Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2008, 2:46 pm

I seem to get very spastic when I am conversing with anyone in authority like a boss or cop. And it's silly and inexplicable especially when I havn't done anything wrong. However my nervousness makes me look suspect if seems whether I'm in a store or stopped at a traffic check. Granted I have had to deal with being accused of shoplifting and other rediculous experiences so that doesn't help.
How do you handle this?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 3:08 pm

I think Aspies have reason to be scared of authorities. We are very prone to upsetting them and should stay away from them. Because we're not naturally, automatically programmed to suck up to someone just because they have power over us, like NTs are. So it's understandable and a self-protecting sign to be very alert in these interactions. See: power relations unawareness, my thread, at http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts37038-start30.html

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 3:11 pm

yep, I am aprrehensive, I try to get it under control, but don't achieve much. And when I get angry with someone who puts out authority to me I become really angry and agressive and in the course of verbal attack I start stammering too...I shout and some people alswyas question me why I shout. but I feel cornered even when I know I am in the right and alos my reasoning stops as I get black outs in memory for finding arguments

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2008, 3:57 pm

If I don't know them (I know my direct boss atm and am on good terms with her) then I get quite nervous. Heck, I even get nervous going through those detectors at the store... even though I know there is no reason for them to go off. Stupid unreasonable fears. :x

Landaree
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2008, 4:05 pm

Those kind of situations sometimes unnerve me, but not because of the usual irrational fear of being caught doing wrong even if you haven't done so. What irks me is that, in some aspects, people with authority sometimes tend to expect certain subtle reactions from you, more than NTs usually do.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 5:03 pm

yeah, I get that a lot. that's why I stopped going to supermarkets and other big shops with security guards (sephore being one of the worst in this kind). I just always got followed by the security guys, got my bag checked a number of times (they said I looked suspicious).

the worst thing happened to me on Heathrow though. they didn't want to let me through the pass control without an x-ray. I waited for it for 8 hours. then they said that they thought I was a drug mule... they did say sorry though. I wish I knew I had Aspergers back then, maybe I could make them feel really stupid about abusing a poor autistic child for no reason (I was 18 then) ;D

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2008, 5:59 pm

I don't like authority figures, they overload me.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 6:02 pm

an issue no solved with my dad, so I fought my dad in every authority. Say 'no' to me and I charge!! !

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 6:19 pm

ChristinaCSB wrote:
I don't like authority figures, they overload me.
Why do you think they call them "pigs?"

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 7:22 pm

Authority figures and condecending people freak me out. When I was a phlebotomist my doctors would come into the lab and want me to draw thier blood. They were in essence my bosses and eventhough I am very good at what I do I would have a panic attack....trembling all over. Its very difficult to draw blood when you are shaking like a leaf and unable to speak. Its good that I dont do this type of work anymore...it was just too much for me.

31 Aug 2008, 8:10 pm

I don't seem to have troubles with them but every time my boss has to talk to me, I get nervous. I just answer their questions, do as they say and that's it.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

It's quite irritating when authority figures are wrong and you aren't allowed to correct them. I don't like how humanity works. People often get into authority simply because they are more assertive, not because they are more knowledgeable or intelligent. It's a total crock.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2008, 9:29 am

I have had some bad experiences for sure myself. I was at a gas station that I have stopped out really since it opened. I also had to add brake fluid to my car so I did that in the parking lot.
Then I decided to pick out a magazine which is never easy ya know? Can't remember if I was looking for anything else and suddenly this old man trooper stomps in and says "I would watch her if I were you". Loud enough for everyone to hear. Major power trip :roll: I still see this jerk around town I think it's him, but thankfully he is retired! I still can't believe I had to endure that. If it happened now I could probably manage it better, because he didn't even talk to me he just blasted me with NO proof I was guilty.
If it happened recently I consider reporting the terd, but then who wants the local troopers and others breathing down your neck. Unbelievable even now.

And I have been accused of shoplifting and other having store personel follow me around. Thinking about it no wonder we get anxiety after years of these type of experinces plus not being able to wear "the mask" average people do in such situations.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 10:19 am

marshall wrote:
It's quite irritating when authority figures are wrong and you aren't allowed to correct them. I don't like how humanity works. People often get into authority simply because they are more assertive, not because they are more knowledgeable or intelligent. It's a total crock.
The main reason they don't like us is that we expose them for what they are.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 10:34 am

marshall wrote:

yes, that's it. my former supervisor was great, he was a god to me. he didn't mind to admit that he didn't know something or that he's got something all wrong. he didn't mind me teaching him some new things about computers. at the same time was realy great at his job, he achieved the higher position possible in his area, everyone respected him, he was just natural. sometimes even the best ones make mistakes and he was never afraid of admiting it.

now i have younger supervisor who is not very good and he is not even able to admit when he makes a mistake. there is absolutely nothing to admire him for. i don't mind if people do mistakes, but when they refuse admiting it, that's very bad.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 10:39 am

tomamil wrote:
marshall wrote:

yes, that's it. my former supervisor was great, he was a god to me. he didn't mind to admit that he didn't know something or that he's got something all wrong. he didn't mind me teaching him some new things about computers. at the same time was realy great at his job, he achieved the higher position possible in his area, everyone respected him, he was just natural. sometimes even the best ones make mistakes and he was never afraid of admiting it.

now i have younger supervisor who is not very good and he is not even able to admit when he makes a mistake. there is absolutely nothing to admire him for. i don't mind if people do mistakes, but when they refuse admiting it, that's very bad.

I agree, they act like they are superior and I cannot stand anyone like that. There is nothing to admire them about. This is why I cannot stand my mother in law as well... she is quick to point out a mistake that someone else that made but she will never admit to making any of her own. Oh well, I guess that means she is not human... not surprised, she is some kind of weird creature anyway. Because if you live your life without ever making a mistake, you just simply are not human! So next time ask your new supervisor if he is really from planet Earth, or if he some alien from some other fat away planet... if he says "oh course I am from here".. your response would be "oh really, well... could have fooled me, if you have never made a mistake in your life, that just means you are not human so what the heck are you then?".. errr maybe not, that could get you the pink slip. But... funny thought though :)