Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What's your favorite monitor: CRT or LCD?
CRT 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
CRT 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
LCD 31%  31%  [ 31 ]
LCD 31%  31%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 100

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Nov 2005, 3:05 am

I've always preferred CRT models because they're cheap, color purity is excellent, they don't have ghosting issues, and the colors are the same regardless of viewing angle. This is especially important when I'm editing graphics-- it's hard to match colors when they change brightness/tint when I look at the screen from a different angle.

My 17" CRT monitor died a few weeks ago. Much to my initial dismay, except for a couple no-name CRT models, EVERYTHING in stores is LCD now. I eventually settled on a Samsung 17" LCD because it looked good, has an 8ms refresh (no ghosting problems at all), and $80 in rebates. Came to $220 in all.

I must say, I'm a convert now! It has some slight color shifting when I look at it from different angles which is annoying, but really not all that bad--nothing like older models I've used. I like how the geometry is absolutely perfect--even very good CRT's usually aren't. The brightness hurt my eyes for the first couple days, but after getting used to it, I find it's actually easier to use for long periods of time because it's so nice and clear. I think the technology has come a long way in the past couple years, and it's the way to go now.

kolrabi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2005, 4:39 am

I like lcds. They don't flicker which is good for my eyes, take less space and weigh less than crts which is good for my back when I have to somehow get them to the third floor and they never blur like crts which is good for my bank account because I don't have to buy a new one just because of that.

Tal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2005, 6:15 am

Not that sure really.

We have LCDs at school, but only in certain rooms, and while I use them for my main computer subject (Computer Literacy), I can't help but notice that the comps in the graphics design rooms are all CRT. Even so, the LCD monitors have already proven themselves to me as a bit of a pain in the a*** but then again, they're pretty old (about 2 or 3 years, I go to a private school) and no-one in their right mind would buy them nowadays, so I can't be sure.

Hopefully by the time I buy my next computer (mine's not THAT old) LCDs will be a lot better.

This message was written using Win XP and a CRT monitor. Whoo! Retro!

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2005, 10:47 am

I love my 21" Sony CRT. :o~~

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2005, 5:16 pm

though all my computers that are in use (except one) have CRT monitors on them I actually do prefer LCDs, I can only use CRT monitors that refresh above 75Hz comfortably whereas LCDs don't appear to require any refresh rate as such and therefor won't flicker. The only LCD monitor I have is the screen fitted to my laptop and that doesn't seem to cause any problems for me whereas incorrectly configured CRTs will. I might consider upgrading to an LCD on my main desktop when I can afford to do so

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2005, 7:20 pm

LCD panels are great because they lack the refresh rate issues associated with CRTs. Even though they've gotten better they still have issues when being viewed off axis. Another issue is that larger panels that have resolutions above 1280x1064, are still very expensive items.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2005, 8:26 pm

I like my LCD. It's easier on the eyes and quieter than CRT.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2005, 8:33 pm

Something about LCD just rubs me the wrong. It feels less detailed to me, and the brightness kills my eyes. I have trouble adjusting to changes like this, but it sucks because my current screen is probably on it's last leg of existence, and then I'll probably end up buying an LCD. I hate major changes.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 10:36 am

Fogman wrote:
LCD panels are great because they lack the refresh rate issues associated with CRTs. Even though they've gotten better they still have issues when being viewed off axis. Another issue is that larger panels that have resolutions above 1280x1064, are still very expensive items.

True, there are issues such as the cost and viewing angles associated with LCDs but i still think they are 10x, if not 1000x, better than CRTs, and they do take up less space than an equivalent CRT does

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 11:14 am

Pikachu wrote:
True, there are issues such as the cost and viewing angles associated with LCDs but i still think they are 10x, if not 1000x, better than CRTs, and they do take up less space than an equivalent CRT does

Also, another thing that I forgot to mention about CRT's is the fact that they are engineered to have a design life of @ 100,000 hours before they die. As far as I know, LCD's and other flat panel technology does not have the same design life.

Then again too, before a CRT dies, and when a CRT screen becomes blurry, and/or with less than vibrant colors, and essentially unusable are two entirely differant things. For what it's worth, I'm using an LCD.

Pete1051
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Nov 2005, 11:14 pm

The future is OLED. and digital paper.

LCD is just a waypoint, I don't like LCD, poor color for most models. The apple cinema display is the only LCD with a decent picture. The biggest problem I have with LCDs is that the color and brightness vary based on what angle you view it at. The difference from center to edge is annoying. But I do graphics and good color is importiant to me.

But until OLEDs become more affordable I'm staying with CRTs. We'll start seeing OLED monitors within the next 5 years. They will make an LCD look thick and clunky. kodak has prototypes 1/8" thick, with color quality rivaling that of CRTs. By 2015 we'll be sticking roll up screens in our pockets.

Pete

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 2:56 pm

CRT for now.

kolrabi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2005, 6:50 am

I love my LCD! :lol:

Tal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2005, 5:21 am

Actually, one thing no-one has brought up yet are the dreaded dead pixels.

Though I admit that LCDs are the way of the future (near future at least), I'd rather stay with my CRT for now.

Now, how about a plasma monitor *drools all over keyboard*

Don't worry, I have another...

Pete1051
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Nov 2005, 10:24 am

The way I see it, plasma falls into the category of TVs, even though they can have VGA & DVI ports. their most common use is for television. Only a small percentage of people actually use it as a computer monitor.

The LCD I would get though is one of those 200dpi ultra high resolution screens. Those are cool.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 12:34 pm

Tal wrote:
Actually, one thing no-one has brought up yet are the dreaded dead pixels.

Or stuck pixels either for that matter. For the record, I used to have an older notebook that I bought used 6 years ago that had a permanantly red.

I also eagerly await affordable OLED/PLED technology.