Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 8:54 am

One of the things I hated about the last generation gaming consoles were the controllers. If I am not mistaken their are 10 buttons on the PS2 controller its just so confusing for me at least I want to be able to pick the controller up and play not memorize combos, or get an instruction manuel to find where a specific button is (I am talking about L3 and R3). I hated the PS2 and Xbox controllers also because they were uncomfortable I know the gamecube controller looked funny but it was like it was made for my hands like the N64 controller.

Do you think companies like Sony and Microsoft will ever take a page out of Nintendo's book and simplify things and make their controllers more comfortable.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 9:14 am

Yeah but if the button count was lowerd then a lot of games would not work like I would hate to see what halo wold be like if there was a smaler amount of buttons. It might be hard with some but I personaly like the fact of trying to learn buttons because I have a distinct ability to pick them up. Dont say that should be left to computers as I personaly am terrible at actual computer games.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 10:34 pm

I like PS2 controller. I think it's the most versatil controller.

I bought an adapter that lets me play with PS2 controllers on Gamecube/Wii (also works with XBOX).

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 10:47 pm

For me the Wii has been a blessing I can't use two analog sticks to play FPS but with the Wii controller I am a pro ^_^ For me Nintendo make the right choice less button more innovation the other controllers are in the dark ages.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 11:58 pm

Yeah but the lack of butons mean that you have less quick choice, like with halo you have a fire triger and a buton above to reload, a left trigger that throws grenade or left hand weapon, and a button above that reloads or changes grenade. then you have B buton to melee, A to jump, Y to change weapon and X to change or activate tool, start menu and two anologue sticks one for moving and another to look. And then a D-pad which can be used to talk tpo teammates with your headphone. See for some games they are needed, as often these kind of complex controls can be a fun to learn, also you dont have to wave your controler all over the place, you can just be lazy. But I have noticed my sister and mum do have a problem with so many buttons, I guess it depends on the person.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 12:14 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
Do you think companies like Sony and Microsoft will ever take a page out of Nintendo's book

Dear God, I hope not.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 1:27 am

Keyboard and mouse are king of the controllers, apart from the select few 8)

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 1:41 am

twoshots wrote:
philosopherBoi wrote:
Do you think companies like Sony and Microsoft will ever take a page out of Nintendo's book

Dear God, I hope not.

Oh what's the problem you don't like simplicity and innovation or do you not like change??

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 5:52 am

I dont think the market is ready for an entore change, lots of people still like this way, personaly holding a X360 controler in my hands is gameing to me. I play SSB Brawl with my siblings and when we all play one of us has to use a Wiimote amd I find it a lot easier using the gamecube, though I gues when I used the Wiimote it leveled the playing field a bit.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

I hate trying to control FPS on consoles these days. Trying to strafe using the right analogue stick is the most awkward thing ever, especially if you try to press other buttons at the same time. IMO, aside from the poor stick construction, N64 was the best controller for console FPS, especially when using a Goldeneye 1.2 configuration (or "Turok controls", as my friends call them).

Dreamcast came pretty close, but the face buttons were a tad bit too far apart, and UT's button mapping wasn't nearly configurable enough (making secondary firing an inconvenient hassle).

Of course, nothing beats keyboard and mouse, but sometimes you just need that sitting-next-to-each-other split-screen action.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 3:15 pm

I have been hankering to get my hands on one of these again:

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 3:40 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
twoshots wrote:
philosopherBoi wrote:

Dear God, I hope not.

Oh what's the problem you don't like simplicity and innovation or do you not like change??

I play games not controllers.

The dual shock is an excellent design, and aside from ergonomic issues the Xbox controller was pretty good in principle (although it always seemed to me a rehash of the basic plan for the Saturn 3D controller, not that I'm objecting).

Nintendo are just gimmicky. Despite their out there ideas they haven't had anything that has caught on since the SNES introduced shoulder buttons; they've just been weird. And god help us all if the Wii's controller catches on :cry:

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 6:24 pm

I am the controller, you are the controlled.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 10:56 pm

Well one of the problems I had with the wii controler was that with one hand it can be hard to reach some of the buttons. I love fps controls in the double stick controls. I am quite a master at using both of them, so I can run the direction I want and shoot where in the diection I want, one of my favirout things is in Halo 3 online there are a bunch of people in a team match and I just start weeding in and out on a rampage, I feel like a god compared to others when it is like I seem to do so well. the good thing about the controler is that all buttons can be reached without having to move the hand too much and then it is an art to press the buttons at the right time.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 12:15 am

SamuraiSaxen wrote:
I like PS2 controller. I think it's the most versatil controller.

I bought an adapter that lets me play with PS2 controllers on Gamecube/Wii (also works with XBOX).

If you want versatile, look no further:

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 12:47 am

Since I first picked up the PS1 controller, I was in heaven. In my opinion Sony has made the perfect controller for the hand. And I'm glad they haven't made any changes to the design for the PS2 and PS3 controllers. I hope they never do, I don't see how they could really improve it.

Though I am looking forward to the day when my brain is the controller and I no longer have to rely on hand-eye coordination.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History