you have to start out as the new person on a new job and with no guarantee the same won't happen there. So you have to make the best of it as no matter where you end up, you'll always be the odd person out.

Not true.
You'll usually find that if you hate someone (esp. a bully), most other people do too but don't want to challenge them for the same reasons as you.
If the bully is getting in the way of you doing your job, you'll have to work around them until your work-arounds are challenged by your boss.
At least then, you won't be labelled as a trouble-maker and the sh*t will come down on the bully rather than you.
If the boss sees that you're investing effort in the extra work-arounds required to actually do your job - while the bully is investing effort in stopping you doing your job, he won't need to make a decision as to who to penalise.
That is, unless the boss is a bully aswell - in which case, your only option is to put it in writing and deliver the letter to his boss - with detailed records of what's been occurring and when.
The higher up the command chain you go, the less likely you are to encounter bullies.
And who knows, your boss's boss may be looking for an opportunity to kick him in the nuts anyway.
If things get really bad with the bullying colleague, take a day off and when challenged by your boss about the reason for it, tell them it's due to stomach cramps induced by the stress caused you by the bully.
The boss will then be forced to address the situation, since the stress caused you makes it clear that YOU'RE the victim.
The threat of disciplinary action usually brings folk to their senses, however much of a bully they may be.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 4:33 am

thyme wrote:

Yes they do, though in some instances its been a relief not to have to continue to work with someone sat behind you smelling of cigarette smoke and gossiping on the phone for most of the time. Ugh.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 2:53 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
corroonb wrote:
Not trying to understand something is laughable.

Except that I'm not laughing. Sometimes I want to tear my hair.

And stop throwing around the work "intelligent." That's not the main issue. The issue is that the average person is dangerously insane, and mad at you for not sharing his specific form of insanity.

Well I agree with corroonb that the average person is intensely irritating and frankly stupid. However as I tend to alternate between being a moron and being a genius, it's like the pot calling the kettle black. I think I have a very mild form of idiot savantism. I can usually cope and if my life depends on it, I can go to a lot of effort to appear normal. Usually successfully but my life has to depend on it in order for me to be motivated to go through the extra effort watching my clothes, my makeup and especially keeping my mouth shut when it's necessary. I tend to look a little bizarre in my choice of clothing and lack of makeup as that is what makes me more comfortable. But if my life depends on it I know how to look conservative and more or less behave myself.

When I was homeless I learned the fine art of keeping a low profile, a skill which cannot be praised enough. Autistic children ought to be taught in kindergarten this very useful talent as their lives may well depend on it. They will be miserable if they don't know how to do it. It's one of the most important skills they will ever acquire. Most of us end up learning the hard way after years of agonized and messed up social relations.

Many people want to walk away from me so if I find them unbearably boring and irritating I'm sure the feeling is mutual. They probably also think I'm an idiot. My friends tell me I'm very smart, notwithstanding these same people will tell me I'm being deliberately dense and am incapable of simply dropping a topic when it's finished. Yeah I have trouble telling when the conversation is done. Mostly I don't like to contribute at all but when I do I overdo it. Motor mouth.

I definitely agree that most people are dangerously insane like you said Tahitiii but the way they do it is very interesting. They're somehow able to take advantage of the herd instinct and running with the pack when it suits them. And when it doesn't suit them they simply opt out without feeling neglected abandoned or betrayed. It's totally ok and legal if your insanity has the rubber stamp of approval in that you're capable of being a deceptively responsible person ...which basically boils down to the fact that your income puts you above the poverty level and you don't live with your parents. Like you posted in another thread Tahitii, if rational selfishness is something you can do then you'll probably fit in just fine.

I happen to believe that society condones and makes it perfectly acceptable to be a psychopath, sociopath or narcissist. Just as long as you continue to make enough money, are mostly law abiding and know when to keep your mouth shut.
In a sense they are society's role models because they prove themselves extremely competent at deception and fitting in. And many of them have a good sense of humor to boot. It never hurts to have a well developed sense of humor if you want to appear normal. I wonder if schools have seriously made an attempt to teach auties/aspies to have a sense of humor. It would undoubtedly help though obviously not a cure. I'm in favor of anything which would safely help us and not in favor of 95% of the drugs that are currently being used in an attempt to "help" us. Really? Or are most prescription drugs a form of social control?

What society tends to frown upon is social deviancy which clogs up the gears of progress. If you don't fit in, at least have the decency to back away from the gears. And if you don't have the initiative to back away of your own volition, you will probably get shoved to the side.

I think I may have veered off from the topic. Sorry. I find it difficult to stay on topic.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 2:56 pm

Anger makes me stronger, I feed on rage.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 6:36 pm

I'm starting a new, temp-to-perm gig tomorrow morning, so I'm cramming, as though for an exam. I'll be ready this time.

alba wrote:
When I was homeless I learned the fine art of keeping a low profile, a skill which cannot be praised enough. Autistic children ought to be taught in kindergarten this very useful talent as their lives may well depend on it...
It never hurts to have a well developed sense of humor if you want to appear normal. I wonder if schools have seriously made an attempt to teach auties/aspies to have a sense of humor...
Check. I've done that low profile thing, and it helps somewhat. Humor, too.

sinsboldly wrote:
The supervisors and management don't want to mess with a work bully, either. I have found the website http://www.kickbully.com/main.html to be very helpful
Check. This link spells out the main part I've been missing all these years. I've seen all those tricks, and always had trouble believing they could be completely unconscious. My instincts were right all along, and the bastard is fully conscious and knows what he is doing. No need to pretend any more.

MemberSix wrote:
You'll usually find that if you hate someone (esp. a bully), most other people do too but don't want to challenge them for the same reasons as you. If the bully is getting in the way of you doing your job, you'll have to work around them until your work-arounds are challenged by your boss.
Check. I'm ready to believe that.

Eggman wrote:
Anger makes me stronger, I feed on rage.
That, too. I can't maintain it, but I can summon it if necessary.

alba wrote:
I think I may have veered off from the topic. Sorry. I find it difficult to stay on topic.
Not at all. The powers-that-be are the ones who are overly distractable, focusing on petty nonsense. Please feel free to rant about something that matters.