Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2008, 2:58 am

I believe that the core ideology envisioned by the founders of america was a government for the people and by the people. They envisioned an America that was self governing. Is the nation governed by the people and for the people? All of them? I dont think so. I think rather it is governed by some for some. Fake smiles and artificiality abound.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 5:35 am

Corrupt? Of course! Not so much by a national standard; but by individuals.
What else can be expected of politicians? Anything for bigger pay, greater recognition and a long and secure career. Not so much malicious corruption as selfish.
Most definetly a government for the peole, by the people - just with selective definitions on specifically whom.
Other nations are no better; but other nations aren't heavily armed insular Christians with heavy military involvement the world over. Not necessarily a bad thing; better than communism or Islamic fascism, but Americans do have to realize the impact they have.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 10:09 am

velodog wrote:
As long as corruption is being discussed and the thread starter is a Finn then why did you leave out the Centre Party's Parliamentary leader Timo Kalli making a public point of not following a law he had voted for regarding reporting of the sources of political contributions of over 1700 euros last May Sand? Apparently there was no legal sanctions available as the law was written to force compliance. Was this a simple oversight on the part of Finnish politicians? Or was it deliberate corruption? It seems to have involved many members of Finlands ruling party. Remove the beam from your own eye as*hole. This glossing over of the scandal while using a single court ruling to indict the entire US as being totally corrupt smells like Euro trash America bashing. f**** you and the Reindeer you rode in on Sand. I don't give a f**** whether Europeans or Aussies like how some of us vote here in the USA or if any of you approve of how our Government is structured.

Aside from the fact that I am a US citizen concerned with the state of the government now fouling the country and its constitution, I did not disclaim any corruption anywhere else. Evidently you feel corruption anywhere in the world justifies the lousiest federal government the USA has ever seen. That has no appeal for me.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:22 am

Yes, the USA is totally corrupt. That's the reason for ketchup: babies and old people are bland.

nudel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2008, 1:23 pm

Aside from the whole corruption debate, what's so bad about this particular decision?
Did you read this?

Quote:
There is a two- to eight-year incubation period for mad cow disease. Because most cattle slaughtered in the United States are less than 24 months old, the most common mad cow disease test is unlikely to catch the disease, the appeals court noted. If the government does not control the tests, the USDA is worried about beef exporters unilaterally giving consumers false assurance.

I think that justifies their decision. Putting a "BSE tested" sticker on your product when the test used doesn't actually work is deception.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 9:33 pm

Of course, under that logic each shipment of beef should contain the warning that there is a danger of mad cow disease.

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2008, 6:05 am

There are cover-ups in America regarding tainted beef and tainted government. America wouldn't even be what it is without the wholesale slaughter of the American INdian and the subsequent destruction of that culture, a cover-up of gigantic proportions as American government of the 19th century portrayed the American Indian as a mindless savage. That was a lie, but the lie stuck. I'm just using it as an example; there are plenty more examples of America taking the less than righteous path to continental and then world domination. America got where it is by brushing and sweeping aside all nay-sayers. What makes us tick, and what give us hope, is the fact that we can rely on a solid constitution, one of the oldest in the world, that upholds the individual's rights. Even though it seems that the individual is being attacked from all angles and being forced to comply and blend in, oh whatever it takes to reassure those in the majority that they are not threatened by difference and dissent. But to dissent is human. American tradition of the independent voice and spirit is belied by the track record of American government, especially the past eight years (see legislation for electronic surveillance -- let's all celebrate our new police state). We can still hope that Americans think independently and want to see what is right done, and what is wrong cast aside, but so many think with their profits and their ambition, and not with their independent spirit that it seems these days that the true independent spirit is to be found in Western Europe. I hope maybe we can take back the independence and the freedom that America is known for within the next several months.

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2008, 10:18 am

http://www.kucinich.us/

Hes looking for 1,000,000 signatures by the eve of September 11th. One thing I think many of can agree upon is the erosion of our civil liberties. Please sign the petition to impeach on the grounds of abuses of power and failure to defend our constitution. Thank you.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 2:37 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Yes, the USA is totally corrupt. That's the reason for ketchup: babies and old people are bland.

LOL - plus, the red color goes well with soylent green.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 10:27 pm

There are none so bland as those with bad taste.