Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:09 pm

corroonb wrote:
My favourite ever controller is the 360 one. Besides the shoddy D-pad, the rest is perfect.

i think that's the only design they had left. nintendo's d-pad design is proprietary and same with the PS d-pad design. it's too much like the genesis' d-pad, though...very clumsy and cumbersome.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:38 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Don't get me wrong, dualshock was a great controller (one of the few things that Sony has kept constant throughout the years), and it definitely beats out the shitbox 360 controller and that white plastic rectangular POS that Nintendo calls a controller. But as for keyboards, I still see a more versatile controller in the keyboard than in the dualshock. Also, I've broken over 5 dualshock 2's for my PS2, but am still on the same keyboard I've been using for the last 6 or so years...

I don't like you are calling "sh!t" XBOX and Wii controllers.

A keyboard is a versatile accesory, I must agree. I used to play MMORPGs and the keyboard is the best choice for this game genre. Sometimes it's frustrating trying to write text entries on my PSP when I surf the web, check my e-mail or play online. I used to play roms on emulators (NES, SNES, SMS, . . .) with a keyboard because it was the cheapest option (although I finished with cramps).

I repeat "Controllers were designed in order to play games", controllers were made to improve the game experience. But, how can I have a satisfactory game experience if I get cramps using a keyboard for long periods of time?

As twoshots said, in a movement/camera-stick control layout the best choice is a two-sticks controller. Just try to play with a keyboard Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, Robotech Invasion and other games with this control.

My current keyboard-mouse combo and the DualShock2 who came with my PS2 are almost the same age, like 6 years. I have problems with my keyboard frequently, some keys get stuck, directional keys don't respond good; and my older controller has the left analog stick covering a little sticky ('cause I accidentaly left it exposed to the sunlight :oops: ), however my two controllers work perfect. I don't get your point.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 2:02 pm

twoshots wrote:
Like Tomb Raider or the Prince of Persia series, which use the modern convention of one stick for movement and the other for controlling the camera.

Yeah, like Mario 64, except they had C-buttons back then instead of the GameCube's C-stick. Didn't Tomb Raider have awkward controls to begin with, though? Like Alone in the Dark/Resident Evil? I always thought the "left to turn left, right to turn right, up to move forward" was a little bit awkward on a gamepad, and even more awkward with an analogue stick (especially when the controls are digital anyway) :x

skafather84 wrote:
it's too much like the genesis' d-pad, though...very clumsy and cumbersome.

You haven't tried the Genesis six-button pad, then :wink: (the original Sega one, not the Majesco one with turbo features)

It's like butter.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 10:33 am

SamuraiSaxen wrote:

Okay okay i get the point. I'll take back my statement about the 360... I didn't think there were so many consolefans out there...

Quote:
I repeat "Controllers were designed in order to play games", controllers were made to improve the game experience. But, how can I have a satisfactory game experience if I get cramps using a keyboard for long periods of time?

Speak for yourself... what you call "superior" controllers are the things that give me cramps, especially in the thumbs... 90% of the action in a controller is done by the thumbs (used to be all of it before the invention of shoulder buttons), whereas in the keyboard it's more distributed across the hands... If I want to button mash, for example, I have to remove a hand from the controller and use my entire hand since it moves faster than my thumb flexing.

Quote:
As twoshots said, in a movement/camera-stick control layout the best choice is a two-sticks controller. Just try to play with a keyboard Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, Robotech Invasion and other games with this control.

And I challenge you to try to play Supreme Commander or Oblivion with said control...

Quote:
My current keyboard-mouse combo and the DualShock2 who came with my PS2 are almost the same age, like 6 years. I have problems with my keyboard frequently, some keys get stuck, directional keys don't respond good; and my older controller has the left analog stick covering a little sticky ('cause I accidentaly left it exposed to the sunlight :oops: ), however my two controllers work perfect. I don't get your point.

I'm talking about the bunch of dualshock 2's I have lying around where the analog sticks are off-center (that is, they're constantly exerting some amount of force in a given direction when you're not using them), where the d-pad no longer functions, or where the wire became so frayed near the connection point to the controller that it stopped functioning entirely. On the other hand, I don't remember ever having a keyboard break (the only reason I needed to replace is because the interface with the computer changed)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 1:09 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
... If I want to button mash, for example, I have to remove a hand from the controller and use my entire hand since it moves faster than my thumb flexing.

Not that I condone "button mashing", but for arcade style games (when you don't have an actual arcade stick handy), I find it's easier to hold the right side of the controller with your thumb, and use your fingers to press the buttons (just like on an arcade machine). Works best with NES and Genesis controllers, since the buttons are in a nice line, but sometimes you can get it to work with SNES style four-button layouts...it's just a tad bit more awkward since you have to hold your fingers in a triangle position.

Looks a little goofy, I know the first time I saw a kid doing it I was like "WTF?", but it works wonders.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 11:01 am

I love the XBox 360 controller, it seems perfetly designed for first person shooters. The PS3 controller does not even have vibration. And I just can't get used to having to move around with the Wii controller.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:19 am

ScottF wrote:
I love the XBox 360 controller, it seems perfetly designed for first person shooters. The PS3 controller does not even have vibration. And I just can't get used to having to move around with the Wii controller.

Dualshock 3 has vibration and SIXAXIS controller functions.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:58 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
SamuraiSaxen wrote:

Okay okay i get the point. I'll take back my statement about the 360... I didn't think there were so many consolefans out there...

Quote:

Speak for yourself... what you call "superior" controllers are the things that give me cramps, especially in the thumbs... 90% of the action in a controller is done by the thumbs (used to be all of it before the invention of shoulder buttons), whereas in the keyboard it's more distributed across the hands... If I want to button mash, for example, I have to remove a hand from the controller and use my entire hand since it moves faster than my thumb flexing.

Quote:

And I challenge you to try to play Supreme Commander or Oblivion with said control...

Quote:

I'm talking about the bunch of dualshock 2's I have lying around where the analog sticks are off-center (that is, they're constantly exerting some amount of force in a given direction when you're not using them), where the d-pad no longer functions, or where the wire became so frayed near the connection point to the controller that it stopped functioning entirely. On the other hand, I don't remember ever having a keyboard break (the only reason I needed to replace is because the interface with the computer changed)

I'm not a console fan. Wiimote has its advantages, and although I don't like XBOX, I think the controller is ok.

Today I was walking at the downtown, and while I was looking for games on a little store I saw a PlayStation2 keyboard, a mix of Dualshoch 2 and a common keyboard, with analog sticks and everything. Has someone tried this item? Maybe it would be the more "versatile" controller after all :P

btw, I'm writing this post with a Wiimote (my brother is using the PC). It's frustrating sometimes. If I missed something I'll add it tomorrow, because I'm going to sleep now. See ya!