Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 4:23 am

I have some terrific news I recieved today after completing a 1 hour long driving test today I passed and am now officially a P plater (have a probationary licence). I am both excited and relived it has been a long and hard road but one which I am glad I have taken as it has lead to my biggest achievement so far. For those of you unfamiliar with the Victorian system this means I can drive alone with restrictions for three years these restrictions are. Unfortunately I found out today I cant pick up the actual licence for about a week a small price to pay I guess.

* Restrictions on driving high powered vehicles
* Display P plates on front and back of car you are driving
* .00 Blood Alcohol Concentration whilst driving
* Carry probationary licence at all times whilst driving
* Can only drive automatic vehciles

Last edited by Catster2 on 26 Aug 2008, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 4:25 am

a bit strange system, but who knows, maybe it's better.
anyway, congratulations!! !

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 4:30 am

Congratulations :)

Enjoy driving!

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 4:31 am

tomamil wrote:

Yeah it works as it gives people time to learn to drive really well it is called a graduated licencing system and means that you have a learner permit, then a probationary licence before getting a full licence.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 4:40 am

Catster2 wrote:
tomamil wrote:

Yeah it works as it gives people time to learn to drive really well it is called a graduated licencing system and means that you have a learner permit, then a probationary licence before getting a full licence.

after four weeks driving with an instructor and learning the theory, i was tested in the presence of a policeman who then gave me the permition to get the driving licence, which was called a probationary licence too, but with no such restrictions. only that for two years i had to be careful not to do anything stupid while driving and then i just god the full licence. what is a bit strange, because i almost didn't drive during those two years so i actually didn't learn much to get/deserve the full one.

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2008, 5:22 am

Congratulations.

I know I'll probably never do my driving test because i don't have the hand ey co-ordination for it. I may be able to do automatic cars because they are really easy, but manual cars I wouldn't even be able to change a gear. it just seems overly complicated. I think I like Motorbikes more but maybe one without gears, unless of course the gears are like bike gears.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 5:22 am

Catster2 wrote:
I have some terrific news I recieved today after completing a 1 hour long driving test today I passed and am now officially a P plater (have a probationary licence). I am both excited and relived it has been a long and hard road but one which I am glad I have taken as it has lead to my biggest achievement so far. For those of you unfamiliar with the Victorian system this means I can drive alone with restrictions for three years these restrictions are.

Not TOO bad. In the us....

1. Some vehicles can't be driven on the roads anyway.
2. We don't have P plates yet.
3. Does mouthwash count!?!?
4. You have to have a license with you anyway.
5. Most only drive automatic. They ARE easier!

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 5:26 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Catster2 wrote:
I have some terrific news I recieved today after completing a 1 hour long driving test today I passed and am now officially a P plater (have a probationary licence). I am both excited and relived it has been a long and hard road but one which I am glad I have taken as it has lead to my biggest achievement so far. For those of you unfamiliar with the Victorian system this means I can drive alone with restrictions for three years these restrictions are.

I completely agree with you about automatics because of my Asperger's I wont ever try a manual even once I am on a full licence. With the .00 alcohol I think if you can proove a low reading say.01 was caused by mouthwash that is ok otherwise not you can lose your licence. The P plates are IMO a good way of showing others you are a new solo driver therefore most will give you a little more space.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 6:54 am

Nice, I remember when I got my license, one thing I'll never forget is that the officer who passed me had a prosthetic hand. That also happened to be my third attempt at the test, the first time I got enough points docked to fail twice :roll: .

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 6:58 am

The_Cucumber wrote:
Fear nothing, hate nothing, and let nothing anger you.

i like that :)

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:14 am

tomamil wrote:
The_Cucumber wrote:
Fear nothing, hate nothing, and let nothing anger you.

i like that :)

yeah it is a good one

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:34 am

Catster2 wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Catster2 wrote:

I completely agree with you about automatics because of my Asperger's I wont ever try a manual even once I am on a full licence. With the .00 alcohol I think if you can proove a low reading say.01 was caused by mouthwash that is ok otherwise not you can lose your licence. The P plates are IMO a good way of showing others you are a new solo driver therefore most will give you a little more space.

If you can get such understanding, GREAT!! !

As for the P plates, I DID say "YET"! There have been talks about such things here. They figure that STATISTICALLY, people younger than 25, or older than say 65, and you will probably have problems. They are bringing up the idea of things like special tags(like P plates) to limit risk. Of course, the STATES run this, and things are slow to gain acceptance.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:56 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Catster2 wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Catster2 wrote:

If you can get such understanding, GREAT!! !

As for the P plates, I DID say "YET"! There have been talks about such things here. They figure that STATISTICALLY, people younger than 25, or older than say 65, and you will probably have problems. They are bringing up the idea of things like special tags(like P plates) to limit risk. Of course, the STATES run this, and things are slow to gain acceptance.

Here it also varies between states all states require P plates but the amount fo time they have to be displayed for depends on age and experience as well as the particular states rules. My state of Victoria is strict in requring even older new drivers like me to display for three years many only require over 25s to do it for one year.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 10:35 am

Congratulations on getting this far with your license, I would hate the amount of restrictions

In the UK, as long as you got a full license, you can drive almost any vehicle, except some unless you own the vehicle. No restriction on any amount of power. Gain 6 points out of a maximum of 12 and the tests have to be re-done.

I didn't bother with "P" plates as I was driving illegally before that anyway, and with my roadsense and bicycle skills, I had no problems. But "P" plates aren't necessary here. I have been in situations where my driving illegally has helped me. I could've had my car written off if I didn't engage reverse quickly enough (manual/stick)

Again, congratulations 8)

RubieRoze
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2008, 10:37 am

Good job, Catster2! 8)

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 10:47 am

I have always driven automatics--- they are far more common anyway. I did learn how to drive a manual ( badly, but oh well...) and this may come in handy if I am stranded somewhere and my only means of getting out happens to be a manual automobile. But it is not likely.
Here in Florida, you almost HAVE to drive. There are no high-speed trains, only slow ones and most of those are cargo trains. Buses don't run at night and are limited on weekends. No subways. Taxicabs are expensive. And everything is spread out ( we call it "urban sprawl"). This is in the city, mind you. If you live out in the suburbs or more rural areas, there are NO buses and the nearest store might be over a mile away. Add to this that we are in the rainy season, so if you walk outdoors, you WILL get rained on any given time--- it even rains sometimes without any visible clouds in the air! Every day, just about. And it's HOT--- 90's ( farenheit) every day, and humid. Walking anywhere will make you want to drop to the ground and give up.
So if you live in Florida, driving ( even with a restricted license) is a major plus and in many cases, a necessity.