Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 8:08 pm

Is freedom of speech just the ability to speak, which most humans possess regardless of the nation they live in, or is it the freedom to speak without retaliation? Does freedom of speech have limits? Should there be any place where freedom of speech is denied? Are people only free to speak if others or those in authority approve of the content of their speech? How should things be and what would you want for yourself if you could choose?

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2008, 8:16 pm

If someone says something I dont want to hear I request they quit talking about it, if they continue they seem to be an agonist and I attempt to distance my self if I can not devise a way to enhance their perspective. If they actively persue me when I request that they desist I begin to consider other options considering I would then be being harassed. Communication takes at least 2 parties.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 8:18 pm

Should people in authority have a right to harass their underlings?

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2008, 8:27 pm

Authority is imaginary. The only power anyone has over anyone is the power they delegate to them. I find it quite fascinating when people within a workplace begin to awaken and organize and show the "employer" that their relationship is reciprocal. For example, I have no boss, never have, and never will. We are all people who provide a service. Negotiating terms is incumbent upon all parties involved.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 8:32 pm

Freedom of speech is quite meaningless. Were we able to storm the whitehouse when GWB took office? No. There is a large standing army there to prevent that. We are able to complain about it tho-WHOOPDEE-FRIGGIN-DOO! We are pacified by this freedom that's ours to begin with anyway. Nobody "gives" me freedom, I have it. Period.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 8:55 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Is freedom of speech just the ability to speak, which most humans possess regardless of the nation they live in, or is it the freedom to speak without retaliation?
I like to think of freedom of speech as freedom to think. I can think any dang thing I want and there's nothing anyone can do about it. As long as I'm not breaking laws, I am also free to speak them. Though in real life, I am pretty quiet.
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Does freedom of speech have limits?
I guess it depends on where you live. In the US we have laws against hate speech, verbal and sexual harrassment, threats of violence, and so on.
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Should there be any place where freedom of speech is denied?
Yes. Especially when babies are sleeping.
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Are people only free to speak if others or those in authority approve of the content of their speech?
Sometimes it certainly seems that way.
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
How should things be and what would you want for yourself if you could choose?
I'm pretty content with the way things are.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:05 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Is freedom of speech just the ability to speak, which most humans possess regardless of the nation they live in, or is it the freedom to speak without retaliation?

Freedom to speak without retaliation excepting an otherwise legitimate use of the property of someone who opposes it.
Quote:
Does freedom of speech have limits?

Yes/no. I think there are legitimate ways to formulate the "can't cry fire in a crowded theater" thing without it being infringement on the freedom of speech per se.
Quote:
Should there be any place where freedom of speech is denied?

Again, subject only to the legitimate uses of the property of individuals can it be limited.
Quote:
Are people only free to speak if others or those in authority approve of the content of their speech?

No.

Freedom of speech, like all freedoms, is just a specific example of property rights.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:23 pm

freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from others' speech.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:36 pm

I think in certain situations its ok to deny the right to free speech, I don't think prisoners
deserve the right, I also believe with enlisted personal there needs to be limits to what
can be freely spoken, as some information is on a need to know basis. But in a free
nation all citizens deserve the right for free speech, regardless of political or religious
views, and this should include the right to be politically incorrect.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:39 pm

I agree with twoshots. Freedom of speech is an example of a property right.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:50 pm

spudnik wrote:
I think in certain situations its ok to deny the right to free speech, I don't think prisoners
deserve the right, I also believe with enlisted personal there needs to be limits to what
can be freely spoken, as some information is on a need to know basis. But in a free
nation all citizens deserve the right for free speech, regardless of political or religious

The question is, how limited or how permisive free speech should be? and how accurately can we difference politically incorrect from hate speech or crime speech?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:52 pm

greenblue wrote:
spudnik wrote:

The question is, how limited or how permisive free speech should be? and how accurately can we difference politically incorrect from hate speech or crime speech?

You are stealing my lines!! :twisted:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:02 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
You are stealing my lines!! :twisted:

Really? hmmm, you may be a bad influence on me. :P
It is an honest question though.

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2008, 10:04 pm

Communication is more powerful than money.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:09 pm

Psimulus wrote:
Communication is more powerful than money.

How? What do you mean?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 11:03 pm

greenblue wrote:
spudnik wrote:

Well when politically incorrect crosses the line into hate rhetoric, against a race, gender, or sexual orientation, I agree, it would be a very fine line determining what is politically incorrect from hate or crime speech. I would assume people would know the difference, but that isn't always the case. I do think people get a little carried away with political correctness, banning Christmas themes at city or school functions was the first time I had ever heard the term, personally that is form of political incorrectness too, if people want to get technical, as it also crosses the line against christians who celebrate those holidays.